Hose-in-Hose

Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hose-in-Hose

For all you guys that have a heated WVO systems what did you use for your Hose-in-Hose fuel line? I have a few ideas on what I want to use but was just curious if there is a good dependable tube/hose that won't react with WVO, high heat and coolant.

Diesel Rod

Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,139 Posts
Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
For all you guys that have a heated WVO systems what did you use for your Hose-in-Hose fuel line? I have a few ideas on what I want to use but was just curious if there is a good dependable tube/hose that won't react with WVO, high heat and coolant.

Diesel Rod
Aluminum tubing. I like the heavier wall stuff myself, but lots of people use the smaller stuff. I love mcmaster. Besides endless project fodder, most of the stuff I've ordered from them I had in (2) days and some even the NEXT DAY!
McMaster-Carr

This is a 'lil cheaper if ya don't need more than 12ft lengths:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...umtube_5052.ph

Shop around for your 3/4" heater hose. It won't see any WVO, except on the outside from leaks or spills - but ya won't have any of those if you do a good job - right? I've used a few brands and don't know of anyone ever having issues with quality of hose. The dually has had some >$4/ft silicone hose where it is exposed to UV - 'cause it should hold up better there. (5) yrs/100k miles in service now.

The ends are a 1/2" (black iron is fine, but brass is purtier) tee with a 3/4" hose barb on one side and a 3/8" compression adapter on the other. The 90* side of the tee gets a hose barb to connect coolant to the TIH section. You'll see I used street 90's under the truck so all the hoses/lines go the same direction. I also use nylon ferrules on the compression fittings (get them at hardware store). These are more forgiving than brass ferrules and are much, much easier to remove if you ever needed to disassemble TIH for some reason.

A picture worth a 1000 words?

Here's where the TIH used to terminate under my hood.

I still get a kick out of seeing these OLD pictures. That particular 'sight glass' filter was never put into service - I did use one with the barbs built into it for quite awhile though. The Weatherhead diesel hose failed. I never had a leak, but replaced ALL of it after inspecting a piece after about 6mths - it was all checked up and deteriorating inside...

Since I'm reminiscing, I also learned about Loctite 545 Thread sealant. (not to be confused with thread locker -mmmkay?) This stuff is sooooo much better than the watery, white rectum seal stuff at autoparts/hardware. For larger fittings I like Gasoila brand thread sealant.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
i did exactly what Jason did, but the first time run'n down the road/freeway, i kicked something up. That instance then, i pondered on a new idea of a HiH/TiH assy. I didnt feel comfortable of the thought that the hose is exposed (outside frame) to any/alll raod elements/debris. SO, i ordered from McMaster, the 3/8 thin wall aluminum tubing and a 1in aluminum tubing (both 6ft). Then ordered 2-5/8in aluminum barb fittings and a 1ft piece of 5/8in aluminum tubing, to attach the barbs to the 5/8 tunbing. Finally, order from same place, 2-1in aluminum caps, to weld onto the tubing. There, i then installed the 2-5/8 barbs at an angle off the 1in tubing, and already had the 3/8in hole drilled outta the caps to feed the 3/8in tubing thru it. Walah..an all aluminum TiT assy, that the road or any debris thrown at it, cant hurt.

I'll post pics of it to my album when i get home...

Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,139 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
i did exactly what Jason did, but the first time run'n down the road/freeway, i kicked something up. That instance then, i pondered on a new idea of a HiH/TiH assy. I didnt feel comfortable of the thought that the hose is exposed (outside frame) to any/alll raod elements/debris. SO, i ordered from McMaster, the 3/8 thin wall aluminum tubing and a 1in aluminum tubing (both 6ft). Then ordered 2-5/8in aluminum barb fittings and a 1ft piece of 5/8in aluminum tubing, to attach the barbs to the 5/8 tunbing. Finally, order from same place, 2-1in aluminum caps, to weld onto the tubing. There, i then installed the 2-5/8 barbs at an angle off the 1in tubing, and already had the 3/8in hole drilled outta the caps to feed the 3/8in tubing thru it. Walah..an all aluminum TiT assy, that the road or any debris thrown at it, cant hurt.

I'll post pics of it to my album when i get home...
Looking forward to the pics. In 270k miles of highway driving all over the country - I haven't had a problem yet....... I do have valves on the coolant lines so I can isolate the VO system loop if I happen to snag a TIH section when trampling over a Prius or Smart car!

On my original system, the TIH ran directly over the rear tire and I did feel the need to protect it there. This is the only pic I could find easily, but you can see part of TIH lines inside aluminum channel (held up with a c-clamp here - during construction):

I have considered using black iron pipe instead of heater hose, but I worry the tubing could get a hole worn in it from rubbing the inside of the pipe...

Old 09-06-2012, 01:14 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
What up Jason. Mine runs down pass side frame on outside, then splits up to corner of bed where I notched it to feed the bosx that houses the system. I'll get pics up tonite....not home at moment and also will be downloaded to album, because for life of me can't figure how to load on post.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:59 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool, thanks alot for the links. My heater hose is all inside the frame rail so I am not worried about road debris, I also have valves to isolate the heater hose as well.

I would like to have this done before winter but fall harvest is starting and I will prolly be pretty busy till halloween....

Diesel Rod

Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
alright guys, pics loaded to wvo album. i havnt yet installed it since been busy, hopefully this weekend though. You can see from pics where my TiH runs down frame, and also the hoses run'n from bed of truck where my box is, that houses everything.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
[QUOTE=timmyboy76;12244423]Clean look'n there, Jason. I should've painted my black pipe unions. I got the pics up in the album since i can not figure how to post to my threads. Everything incapsulated in the box i welded up..(made it look construction like), for if any reason, i cut a few lines, turn a ball valve, and out the box comes. You can see the TiH run'n down p/s frame, using 2-angle metal pieces to purch it up on, with existing holes in frame.

Somewhat stoked how i got all the items in box, and cant wait to install the all TiT assy, for peace of mind.

Jayson, think it was you that responded to my thread of having "high psi" while run'n d2, building up on wvo side. I ended up "regulating" it with a greascar FPR. Got the FPR kit from an old oem fuel bowl assy, installed it, and now, she'll "trickle" d2 at 95psi, so you can probably wonder WHAT type pressure i was seeing throughout the wvo system, until it reached operating wvo temps. And with wvo turned on, FPR sees a steady 75psi from the wvodesigns' pump. Ya, you thought the increase in pressure was from the S.S. oem injectors.