bogg down experiances too...?

Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bogg down experiances too...?

Hey i am Phil I am experiencing bogg down problems when sitting at traffic lights...

I recall someone talking about this before but i cannot find their post.....

I know its a fuel related problem....

If i recall something correctly "Jet" problems is what someone said on this forum.

My carb sure could use a rebuild anyway i think.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 AM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year? Model? Engine? Some of this info might be helpful.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
it could be something as simple as a wore out accelerator pump.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
it could be something as simple as a wore out accelerator pump.
ok i was figuring it was fuel related.

where may i find this "accelerator pump"
this i will be the first time tinkering with the carb

i also got note from someone else it could be a vacumm link to make things simple "VACCUM HOSES"

~,~

Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh man, it could your pump, your filter, your ACC pump, your vacuum hoses, or your adjustment screws need to be tuned again. You *should* start with looking for a vacuum leak the you can check your filter by pulling it off and blowing in the inlet tube. if it harder to blow than normal than you could replace it. For vacuum if you can try choking the carb out by covering it with your hands or something similar to greatly reduce the air flow and if it speeds up the RPMs usually that means a vacuum leak. Then you could check the jet adjustment screws but i don't know too much on those so i can't give advice there.

As for Critter, it is a 75 (sig pic) 400M and 4 bbl carb Model being Ranchero.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Oh man, it could your pump, your filter, your ACC pump, your vacuum hoses, or your adjustment screws need to be tuned again. You *should* start with looking for a vacuum leak the you can check your filter by pulling it off and blowing in the inlet tube. if it harder to blow than normal than you could replace it. For vacuum if you can try choking the carb out by covering it with your hands or something similar to greatly reduce the air flow and if it speeds up the RPMs usually that means a vacuum leak. Then you could check the jet adjustment screws but i don't know too much on those so i can't give advice there.

As for Critter, it is a 75 (sig pic) 400M and 4 bbl carb Model being Ranchero.
Its not the hoses i pulled the brake line vaccum booster and blew a cigar in it
no leak..

I just brought the little filter for the inlet of the carb (Micro filter) i am going to installs that. i also brought the plunger if that is not it...

it may need adjusting its a edlebrock for sure. 4 bbl

Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
You could try adjusting it, there should be 2 screws next to each other and with the engine running turn them left or right and see what happens BUT remember where they were before.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
You could try adjusting it, there should be 2 screws next to each other and with the engine running turn them left or right and see what happens BUT remember where they were before.
ok well i can do that... i got a camra phone so yeah... i would have to do this after the engine warms up...

it only stumbles at idle after extended periods of time running, It also was not doing this until i was mad one day and put the peddle to the metal! lol

I think it opened up the carb... and set the settings offf. that or either some trash got sucked in some where.

IT will stumble only in nutaral or on drive at a stop light.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
The stumbling would more likely be a firing issue like dirty plugs or something with the coil. Not so much fuel delivery BUT that doesn't mean you should rule it out. You could try pulling a few plugs and if their overly fouled you could replace em or clean them up. And i shouldn't have to suggest this and i assume you do have an air filter on there :P Unless bits of that got sucked in nothing big enough to cause an issue should get by. If you can get it to a point of stumbling all the time take a test light and wrap a unfolded paper clip on the end, then ground it. Stick the paper clip into the boot of each plug wire on the cap and whichever plug shorts out and doesn't change the motors stumbling would be a bad plug/wire/contact on the cap. I doubt that is the issue though.

And one more thing, if you got any carb cleaner laying about, spray it into the carb and run it and see if it helps. It may be gummed up.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:36 AM
chamblizi
Senior User
The stumbling would more likely be a firing issue like dirty plugs or something with the coil. Not so much fuel delivery BUT that doesn't mean you should rule it out. You could try pulling a few plugs and if their overly fouled you could replace em or clean them up. And i shouldn't have to suggest this and i assume you do have an air filter on there :P Unless bits of that got sucked in nothing big enough to cause an issue should get by. If you can get it to a point of stumbling all the time take a test light and wrap a unfolded paper clip on the end, then ground it. Stick the paper clip into the boot of each plug wire on the cap and whichever plug shorts out and doesn't change the motors stumbling would be a bad plug/wire/contact on the cap. I doubt that is the issue though.

And one more thing, if you got any carb cleaner laying about, spray it into the carb and run it and see if it helps. It may be gummed up.

my wires are new btw it died today at a light from a stumble out started right back up...

when i was out earlier i checked my air cleaner come to find out it had sucked up a few leaves into the cabin too.. but the filter kept it all from going in... could be a fouled spark plug and i may know which one cause when i changed my plugs a couple months back for the first time... napa sold a jacked up threaded plug... and i had to throw a old one back in... but its only at low speeds i have this problem. i am thinking it is a plug. but i will not know until tomarrow, when i pull the air cleaner off again.. BTW I GOT SENT OUT on a job today given by express personnel I was working at Emerald Graphics.

6 hours of work.... hopefully i will have to go again tomarrow I really liked what i was doing... Basically i was working with separating printed puzzle boxes and what not and also working with ripping these tab things of this advertisement thing... My hand is red from working but all worth it when i see my check. Big Factory btw first time at a factory job.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
That sounds like fun. I will get around $50 not this weekend but next weekend. I work one night a week at my local Chevron BTW if your up at 10PM and nothing to do come down and get some free soda and check out my bronco.

Anyways it is a small job and small paycheck but it is enough to give me some money to play with. All i do is re stock the shelves with normal store goods. I get free fountain soda, some muffins or if the chip companies leave bags of expired chips for us we get those too. I can also get coffee but the stuff we have isn't the best and upsets my stomach. I am probably going down there tonight actually cause there is supposed to be a lot of wack jobs out and it makes for a fun night.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
That sounds like fun. I will get around $50 not this weekend but next weekend. I work one night a week at my local Chevron BTW if your up at 10PM and nothing to do come down and get some free soda and check out my bronco.

Anyways it is a small job and small paycheck but it is enough to give me some money to play with. All i do is re stock the shelves with normal store goods. I get free fountain soda, some muffins or if the chip companies leave bags of expired chips for us we get those too. I can also get coffee but the stuff we have isn't the best and upsets my stomach. I am probably going down there tonight actually cause there is supposed to be a lot of wack jobs out and it makes for a fun night.

wheres this so called gas station?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:59 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Know where the Supermall is? It is the Chevron gas station right down by there. It is also right off Hwy 167, it even has a sign for the supermall exit. I don't know if you take 18 or 167 to get down here but it is accessible both ways. Otherwise known as the 15th south exit.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:22 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Know where the Supermall is? It is the Chevron gas station right down by there. It is also right off Hwy 167, it even has a sign for the supermall exit. I don't know if you take 18 or 167 to get down here but it is accessible both ways. Otherwise known as the 15th south exit.
OK BTW i figured it out! several one other person on my complex has this problem

Come to find out, ITS SAFEWAY'S GAS ITS WATERED DOWN

Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by chamblizi
OK BTW i figured it out! several one other person on my complex has this problem

Come to find out, ITS SAFEWAY'S GAS ITS WATERED DOWN
DUDE, had you told me you got gas at safeway i could have told you that... MY first car (mustang) had a 2bbl carb on it and i got safeway gas once, it barely ran on it. As soon as i went back to AMPM it ran great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bogg down experiances too...?