2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

factory stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 PM
SoonerDaze
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory stereo

I'm new to the forum. My wife drives a 2007 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer. We bought it new, and the only thing I regret is I didn't get navigation. Instead it has the 6 disc in dash unit with subwoofer, and controls for the rear DVD system.

I want to purchase a factory navigation unit because I like the stock look and I want to keep all the rear controls, and all of the other facets inherent to stock unit that might be lost with an aftermarket HU.

Is there a list somewhere of model numbers that will work "out of the box", "plug and play" with our Expedition? I was hoping I could simply purchase a used model from craigslist or ebay, but I really don't know what I should be looking for.

I've been researching here, and frankly, am becoming more confused with every search. I've read where it takes programming to be made to work, and that there are folks out there that will do it for a reasonable price. I'm willing to go through something like that if it's necessary.

Any advice/input the board can provide me would be a HUGE help! I just don't want to waste 7 or 8 hundred dollars on a unit that ultimately won't work as a totally compatible solution.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:46 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Like you, I was going to install a radio with navigation HU as well but ended up mounting my iPad and using a Bluetooth(Belkin) adapter to the AUX in. Personally I think its a better option due to price, flexibility, minimal wires and no installation, with an iPad your not only getting something that plays music/videos and navigation but its not permanent in the event you sell your SUV and its no longer attracts theft.

I have a 3g iPad and run TomTom, I have had very good success using the traffic service as well.

For mounting I am using a case from Modulr and their slim wall mount affixed to the dash.
w w w.modulr.c o m

Search Amazon for the following.
Belkin Bluetooth Car Hands-Free Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version

This setup works for me and my requirements.. I have two kids and Modulr also has headrest strap to allow the kids to watch a movie on long trips and I use the bluetooth to throw the movies audio through the stock radio.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:10 AM
SoonerDaze
New User
Thank you for sharing your setup. That sounds like a good solution for sure, but I hate Apple and refuse to buy any of their products I know that's closed-minded, but we all have our faults. LOL!

Surely there's a service out there that specializes in retrofitting these units for owners like me - especially if there's a cost for programming. I would think there would be a published list somewhere of compatible models based on vehicle.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 PM
rexster314
Senior User
Go to Schram Auto Parts - The Best in New and Used Parts. I see on another board that they have a pretty good reputation for used auto parts. A quick check indicates that they have what you might be looking for. They also can program the unit to your vehicle VIN if needed. Ebay might be somewhere to look also. You realize that you'll have to run the wire for the GPS too?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM
SoonerDaze
New User
I'm assuming you're referring to the antenna? Yeah, I do realize the antenna will be an addition since the HU that came with it, doesn't have nav; however, I'm not sure what all that entails or how difficult that will prove to be.

I think I can run down a used unit with little problem, but I want to make sure I buy one that will work and work seamlessly. For that, I'm willing to pay. I just don't want to pay for something less than that.

Surely there's a list somewhere of models that will work with "x" vehicle outfitted with "x" options

Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 PM
rexster314
Senior User
That's my point, if you call Schram, they can tell you what's compatible. They've been very helpful on the Enclave forum I'm still on

Old 09-12-2012, 02:50 PM
SoonerDaze
New User
Excellent, thanks. I'll let you know what I find out...

Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
SoonerDaze, there are a lot of factory ones on ebay that will work but will still need to be programmed to your specific vehicle and options. Take a look for 2007-2008 OEM ones that fit Expedition and F150's.
The ones for F250 and 350's usually have light blue illumination on the buttons.
Hooking up the NAV antenna is not hard at all. Ford sells them seperate and they come with super strong double sided tape that you can adhere to the bracing hidden inside the dash. I added this setup to my 06 F150 and all said and done was about a 20 min install. When I was looking at Expeditions it was a must have for me because I'm a big fan of the factory look and how the unit integrates with the rear DVD system.

p.s. The 07 08 Expy's that came factory with NAV also have a button on the steering wheel for voice control over the unit. Not sure if the wiring is already there or not to make it functional. Good luck.

Matt

Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
SoonerDaze
New User
Matt, I really appreciate the insight. Your reinforcement has definitely helped me know which direction to go in. Does the following link look like what you're alluding to: Ford factory GPS navigation 6 disc CD mp3 radio 07 08 09 7F9T-18K931-CD | eBay

I still think it's crazy to think we can't check that part number in the listing against the VIN or some other descriptor to make sure it's compatible.

If you used one, was locating a programmer outside of the dealer, difficult?

Old 09-13-2012, 03:03 PM
SoonerDaze
New User
I just found a unit from a 2009 Explorer. They said it will work with my setup even though I only have a 2007. It doesn't use a DVD for nav I don't think. I'm assuming this is the kind of programming I'll have to find someone to do to make it work with my Expedition's options. Just nervous about pulling the trigger and getting something that won't work, and I HATE dealers - they ALWAYS have ulterior motives in my experience. I don't trust a word they say.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:17 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
Yes. The one on ebay is like what I was referring to but would still need programming.
It would also look correct for your 07 because it doesnt have the chrome ***** found in the later models.

As for the 09 Explorer one I dont think it would work as Ford changed manufacturers in 09 and I believe the newer style require an external amp. You want the one made by Pioneer that uses a Map Disc.

The NAV came factory in my Expedition and the one I bought for my 150 was already preprogrammed when I bought it. Take a look into United Radio as I've heard they do programming.

United Radio - Automotive Electronics - Quality Electronics Service Since 1923

Matt