1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1997 7.3 powerstroke zf5 trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 AM
wilson50
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 7.3 powerstroke zf5 trans

Its a zf5 trans on a 7.3 poweratroke ok it goes into gear if u keep ur foot in the trottle if no it wines untill u give it gas an while ur gong down the road if u let outa the throttle it comes out of gear stops pulling an wines like alomst a griding noise and it will noy go into reverse unless i put it in 4 low can some one tell me whats causeing this please help!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am no manual gearbox expert, but it sounds to me like you need a rebuild. It sounds like you have some bad bearings in the transmission. At least that is my WAG. Someone with more first hand experience will be along shortly I am sure.

Oh, and welcome to the site!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 AM
wilson50
New User
Thanks i hope i can get some1 who know exacly what it is so i can fix it myself i dont have alot of money to spare an i know these things ant cheap but thanks for the reply

Old 06-13-2012, 02:48 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Shift forks are done, and so is your grammar. Just kidding around!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Junior User
As is your punctuation, professor.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:14 AM
wilson50
New User
I never said if i could read write or spell i jus wanted help with my problem not to be made fun of thanks anywaz

Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
Originally Posted by wilson50
I never said if i could read write or spell i jus wanted help with my problem not to be made fun of thanks anywaz
Wilson50, don't take it personally. You gotta put on your thick skin when you log into this site - most everyone likes to kid around. As for your problem: it doesn't sound good, but I am a novice myself so, unfortunately, I can be of no real assistance. Does sound like some things need rebuilt in the transmission. For your sake, I hope it's simple and cheap.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
I'm sorry I did not mean to offend, just ribbing you a bit, it was just hard to understand.

Regarding your problem, like I said ealier, that I bet your shift forks are done. This is why it will not stay in gear. The whining can be a gear whine at a lower RPM, if you switched to a single mass fly wheel. If not then I'm sure some one else can chime in who is more educated than I, on trouble shooting a tranny. I have rebuilt a handful of trannys, and for the most part, they are pretty simple to do.

The whining can be attributed to synchros on their way out, low fluid level, and so on. Its hard to know exactly what it is untill you get in there and look around.

Might be worth pulling and cracking open the case. Its a fairly simple job once you get it out of the truck. If you do rebuild it instead of replacing with another unit then make sure to replace the synchros. You will be happy you did further down the road. Best of luck on the matter and keep us updated with your issues. Just trying to help.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I mean this in a purely constructive way, and not in a rude or hurtful way:
In case you didn't know, it's against internet etiquette to use grammar so poor that it requires effort on the reader's part to understand what you're trying to communicate. That's why any time you make a post like you did in the OP, you will get a couple of jokes directed your way. Don't take it personally, it's just an informal sanction to get you to improve your grammar so that we may more easily understand you.

Also, when you're trying to get people to help you, it's usually best to make it as easy for them to help you as possible. I don't really have anything to add about the problem itself, except that I wish you the best of luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Seven Three
New User
Welp... Sounds like you are going to have to tear into it soon anyways... It could be something as simple as a throw out bearing gone bad... My zf5 has a few issues going on with it and will need fixed soon... It could be a clutch spring as well I recommend two companys, south bend or valair.

Does the rattlesnake sound happen with just the clutch out, or does it go away when the clutch pedal is pushed in... If it has that grindy sound only when the pedal isn't pushed in its a throwout bearing

as for the reverse.... That is very common with these transmissions... Mine will pop out of reverse 4/10 times I back up... I have been pretty annoyed with it, and did some research and found out its pretty common...

something you can do, is take the inspection plate off and see if you have a smf or dmf and if so, wiggle it and see if there is any play or looseness going on...

Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 AM
wilson50
New User
It on does the wineing noise when ur goin down the road an you let off the trottle if its in 4 low all the gears work fine no problem im thinkin jus secrinizers but idk

Old 06-22-2012, 05:28 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It on does the wineing noise when ur goin down the road an you let off the trottle if its in 4 low all the gears work fine no problem im thinkin jus secrinizers but idk
Sounds like snycros, shift collars, shift forks, and bearings. Have you checked the fluid level. If it's low, top it off and see what it does, and it is not common for our trucks to pop out of reverse. As much as I hate to say it, sounds like you're gonna need a rebuild. How many miles on your trans?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:56 AM
wilson50
New User
It dosent pop out of reverse it wont go in it at all un less its in 4 low.....i havent checked the fluid maybe thats the problem idk i think itsl only has around 130000 on it

Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Seven Three
It could be something as simple as a throw out bearing gone bad...
*snort*

I laughed uncontrollably.

Throw out bearing has nothing to do with it falling out of gear.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BuckHammer
I mean this in a purely constructive way, and not in a rude or hurtful way:
In case you didn't know, it's against internet etiquette to use grammar so poor that it requires effort on the reader's part to understand what you're trying to communicate. That's why any time you make a post like you did in the OP, you will get a couple of jokes directed your way. Don't take it personally, it's just an informal sanction to get you to improve your grammar so that we may more easily understand you.

Also, when you're trying to get people to help you, it's usually best to make it as easy for them to help you as possible. I don't really have anything to add about the problem itself, except that I wish you the best of luck and I hope it all works out for you.
Joseph, I started reading this thread a few hours ago, I think you had an earlier post that really caught my attention. I wanted to respond then but didn't have time. I think you mentioned Terms of Use in that post. I wanted to comment then but now that I have time I couldn't find the post. I did find a post with some information that mentioned internet etiquette though and I thought it would be worthy of you and others to read.

I don't have the education that you appear to have, but I have only been working on it for 70 years. I know many of my posts are not grammatically correct and if it wasn't for spell check I don't think I would be posting at all. I did go back to school at the age of 62 and got a 2yr degree when I was 64, that was extremely difficult being in school with all those young people but I must admit most were very respectful and considerate.

Top 10 Netiquette Guidelines for a Safe Online Experience Use Computer Courtesy - Whether a person is sending an email, chatting in a chat room or speaking in a forum, it is important to be courteous and respectful of others online. Always remember the Golden Rule!
  1. Use Emoticons - When communicating online, it can be difficult to gauge a writer's emotion. Unless a web camera or microphone is used, the writer's expression or emotion is difficult to determine. By using emoticons, the writer's proper emotion will be conveyed to the reader.
  2. Be Brief Online - It is important to keep messages short, especially when writing an email or typing in a chat room. By using common chat abbreviations or acronyms, not only will the reader appreciate the brevity of the message, it will save the author valuable time typing the message. Remember, keep it short and be brief!
  3. DON’T SHOUT - No matter what forum, writing in all capital letters is considered SHOUTING and is considered very rude. A word or two in caps is fine, but shouting is not recommended.
  4. Pay Attention to Language Issues - Improper, inappropriate or bad language may get a participant kicked out or permanently banned from a forum or group. It is also important to remember people from other countries may be participating in the conversation and language barriers may be an issue.
  5. Think Before Posting - It is important to note, what is posted online today, may come back and haunt the writer tomorrow. That silly or fun photograph posted on a social networking site, may keep that person from getting a job later on. Many colleges and employers are now searching social networking sites prior to hiring.
  6. Keep Personal Information Private - Posting private and personal information in the wrong location can have serious consequences. Identity theft is a rapidly growing concern. Divulging too much information could give predators and those with bad intentions valuable information. Be careful where personal information is posted. If private information is posted in a group setting, read the guidelines prior to posting. Children should not post private information online
  7. Obey Copyright Laws - Obey copyright laws. Don’t steal!
  8. Help Internet Newbies - Be patient and helpful with others. Remember, everyone was a newbie once.
  9. Be Aware of Cyberbullying - Cyberbullying or electronic bullying continues to be an increasing problem. Parents should talk honestly and openly to children about the issues of electronic bullying. Studies suggest most children do NOT tell a trusted adult if they are a victim of electronic bullying. If targeted by a cyberbully, do not respond. Keep all ORIGINAL correspondence, with dates and times if possible. If the messages are of a threatening nature or safety is a concern, contact local law enforcement as soon as possible.
By following these simple and straightforward guidelines, the online experience will be enjoyable and safe for all!
For more important Internet Safety information, please read: