Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Trip to TN

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trip to TN

Anybody live in the Sevierville area of TN?

Ill be making a road trip out that way July 26 (Thursday i believe) and coming back home to eastern NC the following Monday, Ive been to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge before but it was so long ago i cant remember much about it (i was prolly 5ish) so anything in the area that is a must see/do?

Im riding up with my GF but will be meeting my folks there and staying in a big cabin in the area

Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Titanic museum is cool. So is Wonder Works. There is a ton of things to do there for sure. Just take your pick.

Dollywood is cool and they have a new roller coaster, the wild eagle. EXTREMELY intense ride for sure. We have season passes for there. We go to PF about once or twice a month here lately while the kids are out of school.

Anything in particular you are looking to do while there?

If you are going back to Carolina you might want to consider going back, or coming, thru the smoky Mountains. The ride from Cherokee, NC to Gatlinburg is a great ride and well worth the time.

Of course if you come the weekend before then (20th - 22nd) you can stop by Newport at the Riff Raff Ford Diesel event. A lot of great people there.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Nah we will be leaving the 26th and coming back the 30th, the trip was scheduled as late as possible into the summer before my brother and sister went back to school, I have a race the weekend before and after and once in August work goes crazy for me, so we rented a cabin about 2 months ago

as far as something that we want to do, My gf and little sister want to go to Dixie stampede, I personally would like to go see the Hatfield's and McCoy's but understand its rather expensive, really I just wanna go to get away from normal life and Eastern NC mainly the beach for a bit since this will be the first vacation ive takin in 2.5 years

btw what is fuel prices like up there? Im a little relieved to see prices here have droped to the 3.15 a gallon range, its bad enough but im glad its not still in the 3.85 range, hopefully my pickup will do decent on the trip havent done a trip with it since i got it other than pulling a race truck and it normally averages 16mpg

Old 06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking you're staying in Sevierville as its close to I40. If you are staying by the interstate, you are a long way (especially in high traffic times - which is most of the time) from most of the good areas. Of course a lot of cabins listed as being in Sevierville are actually well outside the city.

Especially if you're like me and like the outdoors of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Lots of hiking. At least 2 motor trails. The Sugarlands Visitor Center is maybe 2 hours from I40 if the traffic is marginally bad.

Pigeon Forge has good restaurants as does Gatlinburg. If you are looking for unique home-style eats, the Old Mill and the Apple Barn in PF are great. The Park Grill in Gatlinburg is pricey, but good food and excellent atmosphere. Gatlinburg used to be a quaint small town. Now it feels like a suburb of Memphis. If you don't want a tee shirt, old tyme photo, engraved wood, or minature golf; there's not much left. There is a craftsman/artist village outside of town. I haven't been by that area in a few years, but most of the good shops moved there.

If you're in the area long enough, enjoy all of it. We are about 500 miles from the mountains, but go a lot. We will be there in a couple of weeks for 8 days and again in October. If I could find work in East TN, I'd be there tomorrow!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:27 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Yea i cant remember the exact place but i believe it was closer to pigion forge just listed as Sevierville, all i know is my parents asked if wede like to go and told me how much the cabin was so i split it with them and were going up there, i think theres supposed to be a Dixie stampede close by, and i believe pops mentioned something bout Cades cove (i think anyways for some reason its ringing a bell) but i maybe wrong like i said i havent been to TN since i was a little fella

Ill try to get up with them later today and find out a exact place and what all there wanting to do... but as far as eating out i doubt thatll happen much because me personally i love to grill out on the porch with a cold one and being up in the mountains no one around is a great opportunity for that

Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Cades Cove is about an hour away from the Pigeon Forge/Sevierville area. Its a nice drive just to get there and a beautiful drive once you do. Again depending on the day, traffic could be bad. You should be able to drive the cove in less than a few hours with some stops to see the sites. Running into a "bear jam" could add another hour. Of course most people drive through the area just to find a bear. At peak traffic times, you won't go more than 5 MPH the entire 11 miles. Best times are early on weekdays. Wednesday and Saturday mornings until 10am the loop is closed in the morning for bikes only. I'm sure we will be on someday next week! A closer mile-wise is the Roaring Fork trail. It is just out of Gatlinburg so just getting to it will be tricky during high traffic times.

You see a traffic theme? Once going into the Gatlinburg area after Christmas, it took us 3 hours to get from the I40 exit to the RV park we were staying! It should only take about 30 min.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
ouch! if i get there and traffics that bad i wont be leaving much! Only reason im going is to relax anyways im not getting in alot of traffic where i cant relax!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 77mud
ouch! if i get there and traffics that bad i wont be leaving much! Only reason im going is to relax anyways im not getting in alot of traffic where i cant relax!
Traffic and heat -- its going to be 95 today in PF! Elkmont will be in the upper 70's next week.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
dang its 99 here in NC today.... in the shade that is and thats a cool off from the last 3 days that were in the 103 range

Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 77mud
dang its 99 here in NC today.... in the shade that is and thats a cool off from the last 3 days that were in the 103 range
In the Memphis area I think the hottest it got was 103. I heard Nashville set an all time record Friday by 2 degrees -- it was 109!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Dang, hopefully itll cool down, its always hotter on the flightline

Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 PM
The Confederate
Tuned
You should check out Cooter's Dukes of Hazzard museum! I've been to the Nashville location several times and have heard the Gatlinburg location is much bigger and better! It's owned by Ben Jones, the man who played the mechanic "Cooter" in the original TV series. They have a REAL General Lee, Daisy's Jeep, a patrol car, and several of Cooter's tow trucks. You get pictures made in any of them for a cheap price! There's also toys and other accessories from yesteryear in the museum, and a gift shop with awesome bumper stickers, T-shirts, "Dixie" horns (the General Lee's musical horn), and all kinds of DOH goodies!!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
May have to check that out aswell, i actually have a picture hanging on my wall from there of the General lee beside a building with a sign that says 'Cooters in the smokies'

and the Dixie horn would be sweet ive been wanting one for my 77 Mud truck a little dixie horn before i tear out threw the mud with the Confederate flag flying high!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 PM
The Confederate
Tuned
Heck yeah, sir!! Sounds like you've got a plan! Those horns (in Nashville anyway) run about $100. But it's $100 well spent if you ask me!