Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another build thread on an old p/up

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:17 AM
adam.hilberath
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YOU, my friend, have inspired me...to never even think of selling my truck again until it is an absolute SOLID must...Your truck when you got it, looked halfway decent to ok...but now, this little beauty, is like a diamond that was once covered in dust. Excellent Body, Engine, Exhaust, excellent everything! I'm a v8 guy, but this little beauty, im still liking. Amazing work...sorry for rambling

Old 08-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
noo not a razor back!! take it off please!!!

the rest looks great tho!
Nope. To each his own and I happen to love these.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Have you taken it for a quick spin?
Haven't been able to drive it yet, thermostat housing has been off waiting on the heat pipe neck. The turbo is physically attached but not plumbed to the intake yet.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:37 AM
TacoSlayer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope you get it running soon.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Zookie400
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
next week we will have some shop time, send me a reminder message monday and ill go check the tires on the race truck, maybe even drop one off at your place if i get a chance. i think they are 32".

Old 08-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Thanks, will do!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Towmanjbo
Nope. To each his own and I happen to love these.
Just when I thought you had awesome taste, you put that on your truck? LOL

Old 08-14-2012, 02:00 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Yea well, I've always liked them and it reminds me of the wreckers I started towing in.

Anyways I powder coated the heater neck and thermostat housing to protect from rust and the housing blistered while curing, oh well I was never going to win any beauty contests

I also installed the fittings for the tranny cooler lines, so the leaks are gone!

With those done I was able to start him up and go for a quick ride, here's a updated quick video.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Zookie400
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
razor backs are definitely a love or hate item. my brother took his off, and we brought it to a swap meet and i was being mobbed by people in the parking lot who wanted it...while we were driving in! we had a mini auction for it, so many people wanted it.

i say...whatever!

take that thermostat neck off and ill sandblast it, i have a few small parts i need to do this week. anything else (small, dont have time to do big stuff) you might want done? i should be able to pop a tire off for you tomorrow if you want to swing by and grab it and you could dump parts off.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Zookie400
take that thermostat neck off and ill sandblast it,
I appreciate the offer but, for now it'll stay that way. I plan to pull the motor possibly next spring to go through it after I get the turbo relatively dialed in. Maybe bore it out some, put in some forged slugs and swap in a different cam. We'll see what the pocket can afford at that time, I'll also worry about making things pretty then.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Intercooler is in the mail!!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:51 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Intercooler is in the mail!!
What IC did you get?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

I scored a 99-02 7.3 IC on eBay for 100+ s&h

Old 04-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Holy cow it's been a long time since I've worked on him. The only update I have is some "new" tires my mechanic had lying around his shop he sold me, and this was back in Feb of 2014. The Goodyears on him were getting bald and the chrome on the wheels was peeling, so I mounted them on some white spokes I had in storage. I really like these on the truck. I think they look great, especially with the two-tone paint.

I still haven't connected the turbo fully. I hit a snag, the intercooler I specifically bought to nest around the radiator doesn't nest. This must be because of the all aluminum radiator I had installed. At that point (fall of 2012) I had stopped work because I could drive it if I needed it in the approaching winter and snow. I also had an unexpected job change and had started dating my now fiancee. Since then life has gotten in the way of working on him but I still love driving him.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy cow it's been a long time since I've worked on him. The only update I have is some "new" tires my mechanic had lying around his shop he sold me, and this was back in Feb of 2014. The Goodyears on him were getting bald and the chrome on the wheels was peeling, so I mounted them on some white spokes I had in storage. I really like these on the truck. I think they look great, especially with the two-tone paint.

I still haven't connected the turbo fully. I hit a snag, the intercooler I specifically bought to nest around the radiator doesn't nest. This must be because of the all aluminum radiator I had installed. At that point (fall of 2012) I had stopped work because I could drive it if I needed it in the approaching winter and snow. I also had an unexpected job change and had started dating my now fiancee. Since then life has gotten in the way of working on him but I still love driving him.
God this sounds familiar to the project I was working on around 2012. Lol. Please finish this up, we need more turbo 300s running around to give people hope.

Quick Reply: Just another build thread on an old p/up