EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

How can I tell what software my pcm has?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 PM
truckerdude
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I tell what software my pcm has?

I took it in for service and they updated the pcm. There was no mention of any tsb just that they downloaded the latest update for my truck. how do I figure out what that is and does it contain the latest tsb?

Old 08-02-2012, 02:47 PM
truckerdude
Junior User
bumpty bump to the top

Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by truckerdude
I took it in for service and they updated the pcm. There was no mention of any tsb just that they downloaded the latest update for my truck. how do I figure out what that is and does it contain the latest tsb?
If they did a software update they would automatically use the latest version.

I do have the version but will have to look it up.

My software (laptop) is updated daily if avail with Ford. My latest version I received yesterday which is 80.2.

There was a TSB. What is the build date of your truck? If I had VIN I could tell you the latest version for your build.

Every time I turn on my computer it will automatically update the latest Ford Software.

3.5L GTDI built on or before 2/7/2012 needs an update. This IDS release 79.02A and anything later will have the proper update.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Another update for intermittent stumble and or misfire on hard driving after an extended highway drive in damp conditions and light loads surge was also fixed with another TSB. Have you had the intercooler deflector plate installed?

Old 08-11-2012, 01:29 PM
truckerdude
Junior User
The deflector plate was not installed as I haven't experienced that issue.

I took it in for rough idling when cold and mpg had dropped in the past few weeks. Truck was built Feb 2011. They said that they connected it to the computer in Dearborn and it automatically told them what updates to download. There was one update for the ACM for the radio, one for the ABS module and one for the pcm.

I was just curious if the latest pcm software contained all of the TSB fixes or did you only get the fixes if you complained about a specific problem?

only difference I see since they flashed it is that it seems to be a little faster off the line- I mean it seems like if you just barely push the gas pedal it goes faster quicker than before- like it has less hesitation (throttle seems more responsive). I am not referrring to WOT runs but normal driving

Old 08-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
The deflector plate was not installed as I haven't experienced that issue.

I took it in for rough idling when cold and mpg had dropped in the past few weeks. Truck was built Feb 2011. They said that they connected it to the computer in Dearborn and it automatically told them what updates to download. There was one update for the ACM for the radio, one for the ABS module and one for the pcm.

I was just curious if the latest pcm software contained all of the TSB fixes or did you only get the fixes if you complained about a specific problem?

only difference I see since they flashed it is that it seems to be a little faster off the line- I mean it seems like if you just barely push the gas pedal it goes faster quicker than before- like it has less hesitation (throttle seems more responsive). I am not referrring to WOT runs but normal driving
Once it is hooked up it will automatically do all updates at same time. What ever is avail for that particular VIN gets them all.

There is also another TSB on your truck for a Vacuum T for Turbo Vacuum Regulator Solenoid. The t's had flashing buildup not allowing for proper vacuum to the turbo solenoid. It could have an effect on boost etc.

It may take a couple hundred miles for the engine and trans modules to learn all over again.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:04 PM
truckerdude
Junior User
So if I had it in on July 27th does that mean that I have all of the latest updates and TSBs- including the one that you mentioned about the solenoid?

I am still a little confused about the TSB's. I thought that unless you complained you didn't get them done, so you are saying that for example I take it in for a bad windshield wiper motor they go ahead and automatically check the truck each time and install all software updates and TSB's?

Thanks again

Old 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
So if I had it in on July 27th does that mean that I have all of the latest updates and TSBs- including the one that you mentioned about the solenoid?

I am still a little confused about the TSB's. I thought that unless you complained you didn't get them done, so you are saying that for example I take it in for a bad windshield wiper motor they go ahead and automatically check the truck each time and install all software updates and TSB's?

Thanks again
If they did a software update on July 27th and their computer had latest software then yes that is the last one for your eco.

Unfortunate but the TECH is there to make $$ so they will spend the least time possible on each job. If ford pays .5 to do a repair any more time than that and its $$ out the door for tech as most are on a flat rate basis.

If a tech hooks up his computer to your veh he has to go into programming and actually check if any software updates are available.

The key problem here is when a customer brings in a veh for a running issue it very well could have a check engine light on. This creates a HUGE problem because if engine light is on and the tech clears the codes then goes into programming to see if there are any updates, he finds that yes there are updates but at this point because the check engine light was on and the codes cleared he CANNOT do the software update without first doing a complete drive cycle! This is not just taking it for a quick drive around the block. Certain parameters have to be met before the drive cycle will complete.

One of them is 100.4 deg f is magic number for ambient air temp. any thing over that and it creates a problem. If the TECH figures he will just save time and know one else is looking and just uploads the software update then you could have a total mess as it may show the update was done but it actually never took!

It is very complicated on how all this works.

As far as the Solenoid that is something the tech has to manually do. I have seen too many times that ford will not pay the proper amt of time to do a tsb so the techs either skip it or check it off as done and do not do it . . .

That was a bit long winded... So a short answer would be no all tsb's are not done each time a veh is into dealer. But if they say they did a software update then yes it should have the latest software but again it had to be done properly too.

Key is to find a dealer/tech who really cares about more than his paycheck.

Now a service campaign is another issue. When you go into service and they check vin it is something they will probably automatically do.

Depending on dealer they could check for any tsb's etc that will make them a buck. So you could bring your veh in to say 3 different dealers and one may do everything needed and check for all updates, the next one it would sit on lot all day and when you call to ask if it is done, the tech was not making enough money so it was checked off as done but nothing was actually done, the 3rd dealer may have done the basic check and tech did the only thing he was aware of . . . . . .

A tech only wants to spend the time needed to get his pay since he is most likely on flat rate. A lot of incredible smart techs out there but they do not want to have to be the one to find the FIX for a FORD problem without pay.

FORD should give a HUGE check to the tech for coming up with a solution to a fix such as this. I bet if they offered that there would have been a fix already.

But no, ford screws them on every turn when they know full well it is a engineering issue.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro

Thanks again
At this point the service writer is also a key. If you bring it in for said wiper motor the chances are not much if anything else will get done. But say the tech is aware of something else on your particular veh that will be easy money for him. Then yes it will most likely get done.