About to feed my motor 3-4 k ... options for alternative fuels and supporting mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
About to feed my motor 3-4 k ... options for alternative fuels and supporting mods?

Okey Dokey...

Right off im putting in new bellowed international upps...
Exhaust is already done.
2nd alternator and 3rd batt... so i got all the juice for heaters i could want.
Already put in a post switch heated pre-pump spin on filter rig as a start whan i did my hutch mod.
6637 air filter installed...
Got a weakening hpop and injectors... and my turbo could use some freshening up...
What im looking for is 1) what would be my best options for injectors with longevity in mind using these fuels? 2)can i still go big and tune down as some have experimented with and run wvo/wmo&rug with the same efficiency?
Im looking to build with the intention of making possible the ability to dump any fuel burnable fluid in my alt tank... or a future 3rd tank... i would also like to experiment with propane if feasible with my budget.
Im a pretty handy fellow in a machine shop, welding shop, plumbing in most any facet, etc, and so on...
Just looking for experiences from you guys who know what your talking about with decisions you have made that worked out for you and your truck.

Tuning is my other dilemma.
Im pretty set on a dp f6 chip but what about tunes for wvo/wmo?
For my diesel tunes im going to go visit matt at gearhead because he's closest.
But since i will have the f6 and can get tunes by email and flash them myself who would you guys with custom tunes recommend ?

Yes i realize all these tunes will add up to close to another grand... which is why most of the live tuning stuff will be part of stage 2 of my build...

Thanks guys for the input! (Lets try to keep this civil)

Xtof

Old 07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like you've got a bit of a plan there. first of all, i wouldn't even think about running alternative fuels in a powerstroke unless the injectors were tired as yours are, because the premature wear on a good set of injectors would cost more than the fuel savings likely would. but considering the condition of your injectors, i would go for it.

my experience with alternative fuels is on the IDI, so i can't help you a bit on tuning, but will share what i do have for you.

first of all, you should NEVER mix your WMO with your WVO. they'll interact in bad ways and plug up filters quickly. our member "linus" had experience with that.
i would advise filtering your fuels before they go into the tank. plenty of opinions around here about how much to filter, with the general consensus being the finer the better. so far i've put about 1500 miles on a 10% WMO mix, the first half of which was done through a 100 micron paint filter, and the second half of which was done through a blue-jean filter, estimated 5-10 micron. some guys here say thats good enough, others run a centrifuge to remove particles smaller than 1 micron. naturally, finer filtration leads to increased component life, but costs more to get set up.

for playing with WVO (which i haven't), you need to either have the fuel heaters and only run it on a warm engine, or process it into biodiesel before it goes in your tank.

i look forward to hearing about your progress!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I intend to run either wvo or wmo in my aux tank one at a time... will flush the tank with diesel or bio diesel before switching over.

Im building a hellacious bulk filtration system and trying to accomplish the gear (pulley) reductions to pull off a wind harnessing pump.

Ive been experimenting with constructing my own centrifuge out of various repurposed pressure vessels but i think ill have better luck (and stability) using a drum brake and rotor.

I prefilter with 50micron or so vacuum bags... then run thru a 3 stage home filtration system set up with 10, 5, and 2 micron cartridges.

I solar heat to let the water settle... been working flawlessly for me here as long as the humidity isnt above 70% or so... even had some luck with evaporation.
Gotta love south texas.

Ill be building inline 12v heaters and hooking up a plethora of new gauges.
Fuel pressure and temp going into the engine...
Hpo pressure and temp
Another pyro for passengers side.
Coolant temp.
May just end up going with a scangague or the like so my cab doesnt resemble a 747 cockpit so much.

Anybody else have any input as to which injectors will suit my plans best?

Xtof

Old 08-09-2012, 06:45 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Electric heat is not generally considered a good idea for WVO. Most of these heaters get parts of the oil hot enough to 'scorch it'. We prefer using coolant to heat our fuel, its just the right temp and like one friend always says - 'your engine runs so hot it needs a radiator'... Extra alternators and batts not req'd!

The easiest way to do this is also probably the cheapest. We run 3/8" alum fuel line inside 3/4" heater hose. It costs about $2.25/ft plus about $6/end to build.

Since you've already got an aux tank, why not just do a 2nd fuel system plumbed to it? Its just a OE-style 7.3 fuel pump ($50) a FPR ($180) and a fuel filter ($10+ filter) - yer already dicking with the fuel lines, etc - just leave the OE alone and add another system for your alt fuels. (ya didn't ask, but I think WMO is a bad idea ) You'll add check valves to the OE fuel lines and plumb the 2nd system into the other end of each head - where FRx would go. There's a couple other parts, but its pretty damn simple.

Benefits include the ability to go big HP (with all the $$ yer savin') without RR. Since you can 'purge' the air out of the heads by flushing some diesel back to your aux tank, trapped air is not an issue. You can feed fuel to both ends of each head simultaneously - so starvation is not a problem and a lot of guys are sick of the loud and unreliable FASS, etc pumps and are going to (2) PSD pumps instead.

So you're prolly already going 'I don't wanna spend that much'. Its a few tanks of diesel man - you'll forget how much it cost soon enough, unless you cheap out early on... After 255k miles on VO (2 PSD's), I have never had a fuel-related problem.

I'll just say I'm MUCH happier with my current tunes than I was with dptuner. That's not a popular opinion here, so I'll leave it at that.

I just made 370HP on WVO running Stage 1 injectors (160cc single-shots) and a GTP 38R. It also made 320HP in my daily driver/tow tune. This truck has been built as a serious tow mule - and it does that WELL. Plenty of power (you are limited by traction anyway ) and EGT's haven't gone over 1200* even at 24k lbs GCVW pulling grades like I stole the mule! Its fun as hell to drive empty too. My only complaint is the 38R is freakin' obnoxious with the 6637 in front of it. For just a little more $$, you can go T4 mount and a comparable (and rebuildable) standard-rotation turbo like S366.

That said, I wish I woulda gotten 80% nozzles (Stage 2's) and a bigger turbo to match. Actually, I might like compound turbos with my 6spd truck - but that would be confessing I have PMS.

Oh yeah, the popular rebuilders are no longer alt-fuel friendly. The don't take cores that have used alt fuels and offer no warranty at all on injectors that have run them. Be sure to check with your rebuilder before ordering!

My Excursion will go back together at around 600hp and run WVO - someday...

I don't know of anyone with a lot of miles on WMO, much less at high HP. You can be the first!!!