6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2005 6.0L No Start headache

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 PM
WIKD
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 6.0L No Start headache

OK this has literally been going on for over 2 years and I have had 3 different shops work on it but it's still happening. I come out and try the truck and it turns over without difficulty but does not start. This only happens when the truck has sat at least overnight. It never happens when the truck is warm. It usually happens 2 to 6 mos apart but lately it's been every few weeks. heres what has been done and what I was told was checked:
  1. Ford dealership stated it was due to having a program in system. They updated computer and truck started.
  2. 3 days later back to same dealership. They R&R high pressure pump and replace HPOP fitting.
  3. Removed IPR and inspected screen, cleaned and reinstalled
  4. Performed high pressure oil leak, no leaks, checked harness, no shorts found. Found CMP intermittent on start up. Replaced CMP sensor.
  5. Replaced VGT connector with CMP connector
  6. Batteries were found to be weak, replaced both batteries.

There were also 6 other times the truck would not start but I came back, later in the day, and it started right up. I've been told the oil pressure is fine and fuel pressure is fine. In fact the last place says there is no reason it won't start, obviously there is since it won't. The last time was the replacing the batteries idea. There has also never been any codes when it won't start according to the dealerships and independent. I also had Matt write a tune disabling PATS in case that was it but that didn't stop it. It does this whether there is a tune in or whether I return it to stock. Now it sits in my driveway and won't start and I will need to tow it somewhere but it's been to three shops, 2 Ford and 1 independent, and still has the exact same problem. Any help would be appreciated. Even a garage in Central Florida to take it. I've been to two different Mullinax's and Mobile Oval at the recommendations of those here.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:05 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
2005 Super Duty never had a PATS to start .....Do you have any way to measure the voltage at the FICM with key off - then key on - then DURING a START, then finally running at 2000 RPM?

If you don't already have one buying a tool such as the SCAN GAUGE II or equivalent will help you - AND US - diagnose your problem. It also will be able to do the test above.

Here's how to test the FICM - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...procedure.html

Lots of good info for you up in the 6.0 Tech Folder at the top of the 6.0 forum 1st page.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 PM
WIKD
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the help Bud. I've read through quite a bit of info in the tech section on the 6.0 but still can't find a direction to follow and apparently neither can the techs :-) . And unfortunately the Excursions did come with the PATS system but I believed that has been ruled out. As for the FICM, I sat there and watched as the last mechanic tested everything he could think of and telling me what the numbers should be and what they were. Each time they were within the parameters he was looking for. I believe the FICM tested at 47.5 and never dropped below 47 when it was being cranked. Since each test he performed came up with the correct results he started playing with harnesses trying to find any possible short. He is the one that made the statement that there was nothing keeping the truck from starting. After a few hours and the truck sitting on a charger because the batteries had drained down he just walked out there and tried it before he left for the day and it started up. Still no codes and he has no idea what was keeping it from starting.
Any additional info I can give you to help diagnose or steer me in the right direction let me know. If you want the numbers for the tests I'll get them too.

Last edited by WIKD; 09-02-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: wording
Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Get a ScanGaugeII going its good to have regaurdless

could be a flakey ICP sensor or wire harness Issue

wiggle the wire harness and try to start

need the SGII to see if its in sync among other stuff

Old 09-02-2012, 06:59 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
OOPS...you having the Excursion didn't sink in..... sorry 'bout that Chief! I agree with ^ Benny!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:33 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
noone can really fix an issue if it is not currently happing. if it starts and runs then 99%of the time it will all look normal.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:05 AM
WIKD
Mountain Pass
No problem Bud. Benny I'll have to pick one up. I have the Edge CTS and a SCT. Will either give me any of the info you need? I tried the wiggle idea but no go.
Cheezit I completely agree. It seems like when the technicians are checking it they can't find anything wrong as they check one thing after another. Then at some point it starts for them and at that point they can't diagnose anything further because it starts. And once it starts it will not act up again until after it sits at least overnight and usually not for a week to 6 months. Very aggravating and right now causing problems for me getting to work since it's happening so often. Which again might be a symptom. For 2 years there was at least a 3 month interval between problems, sometimes 6 months. Now it has happened 4 times in less than a month.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 AM
WIKD
Mountain Pass
OK found a Scan Gauge 2 locally for a good price. Will pick it up today. once it's connected what info do I need to log?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Since it is sitting and not starting, what is the ICP when cranking (and IPR %)?

Did they not replace the dummy plugs when they did the STC ftting?

Personally, I would be sending the FICM off (or AT LEAST asking Ed for a loaner) - they can go bad on the logic side as well as the power side.

What you need (to begin with):
ICP (pressure)
ICP volts
IPR%
FICM SYNC
Cam/Crank SYNC
Rpms
FICM MPower
FICM Vpower
Vref
When engine is cold, verify that EBP, MAP, and Baro are all the same value (within a few tenths).

Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 AM
WIKD
Mountain Pass
Thanks Mark. I'll get those values today. I guess I'm going to try and find the problem since 3 shops have not been able to. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:02 PM
WIKD
Mountain Pass
First off thanks for the help and the nudge to get a scan gauge II. Here are the results of the tests I've done so far. i think at least there is one starting point.

What you need (to begin with):
ICP (pressure) KO 57 745-1236 while cranking
ICP volts
IPR%
FICM SYNC
Cam/Crank SYNC No sync
Rpms
FICM MPower 11.0-11.5
FICM Vpower 47.5-48
Vref 4

Old 09-03-2012, 05:19 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

start chasing the sync issue. thats why its not starting

Old 09-03-2012, 05:19 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,702 Posts
What are your rpms? Look for FICM Sync!

Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
start chasing the sync issue. thats why its not starting
I bet it has something to do with the CMP sensor replacement the dealership did and I'm thinking a harness issue or maybe oil contamination in the CMP sensor plug.

I'm not saying it was something the dealership did or caused.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:35 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

cmp connector is often damaged by a fuel leak.

Quick Reply: 2005 6.0L No Start headache