6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

6.2 Super Duty Power Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Fireboater
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.2 Super Duty Power Upgrade

Hi there, is there any word on ford going to upgrade the power of the 6.2 yet i.e. 3 or 4 Valve heads.
Thanks
John

Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Fireboater
Hi there, is there any word on ford going to upgrade the power of the 6.2 yet i.e. 3 or 4 Valve heads.
Thanks
John
I've been kinda waiting in the shadows for the same answer.

I'm still waiting...

Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Subscribed ... 3-valve heads would do wonders... not sure how they'd get two spark plugs in there though

Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Subscribed...

maybe bore/stroke it out a little and add the 3 or 4 valve -
then make the trans like a 8 speed

I would then trade the 2011... & that pretty unusual for me - I usually drive 'em 8-10 yrs...

Old 05-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
The whole point of the 6.2L 'Boss' was to make an engine with enough bore spacing to not only give at least a 4" cylinder bore, but it turn provide enough room for adequately sized valves in a 2 valve configuration. The 3 valve head on the Mod. was a 'band-aid'. The bore size was so small it limited the size of the intake valves. The quick solution was to use 2 small intake valves instead of one large valve, so shrouding was no longer an issue and the total intake 'window' was increased. That is why the 3 valve head worked so well on the Mod.. A 3 valve head would probably not be near as effective on a 6.2L because the single valve they currently use is quite large, and there is not a shrouding issue due to the lager bore. At this point it looks like the 'Boss' family will not be developed for high performance applications (that is what the 5.0L 'Coyote' is for). I think at some point a larger displacement 'Boss' (7.0L?) will replace the 6.8L V-10, but I don't think any 3 or 4 valve configurations are in the cards. I could be wrong. No clue as to why the 6.2L has not replaced the 6.8L V-10 in the F-450 and larger trucks yet.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

That is good to know... Not being much of a mechanic - I didn't realize the 2/3 valve issue..

I think that you are right - the v-10 in the larger rigs needs a higher displacement version of the 6.2 to replace it... I only hope that Ford will let us "upgrade" from the 6.2 in the 250/350 trucks....

Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
It is possible that if a larger 'Boss' was made for the commercial trucks it might find its way into Super Duty pickups, but remember that HD pickups must now conform to fuel economy standards. It seems that all the manufacturers are building their large gasoline engines right around 6.2L displacement, and I think it is because that size gives the best balance between power and economy. My guess is future gains in horsepower and torque will come from direct gasoline fuel injection because it actually helps fuel economy in the process. GM will have D.I. on the Gen. V 6.2L next year, and I hear it makes well north of 400 h.p.. And I heard a rumor that the 6.2L 'Boss' was designed with D.I. in mind..........

Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
It is possible that if a larger 'Boss' was made for the commercial trucks it might find its way into Super Duty pickups, but remember that HD pickups must now conform to fuel economy standards. It seems that all the manufacturers are building their large gasoline engines right around 6.2L displacement, and I think it is because that size gives the best balance between power and economy. My guess is future gains in horsepower and torque will come from direct gasoline fuel injection because it actually helps fuel economy in the process. GM will have D.I. on the Gen. V 6.2L next year, and I hear it makes well north of 400 h.p.. And I heard a rumor that the 6.2L 'Boss' was designed with D.I. in mind..........

YES...agreed. D.I. is the way of the future for the 'Boss' line. Which...IMHO...should have been configured that way from the start.

The only other thing to get the 6.2L 'Boss' with more hp/torque is to go ecoboost straight away. Add the D.I. and twin (small) turbo...with ecoboost thinking and strategy.

That would make it so much more efficient! Plus...adding that 8 spd Auto tranny...and we could be seeing a 15% to 20% increase in mpg's!..with the proper gears.

biz