Negative reputation

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Negative reputation

Based on feedback, the moderation team have elected to remove the "I disapprove" option on posts (or as it may also be known... to leave "negative reputation").
This will go into action in approximately 1 weeks time.

The ability to utilize the "I approve" function on posts (or to leave positive reputation to other users) will remain as it is today.

For users who have previously received negative reputation (displayed as a red box in your User CP), sadly there is no simple way for us to remove those from the record, and thus they will still be listed in your total reputation count.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In the 10 years I've been on FTE, I've never had a reason to leave negative reputation, although I've been on the receiving end a couple of times. I think it's a good move though. I still believe in the old addage, if you don't have anything nice to say about somebody, don't say anything at all!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 AM
kjett
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
In the 10 years I've been on FTE, I've never had a reason to leave negative reputation, although I've been on the receiving end a couple of times. I think it's a good move though. I still believe in the old addage, if you don't have anything nice to say about somebody, don't say anything at all!
That would be nice if the rest of the board stuck with that and quit trash talking about the Offroad section to the mods. It's how I got my negative rep's......

Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
Never had a use for it, and won't miss it!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
This is kinda silly, cause when we have ******s come into threads, we throw up negative reps to the person if they deserve it.

Are we going for that idea that they have in school now? Everyone is special?

At least change the rep limit so I can give people rep points instead of getting the "spread the love" message for all 20 users that I try and rep.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I disagree with this...

There have been plenty of times where rants break out on this website and people need to be put in their place when they start writing things and think they can get away with it...

It's a useful tool for us to regular who is a "good apple" and who isn't...

I don't see why it's being removed... maybe one of our so-called "bad apples" weasled his/her way in to this approval of demolishing one of our few ways to regulate others?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It is generally the reputation of the "Negative" issuer that is damaged rather than the one the neg rep was intended. Just the way it is around here. Good to see it go and......

.....glad to see our Aussie friend back on the boards.

An interesting side note: During my 8+ years here the two or three people that neg rep'd me are long gone.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad its gone! Someone negative repped me once for a story I told about my friend getting pulled over. He thought I made it up

Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,063 Likes on 4,163 Posts
I've never used the neg rep feature...been tempted to...but never did. I've never been the recipient of neg reps either. No great loss as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the "everyone gets a trophy" and "no scorekeeping" attitude seen in children's "sports". My son & daughter got a few of these as kids, no clue where they ended up. On the other hand, the ones they got for *actually* acomplishing something, are still promeniantly displayed to this day........
By the same token, I have trophies that I have won at car shows, and at racing events, with the same car. The show trophies are stashed in the corner, while the racing ones are displayed front and center.

I've gotten plenty of + rep from users here, and an occasional - rep. Most of the -rep was from someone with a bad attitude that simply didn't like hearing the cold hard truth, or simply didn't like something I said whether it was directed at them or not.
Personally, I don't give a rat's patoot about the rep system. I don't answer questions/make comments hoping someone will "reward" me. I also don't hold back on saying something due to a fear of getting a "smackdown". Like me or hate me, I don't care. But, you will know where I stand......
Heck, another forum I belong to has a "karma" feature, with "applaud/smite" as options. Users can add a custom text into the same location as the "karma", so I added "Smite me!" to mine, and changed my avatar to a "Give a *darn* broken" gif. I'm proud to say I hold the record for the most smites among active users. Oh darn, negative karma, what will I ever do????? LOL.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been on the receiving end of negative from a member (now banned) and I didn't deserve it. If you are bi-polar and get off by causing trouble, then you shouldn't be on this forum. Period..
This forum is one of very few, that I can still access at work. They don't allow any access to the typical BS forums. That is a positive note for the quality of this forum. I am not here to argue with anyone or cause issues. I am here to learn and help others where i can. Otherwise i just blow past any argumentative post. I say remove the negative rep.
If you got issues with someone you can PM them. I don't need to be involved in your personality conflict.
That being said...Have a great day!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
See, I feel the the bad rep tag was a good idea, there are those that deserve to be put in their place, and yes, I have even recieved them. Rightfully so maybe.. but if it is the choice of this web site, so be it..It is not going to chase me out of here.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Kinda reminds me of the "everyone gets a trophy" and "no scorekeeping" attitude seen in children's "sports".... snip
I couldn't have said it better myself (the whole post - not just what I shortened it to)!

I've left neg reps to those who I believe deserved it (guys going off on rants to newbies, generally disrespectful in posts, etc.) and have gotten neg reps from time to time too. I just don't get why we're taking away the one way we have to show other members who is a bad apple and who is not

Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
To me this is just a "shoulder shrug". OK with that. If there is a post that's so bad to "reward" a negative rep, hit the REPORT POST ( ! ) icon and let the mods sort it out.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
From my point of view, if a person has driven me to the point of giving a -rep, then I just put them on ignore. I haven't used the -rep button, so it wont be missed.

And, by the way, my ignore list has 1 person on it. In three years.

Kind of tells you about the folks here.