Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

info from gmc forums

Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 PM
chaparro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up info from gmc forums

Hello people. Its been a long time since we dont have good threads, and its time to start new ones. I was sniffing in gmc forums and this is what I found.

2012 GMC 2500HD Denali vs 2012 Ford Superduty F-250 Lariat
Today I test drove a 2012 GMC Denali 2500HD and a Ford Superduty F-250. My intent was to confirm my decision to buy a GMC but that is not what happened. The GMC was everything I expected it to be. It was very smooth and refined and had a solid ride better compared to other brands 3500 Duallies probably due to the fully boxed frame. It was a windy day and I felt no push from the wind like I did on a Ram 2500 test-drive. The interior felt like a Buick and I could see my wife making herself at home on a long trip. The power delivery was quick but almost too smooth like a Cadillac so I really didn’t feel the true power of the engine. Before I new it, I was tail gating other cars and it felt like I was going 50 but when I looked down I was over 80. I felt like I could drive this truck all day in Dallas traffic. This truck felt like a dream and I was pretty content with my demo ride of the truck the only things I didn’t like was the #1 Camper mirrors that are optional but most dealers only order this truck with them. I had a hard time seeing out these mirrors no matter how I adjusted them, they were has hard to see out of as a U-haul mirror. I prefer the Standard mirrors for better car like visibility during normal driving and unless you Tow a 5th wheel trailer or gooseneck, the standard mirrors work great for any tow hitch trailers and large boats, and they are nice to use the power fold up when parking in tight spaces. #2 The rear seats where too small and uncomfortable. I sat in the back seats and they were as comfortable as a straight jacket. I tried to imagine 2 of my best buddies riding in the back on a 5 hour drive to the coast for offshore fishing and you really cant stretch your legs to be comfortable on a long trip. It felt like flying Spirit Airlines!

I drove the Ford expecting it to loose to the GMC and I was quite surprised. The Ford F-250 gave me instant gratification as we left the lot. The 6.7L powerstroke felt very responsive and snappy on the gas pedal. I felt like I was driving my old 1965 Mustang. Compared to the GMC the ford felt like a true power-house and was a joy to drive. Once you get past the dancing digital displays and the truck style interior, it was a pleasure to drive and I quickly forgot about the GMC. The power retractable folding mirrors were very easy to see out of compared to the GMC and I found it easier to change lanes in traffic. The GMC is quicker getting up to 0-60mph but the Ford in quicker in the ¼ mile which is were you do most of your everyday acceleration from stop signs, traffic lights, and getting on the highway ramps. Unless you are drag racing the GMC on a air strip, the Ford blows it away in real world driving. I sat in the rear seats of the F-250 and there was plenty of room to stretch your legs out and find comfort spots on a long trip. Even the center seat was bearable for that tag-along 4th buddy. I absolutely loved the truck over the GMC looking at purely real world everyday use. I think my only objection are cosmetic styling being a little too bold for my taste but I think a Wheel/tire upgrade and color match paining of the outer grill frame like on the King Ranch puts a finishing touch on this truck to forget about the others.

So to recap pros & cons:

2012 GMC 2500 Denali HD

This is not tha first one. I have found so many threads in gmc and dodge forums talking about ford better nicer products. So what you think.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Gannon
Senior User
Always good to hear and after all the new Ford trucks have a reputation to uphold, one that was built by the old Ford trucks.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:38 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buying new or used vehicles should all be personal preference. What one likes, someone else doesn't.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kermmydog
Buying new or used vehicles should all be personal preference. What one likes, someone else doesn't.
Amen.....

Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 PM
usmcdad
New User
I have to be honest here. I am a recent Ford convert due to Obama selling Gm mostly to China. I do love my 02 F250 superduty but truly have to say my 2009 and 2010 GMC Sierra s with the 5.3 aka 327 were mighty quick. When the 6 speed was engaged adn was a truly hauling machine and the traction control in the storm of 12-18 about 3 years ago brough all 6 of us home while others were stranded for 4 hours begging for me to stop but I was at capacity. Those 2 trucks were in a lack of better words beastly BUT when Obama sold them to China I dumped them for Ford. i am American PERIOD! Ford has served me well ovr my 40 t years in sevice and will continue to rely on their legendary capacity. No yoyota or Nissan will ever live in this Marine's garage or my marine son's either. We are Americna By God! Weather it be Ford, Chevy or Dodge it is American or nothing else. Right now I have a love affair with my 02 Superduty.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by usmcdad
I have to be honest here. I am a recent Ford convert due to Obama selling Gm mostly to China. I do love my 02 F250 superduty but truly have to say my 2009 and 2010 GMC Sierra s with the 5.3 aka 327 were mighty quick. When the 6 speed was engaged adn was a truly hauling machine and the traction control in the storm of 12-18 about 3 years ago brough all 6 of us home while others were stranded for 4 hours begging for me to stop but I was at capacity. Those 2 trucks were in a lack of better words beastly BUT when Obama sold them to China I dumped them for Ford. i am American PERIOD! Ford has served me well ovr my 40 t years in sevice and will continue to rely on their legendary capacity. No yoyota or Nissan will ever live in this Marine's garage or my marine son's either. We are Americna By God! Weather it be Ford, Chevy or Dodge it is American or nothing else. Right now I have a love affair with my 02 Superduty.
The 5.3 is not the same as the old 327 small block. They are an LS series engine and I believe they are actually 325 cubic inch displacement. Still a pretty good engine though.