Sponsored by: Moser

Heated and Cooled seats???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Hunt89
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heated and Cooled seats???

I will hopefully be ordering a 2013 fx4 at the end of september. I was wondering how well the heated and cooled seats hold up. How much will it afected the tiny holes if Im at the beach and I get in my truck and I am damp and a little sandy? Or if I am a little wet from hunting or fishing and I get in my truck? I am more worried about the tiny holes and the heat and cooling function more than the leather. I will always carry towels in my truck. Should I just take care of the truck the best I can and not worry about it?

Thanks Hunt

Old 08-15-2012, 05:17 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a good question. I would say that the seat would need to get pretty saturated to affect anything. The heating is done with elements behind the leather and the cooling is done by circulating air, so really the elements would be the issue. Take care of it the best you can and just try to limit how much moisture you expose your seat to.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Hawkdriver69
Senior User
I have heated and cooled seats and I have yet to have any problems. I would say that as long as your not caked with sand you should be ok.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:30 AM
jacknbella
Senior User
I disagree. My 2010 Plat had the cooled seats and they did not work very well when I sat in my truck right after being at the beach (because of the moisture, not the sand) or sweating my butt off after playing summer ice hockey. In other words, there was very little airflow until it dried off. My two cents.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 AM
stormsearch
Junior User
Both the heat and cool works off air flow from a TED device. The heated only seat works off a resistive element.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 AM
jlc41
Junior User
Ok, I'll ask, what is a TED device???

Old 08-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Hunt89
Senior User
Originally Posted by juneau76
That's a good question. I would say that the seat would need to get pretty saturated to affect anything. The heating is done with elements behind the leather and the cooling is done by circulating air, so really the elements would be the issue. Take care of it the best you can and just try to limit how much moisture you expose your seat to.
Originally Posted by Hawkdriver69
I have heated and cooled seats and I have yet to have any problems. I would say that as long as your not caked with sand you should be ok.
I was thinking the same thing but I just wanted to see what yall had to say about it.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I would like to know what TED is too.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:54 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stormsearch
Both the heat and cool works off air flow from a TED device. The heated only seat works off a resistive element.
As I understand it you are correct...the heated/cooled seats blow hot or cold air into the seats...there is no heating element. I would ,much rather have it this way anyway since I am so hot blooded and the heating elements even on low are usually too hot for me.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 PM
stormsearch
Junior User
TED - thermo electric device. Current thru the device will make heat, reversing the current will make it cold. In cool mode though, the device will heat soak and become very un-efficient but usually the truck and your body has cooled down enough before that happens.

Resistive elements for heat pull 1/2 the power compared to a heated portion using a TED in the heated/cooled seats.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:30 PM
BMWBig6
Senior User
TED - thermo electric device. Current thru the device will make heat, reversing the current will make it cold. In cool mode though, the device will heat soak and become very un-efficient but usually the truck and your body has cooled down enough before that happens.

Resistive elements for heat pull 1/2 the power compared to a heated portion using a TED in the heated/cooled seats.
I always wondered why my heated/cooled seats have a fan blowing, when none of my other cars (with only heated seats) have a fan. I guess TED needs the fan to circulate the air.

So does Ford use resistive elements on F-150 models that don't have cooled seats? Or do they use TED for both heated and heated/cooled?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:50 PM
stormsearch
Junior User
Yeah the TED device creates the cooling/heating effect but needs the fan to circulate within your seats. It is only used for the heated/cooled seats. For heated only seat, they use a resistive element.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Hunt89
Senior User

Hmmm that's very interesting. Thanks for that info.

I'm just going to get the heated/cooled seats and not worry about them. They sure did feel nice when I test drove a truck that had them in there when it was 100 deegres outside!!!

Thanks for everyones input.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunt89
Hmmm that's very interesting. Thanks for that info.

I'm just going to get the heated/cooled seats and not worry about them. They sure did feel nice when I test drove a truck that had them in there when it was 100 deegres outside!!!

Thanks for everyones input.
Go for it, I have had them in my 250 for a year now, no issues.

Only a few of the small holes have grains of sand in stuck in them, but I'm sure I could get them out if I REALLY wanted to.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 PM
iknfixit
New User
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
Go for it, I have had them in my 250 for a year now, no issues.

Only a few of the small holes have grains of sand in stuck in them, but I'm sure I could get them out if I REALLY wanted to.
I have a pic of the foam inner cushion with channels and vents if I can get it to attach

Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Had mine a year with multiple beach trips and not a single issue. I used them all winter and should be using the cooled soon.

Quick Reply: Heated and Cooled seats???