Misbehaving

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
wallsy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misbehaving

Guy,s'

My F350 has just started to play up. It is getting a rough idle, like surging and even stalled when sitting and idling. There is on power loss when driving and excelerating either. I had the guys who service my work ute hook up a diagnostic machine to it to see if there were any fault codes in the computer, but there was none. I have noticed that sometimes when you start it, the engine light stays on for 1 to 2 kms before going off itself, and still no fault registered in the computer. Thoughts as to what it could be!! Let me know please before it sticks me some place and has to come home on a tow truck.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:13 AM
Loaf4000
Freshman User
i wood change the CPS

good luck
Rod

Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Just researching it a bit, and looks like maybe a CPS as you said or ICP? May just change both. That will eliminate them as a problem.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:43 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Just to confirm your first post so:

NO power loss when driving normally or when accelerating?

Old 08-31-2012, 05:50 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

before you go out spending. just disconnect the cps and see if the idle smooths out. The pcm will go to default. if it does then yes change the cps.
what did they use to read codes ?? and where are you located

Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Simon,
Thats correct mate. No power loss when driving. Runs as usual. Just an idle issue. Weird hey.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:16 AM
wallsy
Senior User
Brian,

They used a laptop arrangement diagnostic machine. It is multi use by the look of things for various vehicles. Not sure what is was called but it looked expensive. I am just north of the Gold Coast, Basically half way between brisbane and the Goldie. I will try that tomorrow. I will order a new CPS as it could probably do with one. I had it idleing for 15 mins the other day and it mucked up 3 times. It also stalled. What ever it is, it is trying to break.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:54 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

I just remembered that there is a current safety recall on our CPS (well in NSW anyways) You might want to give ya local Ford service and ring. Order one from Clay. You should carry a spare . You will fall over backwards when you see how much they want for one here. And I have a spare i can ship up until your one arrives. If ya ICP was going ya mates would of picked that up (low HPOP pressure)

Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 PM
wallsy
Senior User
Had a look this morning at it. Looks like a pig of a place to get to. I ordered 3 last night, off the same guy who sold me my new F350 emblems all for $72.00 air freighted. OEM ones as well. I also ordered an ICP and will just change that one as well so that I know it is new and having no issues, for a while anyway.Thanks for the offer Brian. If I wasn't working in Rockhampton this week and needed it, I would have taken you up on the offer.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 PM
wallsy
Senior User
Looking at changing the IPR while I have the air intake and turbo off, doing the bellow pipes etc. I have tried to do some research on chaning them and the issues, but nothing. There is alot on the 6.0L IPR and what a crap job it is, but next to nothing on the 7.3L. Has anybody changed one and what issues if any have you had?

Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
So I should be carrying a spare ICP then? I'll order it off of Clay when I order my FRx then...

My Hutch mod kit is currently being Fed-ex'd to Aus. Diesel-Site wanted $200 US to ship 8 volumetric lbs to Oz via UPS (who are expensive =). I opted for UPS ground freighted it to my Viaddress.com address in Indiana for $15, the had Viaddress non-express Fed-ex'd it to here for $78.

Also picked up a "Facet" solid state fuel transfer pump from Out-of-Town 4WD near Newcastle for $85 delivered (with 3/8" brass barbs). OOT 4WD rate the Facet pumps as they'll run even when submerged in water and continue to run OK afterwards.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:18 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by wallsy
Looking at changing the IPR while I have the air intake and turbo off, doing the bellow pipes etc. I have tried to do some research on chaning them and the issues, but nothing. There is alot on the 6.0L IPR and what a crap job it is, but next to nothing on the 7.3L. Has anybody changed one and what issues if any have you had?
the only hard part is access. There is a nut on the end of it (rather flimsy at that). Undo it and it will slide off.
A faulty ICP would be more common than a IPR. I would have a spare ICP at home Simon. I cant see a need to carry it around in the truck. Dont follow Wallsy lead he just likes spending money. lol.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 PM
wallsy
Senior User
Just looking for reliability boys, thats all. This heap has already been on the back of a tow truck once in a year. Don't want to repeat that episode again. And as for the money, I have a long way to go to catch up to, "the master of spending money" (Brian). Besides what else would you spend the money on. Surely not the wife!!!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:25 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Thats the spirit bruva.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:23 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Bollocks. ICP sensor is US$130 !

Can't imagine how much the Aussie stealerships want for one if a US$28 thermostat retails for AUD$211 here!

They'd have to be charging > $1000 for an ICP sensor here you'd think - ouch !

Quick Reply: Misbehaving