2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

'12 Remote Start problem

Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
BlackNM6.0
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 Remote Start problem

The remote start on my '12 Expy starts the engine fine but when I insert the key into the ignition the engine dies, whether it is a programmed MYKEY or not. This is not correct is it? Does a dealer service dept have to fix this?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
This is being shared from another forum and I hope it helps. My dealer actually recommended and had installed on their lot an aftermarket (avital) remote start instead. the guy was able to program the remote start to my factory key also so there is no extra FOB. The range sucks on it (I originally had the two way one - but hated the huge FOB). Good luck

"I took my new 2011 to the dealer as this is definitely not the way a remote start should work. They said the same as others have posted on this site. Can't be changed...

Well it can. Doing so will bypass the MyKey Feature of the used key. So if you are concerned about it you can set the remote start key to a restricted key. This will leave the car in the restricted mode when it is started using the Remote.

Here is the way to change it: This was posted by another user (Mustang46) on another forum.

It is easily programmed to change this behavior. You can do it at home. You can change the run time to 15 minutes and turn off the horn chirps at start, if you want.

To change the stop engine "feature", you need to set option 7 in Bank 2...

[***************]http://techservices.codesystems.com/[/COLOR]

This apparently is the supplier of the Ford remote start systems. Just create a Login and then click Ford at the top of the page. The PDF that you are looking for is titled
'PROGRAMMING - GEN2 BRONZE WITH OR WITHOUT "MYKEY"'. It details the programming process.

Interestingly, there is also a document titled 'NEW 2010 MODEL YEAR SECURITY ENHANCEMENTS FOR MYKE', which is a memo to dealers stating not to reprogram this for customers even if they complain about the issue in this thread...

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 50px" class=quote>It is easily programmed to change this behavior. You can do it at home. You can change the run time to 15 minutes and turn off the horn chirps at start, if you want.

To change the stop engine "feature", you need to set option 7 in Bank 2...

[***************]http://techservices.codesystems.com/[/COLOR]

This apparently is the supplier of the Ford remote start systems. Just create a Login and then click Ford at the top of the page. The PDF that you are looking for is titled
'PROGRAMMING - GEN2 BRONZE WITH OR WITHOUT "MYKEY"'. It details the programming process.

Interestingly, there is also a document titled 'NEW 2010 MODEL YEAR SECURITY ENHANCEMENTS FOR MYKE', which is a memo to dealers stating not to reprogram this for customers even if they complain about the issue in this thread... </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
It only takes 4-5 minutes to do this.

The button you need to get into programming mode is located under your dash and is taped under there. Mine was close to the OBDC jack.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 PM
BlackNM6.0
Senior User

I saw that in a thread about '11s. Will this work for a '12 as well?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 AM
BlackNM6.0
Senior User

I was out last night looking for the button and LED under the dash, which I couldn't find, and while kneeling next to it leaning inside I inadvertently pushed the start button, it was in my pocket, and it started with the door open. This isn't right either, is it? It shouldn't have started and the horn should have chirped a few times. I think they either wired it wrong or programmed it wrong. Looks like I'll be taking it to a dealer. Apparently the installer didn't run the test procedure that is in the installation instructions.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My 11 make sure all doors are close, hood closed, it locks the doors, and then beep the horn before it starts.
I did have to go back to the dealer to tell them to disable the whole mykey bs. Now I can remote start the expey, put the key in, and drive off.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Johnny Law
Junior User
It should work on the '12's. The system seems to be the same one. The hardest part of the whole thing is finding the button and LED under the dash. Mine was easy but some have them all covered in electrical tape. It's a shame what FORD has done with the remote start to preserve a system "MyKey" that IMO is not worth the electrons used to operate it.

Definitely take it in to fix. It should not start with the door open. They will need to uncover the LED and the button to re-program so they will do the "Dirty work".

Just my opinion.

Johnny

Old 05-25-2012, 06:53 PM
BlackNM6.0
Senior User

Just got it back from the dealer and they insist that it should shut off when you insert the key in the ignition. The service manager insisted that this is to prevent you from turning the key to the start position with the engine running and possibly damaging the starter. You'd have to turn the key awfully far to do that so I don't buy it. The tech helping me went out to one of their Dodge trucks and it worked the way I expect it to.

They did discover the reason it started with the door open was because the interior lights were turned off. With the lights on, however, it won't start with the door open but will shut off as soon as you open the door which makes my original gripe moot because I can't even get in to put the key in. This also doesn't make sense to me. If I remote start my vehicle I expect to be able to get in, insert the key and drive off.

I did have a tech find the switch and LED for me so I can program it myself.

Am I crazy? Shouldn't the engine keep running unless you step on the brake first to prevent theft?

Does the MyKey feature play into the functionality? Neither of the keys are activated as MyKeys because if one of my kids is going to drive it my wife or I will be with them. (Although I might want to limit my wife's speed)

Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
The aftermarket system they put in my vehicle has a circuit that prevents you from tunring the vehicle starter over when it is already running. I am not certain about the "my key" feature because I do not envisione using it. Although, they did not mention anything about it. I will tell you that Dodge has their stuff together when it comes to their remote start. I am using my Dad's 2011 1500 while he has my Expy down south - his remote start has incredible range and even turns on the cooled seats. Again - my Ford dealer discouraged me from using the factory remote start and had their subcontracted guy do the remote start and it is under the 5yr 75k factory warranty.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:37 AM
cdmm151
Senior User
I printed the instructions now I can't find the program override button. Can some one tell me where to find it? I find a plug next to the code reader port that has nothing plugged into it. Is that it but missing the button part?

Old 05-26-2012, 11:32 AM
BlackNM6.0
Senior User

I had the service guys find mine. It's behind the plastic where the brake release lever is. Each installer is different tho. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:42 AM
cdmm151
Senior User
Does anybody have a picture?

Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM
kalfieri33
New User
Location of remote programming button and LED on my 2012 expedition

I have pics to share but can't figure out how to post them here. Any suggestions?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:07 PM
cdmm151
Senior User
I found it. It's behind the emergency brake release. It can be a little confusing but with a little persistence it can be achieved. Unlike the US government.