EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Will the F150 tow my toy hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the F150 tow my toy hauler?

Been looking at Diesel trucks lately and decided to research the f150 eco boost as well. I tow an Attitude 27 foot long toy Hauler that empty weighs 7200 and loaded weighs about 10k to 10.5k. Will the f150 tow my Hauler very well or should I stay with diesel power? I currently tow with my 8.1 gasser but want a pickup with better empty mpgs! What are your opinions on towing near the limits with the ecoboost? I get between 6 and 9 mpgs with my current Sub 8.1 depends on speed and terrain.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 AM
thomastl
Senior User
As you well know it is not just hte weight but the wind drag as well.
I guess it all depends on how many miles a year you tow, what distance each tow is, and at what speed.
If you want to get out on the interstate and run 70 mph then I would stick w/ a diesel.
Local and short trips - I would go w/ the ecoboost. It will amaze you at the power.

I tow 6500 lbs large boat that blocks a lot of wind. I can tow it anywhere at 70+ mph no problems. It really is amazing to me how good it does.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:37 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
properly equipped ecoboost F150 is rated for 11300...Honestly, I don't know that I'd want to pull that much weight with an Ecoboost for very long. I have (and love) an Ecoboost, and while it is a very capable truck and motor, towing a 6600# travel trailer netted me single digit mpg. I don't tow very far at a time so it doesn't bother me. If I were doing cross country trips on a regular basis I'd be investing in a diesel. If your just driving a few miles at a time from your home to a racetrack or something, the Ecoboost would be a superb choice. One other thing, read up on the frontal area calculation of your trailer and what the trucks of choice are rated to pull. I know for a fact that most people ignore this part of towing. It makes a huge difference what size of wind plow you're trying to move down the highway...especially when you get into a wind...

Old 08-29-2012, 02:50 PM
wyo2track
Freshman User
Originally Posted by scottman70
Been looking at Diesel trucks lately and decided to research the f150 eco boost as well. I tow an Attitude 27 foot long toy Hauler that empty weighs 7200 and loaded weighs about 10k to 10.5k. Will the f150 tow my Hauler very well or should I stay with diesel power? I currently tow with my 8.1 gasser but want a pickup with better empty mpgs! What are your opinions on towing near the limits with the ecoboost? I get between 6 and 9 mpgs with my current Sub 8.1 depends on speed and terrain.
Speaking from secondhand knowledge here so take it for what its worth; a friend I work with has that exact toy hauler and also has a 2011 Ecoboost crew cab with the 4:10 rear end. Loaded toy hauler it is up there at 10,000 pounds also. His reports is that the truck pulls the camper great, but on long trips, get your pocket book prepared ahead of time. 6 to 8 miles per gallon is the norm. A hard lesson learned on his first trip and that was running out of gas just 15 miles from a service station. The truck will do whatever speed is needed, but will suck the fuel when spooled up for long periods of time. If you have any intention on trailering long distances mulitples times per year, I'd say go with the diesel.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Holy crap these little motors can suck down fuel at that rate? 6-8 mpgs? The worst ever recorded mpgs by my 8.1 with 4.10 gears is 6.5 mpgs!! On flat ground I get about 8-8.5 mpgs. I thought this ecoboost would be an improvement? Well this doesn't sound to good, might as well keep my 8.1 or get a Diesel. Thanks for the feedback, I was hoping to hear that they would get around 9-11 towing my hauler, that would be an improvement! Just was wanting to stay away from the higher priced diesel.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:17 PM
wyo2track
Freshman User
Holy crap these little motors can suck down fuel at that rate? 6-8 mpgs? The worst ever recorded mpgs by my 8.1 with 4.10 gears is 6.5 mpgs!! On flat ground I get about 8-8.5 mpgs. I thought this ecoboost would be an improvement? Well this doesn't sound to good, might as well keep my 8.1 or get a Diesel. Thanks for the feedback, I was hoping to hear that they would get around 9-11 towing my hauler, that would be an improvement! Just was wanting to stay away from the higher priced diesel.
A little food for thought, I don't know where you are located, but were out here in western Wyoming. Plenty of rolling, flat, mountainous, and windy terrain at elevations of 5000 to 8000+ feet. Speed is the biggest factor in your mpg when towing and buckin' a head or cross wind will always burn the fuel. Our state highway speed limits are all posted 65 mph around here. Again, second hand info, but from converstations I don't think you'd see better 8 mpg with that big of a trailer, at least in our terrain environment.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wyo2track
A little food for thought, I don't know where you are located, but were out here in western Wyoming. Plenty of rolling, flat, mountainous, and windy terrain at elevations of 5000 to 8000+ feet. Speed is the biggest factor in your mpg when towing and buckin' a head or cross wind will always burn the fuel. Our state highway speed limits are all posted 65 mph around here. Again, second hand info, but from converstations I don't think you'd see better 8 mpg with that big of a trailer, at least in our terrain environment.
I'm in Az which is flat in the deserts but we have 7% grades all over up north which is where I travel to most often. I have my 8.1 to the floor to climb these grades and it holds 60-65mph but at a large fuel cost! We also like to travel to Wyoming, Iowa, Colorado so if the Ecoboost only will do 8mpgs then I will stay on the diesel truck purchase route.....

Old 08-29-2012, 10:50 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your toy hauler have a conventional hitch or weight distributing hitch?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT
Does your toy hauler have a conventional hitch or weight distributing hitch?
I have the Equalizer w/d hitch. It works very well!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:43 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
The pay back for the ecoboost is the empty / non-towing MPG's. That little engine will make any of the older and most of the newer V-8's look sick. But it's thirsty for sure and that would be a deal breaker for me if I were towing heavy.

IMHO. towing 10K+ regularly is a job for a suitably equipped superduty.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 AM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Originally Posted by tseekins
The pay back for the ecoboost is the empty / non-towing MPG's. That little engine will make any of the older and most of the newer V-8's look sick. But it's thirsty for sure and that would be a deal breaker for me if I were towing heavy.

I agree with Tim.

I have a Eco and tow a 31' Hornet TT. (10K GVW) I weighed it last trip and trailer weights 8600+ pounds. This is sure to grow with time. On two trips of about 100 miles each way towing. I got 8 mpg. I tow at about 65 mph. Occasionally may get to 70 (as that is speed limit) while passing. I stay about 65 as ALL trailer rated tires are speed rated at 65 and continual towing above that number you are asking for trouble.

I am happy with the 8 mpg as I dont pull the trailer a big percentage of the time. I did not feel the costs (up front, daily, and maint.) of a diesel would pay off for me.

If you are towing at high elevations and often. Diesel will be your best bet. Others like me that tow big trailers a small percent and at lower elevations can really enjoy the ecoboost and its unreal power.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:50 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Before you consider a diesel be aware that the newer diesels don't get much better than your 8.1L Chevy. I have a friend that has an 2010 Duramax, he tows for a dealer between Yuma AZ & Southern California. I asked him one day what kind of mileage did he get towing & he said about 8 mpg maybe 9 mpg Empty about 16-17 mpg.
The newer 6.7 Cummins aren't much better. If I couldn't buy a Ford 7.3, I wouldn't own a Ford diesel.
So if your wanting better mileage in diesels look at 5.9 Cummins or Fords 7.3 diesel.
I get 5-7 mpg towing 10,000+LBS with my V-10 Dodge @ 70 mpg. About 12 empty. So your Chevy is about what other 8.1 owners get.
Then remember $40,000 will buy a bunch of gas. I tow about 2000 miles a year.
Craig

Old 09-01-2012, 08:13 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Again today I was in my buddies F250 PSD and I have to say that thing would tow a building. If you are towing that trailer often then i would say you should give the super duty your attention. Just be aware that on top of higher fuel costs, you will have to buy DEF, and have much higher maintenance costs. (not to mention the HPFP has had issues for certain people coming apart and destroying the fuel rail and top of the motor causing about $20,000 worth of damage that has not always ben covered under warranty!)

This issue is not widespread as of yet however it was one reason for my second thoughts on buying one. Driving the new 6.7 PSD will leave you with a smile from ear to ear due to its comfort and flat out unbelievable power.

Like some of the others have said...if you are only towing that trailer once or twice a year you will save more money buying the F150 especially for the fuel mileage unloaded. Good luck with your decision!

Old 09-02-2012, 06:15 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins

X2!
As capable as these trucks are i also think a Superduty's more suitable for your application..

Old 09-02-2012, 06:29 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Test drove and ecoboost yesterday as well as an F250 gasser and diesel. The ecoboost was imho the most impressive of them all! The 6.2 is a total joke of a gas engine!!! In the f250 it was a total gutless slug! I am moving forward for an ecoboost most likely!! That said.......

For those of you towing 9-10k rv trailers, will your ecoboost hold 65mph up 7% grades? How many rpms do you run an what gear to pull 7% grades? Do you have any reserve power on the steep hills or do you have it hammered to the floor? Price wise this really seem like the way I'm going to go.

Quick Reply: Will the F150 tow my toy hauler?