1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 Ford F1

Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Now that the rear suspension is basically done, the next thing is to get the motor and trans set in. I got everything ill need to set it in a few weeks ago. Belhousing, rear sump oil pan, trans crossmember, steering rack, and motor mounts. Since the transmission i got was a t56 from behind an lt1, and all the bellhousing to attach a t56 to a 429 were for an ls1 t56, i had to convert my trans over. It wasnt too hard. The only difference was the front plate and input shaft. I also changed the input shaft bearing and race while i had it apart. With the lsi front plate i can run a hydraulic throwout bearing so i wont have to worry about a clutch linkage. Hopefully ill be able to start getting everything set in this weekend. Heres a pic of the transmission.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AXracer
Good find! I used the OEM GM Clutch MC to be consistant with the slave cylinder size and hose quick release connector. It's a stealth flat black glass filled resin cylinder that angles down from the firewall with a frosted nylon remote reservoir.
Thats a good idea. Im gonna try and keep the underfloor pedals so ill have too figure out a way to make it parallel to the ground if i used the stock master cylinder. Definitely food for thought though.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
Thats a good idea. Im gonna try and keep the underfloor pedals so ill have too figure out a way to make it parallel to the ground if i used the stock master cylinder. Definitely food for thought though.
Here's a pic of the MC I used. It would be very easy to make a bracket to connect to underfloor pedal. Just needs an angled bracket matched to the mounting flange. Note the translucent remote rez with built in mounting flange, the hose can be easily lengthened or shortened (I shortened mine) to be mounted under the stock inspection plate or wherever is convenient (lower firewall?) The SS braid hose plugs into the external slave cylinder with the connector under the yellow dust cover.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic

started getting the motor mocked up today

Hows that for an engine hoist?

Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Little overkill on that engine hoist?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AXracer
Little overkill on that engine hoist?
Hey, you use what you got

Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic

Got some work done on the motor mounts and trans crossmember. I used the speedway 460 mounts. As you can see i modified the drivers side mount so that the steering shaft can go through it. I have a concern about the trans crossmember though. as you can see it ended up right behind the crossmember. Im planning on keeping the underfloor pedals but the crossmember will be in the way if i use a power booster. Could i just mount the pwer booster behind the crossmember and just run a longer connecting rod?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I haven't moved my MC back, I have seen it done on other trucks (with long pushrod) and seemed like it would work fine as long as all the mounts were solid.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Well school ended last week so im home free for the nest 4 months. Made the deans list too! Im gonna be working for my dad so i can make some money. next thing im gonna do is the brakes and clutch.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic

Ok so i picked up a couple trucks for some parts. One is an f4 with a ford script flat bead and a v8 and the other is an f6 that used to have a dump bed on it. They are both the 5 star extra cabs. Im planning on using the stainless trim and locks and ignition switch from one truck since it has the key with it. Im planning on selling most of the parts and then scrapping whatever is left. They are in pretty rough shape so not a whole lot is usable. Just wondering what all people are looking for off of these big trucks that i should make sure to include in my craigslist ads. Another question is with the wheels. Im pretty sure one has lock ring wheels and the other is widowmakers. Just want a definite answer about them.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
The more i think about it too the more i want to do a dash swap and use one of the dashes from those trucks in my 49. How hard would it be to swap the dash?

Also i ordered the rear coil overs yesterday so ill be mounting those up when they come in.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
I got the coilovers yesterday and plan on starting to mount them on sunday. Is anybody heading to the ford carlisle this weekend?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
The more i think about it too the more i want to do a dash swap and use one of the dashes from those trucks in my 49. How hard would it be to swap the dash?

Also i ordered the rear coil overs yesterday so ill be mounting those up when they come in.
AFAIK the bonus builts are like the F100s, the dash is structural and is welded in. I could be wrong tho, I've been wrong before, just ask my ex!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
[quote=AXracer;13230498]AFAIK the bonus builts are like the F100s, the dash is structural and is welded in. I could be wrong tho, I've been wrong before, just ask my ex! [/
Thats a good one . Yeah i took a closer look and it is structural. I guess thats out of the question.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic

Ive also been working on patching one of the lower fenders. This one is gonna take quite a while to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 49 Ford F1