MODED EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MODED EXHAUST

G'day Fellas,

The truck I've got, I bought it off a fella with only 70K km on it.
He had a long range fuel tank put in. It's put in the position the OEM Exhaust piping and box run (see pic). That's well and good, but the job done to re-route the exhaust to come out in front of the right side rear wheel was .. to say the least very ordinary.
From about 300mm back from the OEM Exhaust flange they had a right angle bend down, then another right angle to go under the rail followed by another to meet up with the OEM staggered Muffler box . Basically a number of 3.5" elbows welded together. A tortured gas flow one might say.
Anyway as soon as I got it home I set about modding that set up to get a better flow.
Funds being low after forkin' out for the truck I did the following:
Got a 32" Cummins straight throught 3.5" exhaust and Stainless 3.5" Flexi tubing. Cut the pipe off about 150mm back from the OEM Flange, cut out the box and the rest of the twisted mess.
I positioned the Cummins muffler as far back as practical and shaped the 3.5" Flexi Tubing as shallow a cork scew run into the muffler as I could (see pics).
I had to make up brackets the hold the muffler box up.
It has been in there and doing well for a good 50K km and no real EGT problems either.

So now I want to sweetin' the exhaust flow up better now.
I plan to stay with a 3.5" Down pipe, but jump up to 4" from the OEM flange position (eliminate the flange), into a straight through 4" Muffler and step up to a 5" tip to still come out in front of the rear wheel.

Magnaflow have set up: Magnaflow 15915 99-03 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke 4" Stainless, Turbo Back Exhaust System for F-250/F-350 Superduty, EC-CC/SS-LB. (*3.5" downpipe) [MF15915].
Should be able to get it through Clay?

The thing is beside the downpipe the box and 5" tip, the rest is of not much value to me for my set up?? Do the mobs that custom exhausts reshape new exhaust pipe? I was thinking that all that pipe from the box and up over the axle and out the back could be utilised to mandral shape a nice neat and as shallow as possible 4" cork screw piece to replace the Flexi Tubing section into a new muffler box??
Have any of you blokes got your exhaust coming out the side?
If so how did you got about it?

Any better thoughts fellas?

Cheers,
Reg

Old 07-27-2012, 06:30 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Nkelly has he's coming out the same as you. But he's muffler is in the stock position. He's got pics somewhere but I cant find em. Send him a PM Reg.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:00 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Nkelly made up his own exhaust system with his own custom welded Y connector to have 2 5" tips, one BEHIND each of the back wheels.

I've seen your standard tank and box tank in your diff shots.

In may also be worth considering doing what's been done to my truck. Replace the stock tank with a 270 ltr Longranger-extended tank. If you did that then you could get rid of your extra tank from the RHS and run your choice of system sourced from Clay.

Personally, I've purchased an aluminized MRBP 4" turbo back muffler delete for less than $300, and am having it sea-freighted over for $150 by USAtoAUS. It's due on 21/8, about 2 months after I bought it. When Clay looked under my truck he couldn't believe how small the Ford Australia down pipe was, he said it looked more like 2 and a half inch diameter which increased to 3 and a half in the tail pipe. So turbo back replacement is a good way to go performance wise.

I'm now sort of wishing I had the cash to have a RR diff cover and FRX thrown in the box as well as the price of the freight would not have changed.

Anyway Reg, another option to think about regarding solving your exhaust routing problem. Sorry, I don't know how much the Longranger-extended tank was. I know Geoff(Ratkat) was interested in getting one, don't know if he took it further.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Gday reg they liked my home exhaust so much,cant you tell..
You prob seen em anyway..

Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

yeh I do bro. But I was referring to when ya had it before the wheel.

did you have your pipes running across the frame like Reg's flex pipe

Old 07-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Mine come down inside the chassis then bent out towards front of the back wheel.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
SIDE EXHAUST

Originally Posted by Nkelly
Mine come down inside the chassis then bent out towards front of the back wheel.
G'day Ned,

Well as you can see from my set up the Aux Fuel Tank prevents running the piping down the inside.
But as you can see I got a pretty good gentle run from the OEM flange out under the rail and into the box with my Flex Pipe mod. It sits up clear of the other dangling OEM bits, so is not an issue in that respect.
I've been thinkin' a bit more about it and will wait until I get back and take the truck down to an exhaust mob in Adelaide and see if they can mandral shape me a nice 4" piece to replace the Fexi tube. And go from there as I'd like to still replace the squashed OEM Down pipe with a mandral bent 3.5" and step it up to 4" the rest of the way.
Bumped into a joker in McLaren Vale when home last as I hear a Powerstroke cruze in and park.
Me and the missus had to go over and introduce ourselves and get a look at his truck. Turns out he only lives not far from me.
It was a brand spankin' F350 4x4 Lariat 6.7Ltr Powerstroke CC. Boy did that thing look and sound smart. He was a good bloke and let us jump in and have a good look. As soon as he got it through the DOT rego he got it Chipped and got the EGR, CAT and OEM box all cut out and ditched for a straight pipe and the pipes leading out the back same as your with 2 x 5" tips.
He's had 2 x 7.3l before this one. He told me the mob he got the exhaust done with so I'll go down and see them when I get home again.

Cheers,
Reg

Old 07-29-2012, 04:54 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Bryan, you gotta know we like it as 2 of us were telling Reg about it!

Old 07-29-2012, 05:16 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Old 07-29-2012, 07:09 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Nice link, have saved it as a fav seller!

Sounds like Reg is going to persist with the spiral exhaust.

On the exhaust, but slightly off. I hooked up the box trailer to take a tree I'd 'gardened' into a dozen pieces with my chainsaw to the green waste and pick up my 6x4 box trailer full soil on the way back. Pulling into the soil place I spot neat white F250 with a bevvy of driving lights and sports bar. Nice.

The front end loader bucket fills my trailer up with dirt and the driver hangs out of the cab and asks me 'Are you sure your vehicle can pull a full trailer?'. I'm like, there's something seriously wrong if it can't! Anyway, it turns out that it was his white F250 and he is trying to get a 4" exhaust built here. He was quoted $2600!
I wrote down on a piece of paper for him:
FTE Australian Chapter - there isn't a question you can't ask,
Riffraff Diesel,
USAtoAUS shipping. Hopefully we'll see him soon.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
ADAPTORS ETC

G'day Ned,

Thanks mate; good site.
I'm trying the remember the mob I got all that exhaust stuff off to do the set up I currently have. Got the lot from them, very good back up and very prompt service. They were in Seven Hills NSW, just can't remember the company name. Had a huge catelog of exhaust and filter components.
I'm trying to search them out and I'll post as soon as I find them.

EDIT: Found the mob. Seven Hills (Blacktown) (http://www.westernfilters.com.au/index.html)

Cheers,
Reg.

Last edited by Diesel Submariner; 07-29-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Found address
Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
FITTING ISSUES - ANY?

G'day Fellas,

I'm lookin' at getting a system via Clay.

I'm sticking with a 3.5" Downpipe going to 4" piping, 4" Straight through muffler then to 5" Tip.
I'll be doing the mods to have it follow the current system routing I put together a few years ago (pics above in first post).

Since our SD are RHD, are there any fitting issues I should know about removing the 3.5" OEM DP and fitting a Mandrel bent 3.5" DP?
I'm lookin' at a Magnaflow 3.5" DP [MF15915].
I'm hoping being OEM size there will be little or no obstacles .

I know a number of you good fellas that have been down this path and I'd apreciate your experiences.

Cheers,
Reg

Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Me and bwian had trouble with DP facing in the wrong direction but the rest of my exhaust fitted spot on, i got a 5" MBRP from clay..

Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
Do we have a Bwian?

Originally Posted by Nkelly
Me and bwian had trouble with DP facing in the wrong direction but the rest of my exhaust fitted spot on, i got a 5" MBRP from clay..
G'day Ned,

The question is... Do we have a Bwian?.

Appawentwy we do ... soooo how did you and Bwian overcome the 180* DP?

Cheers,
Weg .... Do we have a Weg? ... on on it goes

Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

I had my DP redone by a exhaust shop,they made their own with a flexi on the end weg.

Plus getting it in was a complete ******* then finding it wouldnt line up,then trying too get it out faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark me i couldnt get it out,so i bolted it up the best i could and took it to the exhaust shop as is..

Ive changed my exhaust 3 times,but my final result im very happy with

Quick Reply: MODED EXHAUST