Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another build thread on an old p/up

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Peach Grower
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great job man!! Hoping to start a restoration of an 89 f150 soon. Gotta get an engine first though...cracked head. Cheaper to find a used engine than get a new head...lol.

I'm a large truck mech...we run all Cats...mech and electronic. I have read where a guy puts larger volume injectors and lowers fuel psi on the 300. What are your plans with your additional air?? Maybe a custom burn?? Doesn't that year model OBDII with a MAF sensor that you could have someone go into and rework your fuel and timing tables?? I know my 89 doesn't have a MAF...thought somewhere in the 90's the 300's came out with them. I'm new to these engines but have learn alot lurking around here and fordsix.com. Much like the Cats we have....you know there is a reason an inline six can do and last like it does. What kinds of boost numbers are you looking for?? You know as long as youve got your radiator and all out you should try to find an intercooler while your fabbing. From what I've seen from you you'll end up wanting one later anyways. The way you have built it so far the piping would not be a problem I don't think. Are studs in the future for the head??

Anyways GREAT THREAD...and more over GREAT JOB...loving the pics. I've done bass boat restos and always take pictures. A build with no pictures is just not any good!! lol

Where did you get your patch panels?? Mine has the EXACT same cancer. Did you get them from LMC??

Old 05-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks! OBDII and mass air for the 'ol 300 was in '96 and IIRC '95 Cali trucks were the only OBDI/MAF combo, good luck finding that donor combo. So I'm gonna try to make this work. There was a member who got it working on his '89 and I'm gonna try to copy him ( https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...y-300-six.html ) but he sold his truck awhile back and he doesn't post anymore. In the beginning I'm only looking for low boost numbers like 1~3 psi just to get it working, my engine has over 250k on it so I've got to be nice to it until I can pull it and rebuild it. And yes a intercooler is in the plans.
The panels are from a local supplier Autobody Specialties Inc but they are the same as the ones from LMC. They are on my way into work so I got them there. You used to be able to get the panels straight from TABCO (the manufacturer) and cut out all of the middlemen but that was back in the 90's I've also gotten them from jcwhitney

Last edited by Towmanjbo; 06-12-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: link didn't work
Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Just be prepared to modify them to get them to fit. The one with the arches I had to cut off the lower body line to get it nest properly over the rocker panel and the floor section I had to cut off the weather strip mounting lip to fit it. Both these panels work great together but you have to mod them because they are "made up" parts and not actual replacement panels. For instance if you look at your truck, the lower arches are part of the A and B pillars that are welded to the rocker panel. So since this is a very common rust zone the patch makers tried to make a fix-all panel and came up with that panel.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Intimnasc
Senior User
WOW! Towman you are incredible. That is awesome work. I can do alot for a normal person on a vehicle but you sir are an artist among fingerpainters. Keep up the posting and pics I love this thread.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

okay I guess I have to post pics of the rust I've decided not to tackle on this truck and where I've cut corners to bring me right back down with the other fingerpainters! lol

Old 05-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Zookie400
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who doesnt like fingerpaint?

Old 05-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Actually my refernce was more to all the people that are good at this or that and can do some things well other things great and suck at some things. If you look theres alot to rebuilding a rear end in and of itself. Set the gears with the wrong feeler or tighten the pinion too tight and you will be doing it again. Cutting out and welding floor pans and such is a pain in the but. What he is doing with the turbo is truly an artist and thnen through in the MAF converion and you have an artist.

Not saying others arent artists at some things just not alot of people can do it all very well. No matter what you are doing awesome and I look forward to future updates.

Oh and yes I love finger paints with the old lady and some body paint.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Slow work day, worked on the downpipe, measured the oil feed distance and ordered parts.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justin, I love your truck. I love what you're doing with it.

How do you like those 3.73's with the 31'' tires? What RPM's are you seeing on the highway?

Does your rig have the automatic or the 5 speed?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Thanks Bill, this truck has the E4OD so the rpm's aren't that high. The biggest jump was when I put the temporary axle in and it went from 308's to 355's then I drove it like that for a bit over a year. When I finally swapped in the 373's it didn't seem all that different but then I was also swapping in the posi at the same time. The posi steals some hp so the gain of grunt seemed negligible, that and I had initially set the brakes too firm whoops! It's been a little while since I drove it but I think I was running 2500-2700 at 70 compared to 1900 with the 308's

Old 06-12-2012, 01:54 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Justin. The turbo project is looking good. I have a couple questions though. What did that turbo come off of and do you know at what boost that internal wastegate opens? I'm just thinking that if that turbo is off a diesel or something, you may need to force that wastegate to open at the correct boost somehow, or block it and install an external wastegate. Wouldn't want it to run up to 15-20psi and blow something all because the wastegate wouldn't open.

Oh and the intercooler from a '99-03 SD 7.3L will fit in your truck. I've done some measuring on my own F-150 to make sure and it will work.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
carver94f350
Senior User
Ok so first of all this is epic! You're doing a killer job! Love it!

My question for you is on your alternator. What did you get it out of, and was it a straight bolt on or did you have any mods to do on it before it went on. I could use one of the 200amps for my set up.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

I'm not positive on the year (I think it was a '96) but it's from a chebby 6.5l. I was going to remove the wastegate control and fab my own with a calibrated spring. Like this on Turbo Bricklayer's truck:

It's crude but it works, after I get it working I may refine it to a different setup we'll see. I think I'm only going to plan on 8~10 psi max and start with less than 5 just to get my feet wet until I can pull the motor and rebuild it next summer.

"Oh and the intercooler from a '99-03 SD 7.3L will fit in your truck. I've done some measuring on my own F-150 to make sure and it will work"
That's right, I did read that in the 94-97 7.3 threads as many of those guys use it on the early powerstrokes. Thanks for the reminder I also plan on doing the c00nhunter tranny mod to the E4OD.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by carver94f350
Ok so first of all this is epic! You're doing a killer job! Love it!

My question for you is on your alternator. What did you get it out of, and was it a straight bolt on or did you have any mods to do on it before it went on. I could use one of the 200amps for my set up.
I got the alternator from RJM Injection Tech — Alternators although it seems they no longer sell the 200 because the belt slips, and yes I can attest to that I'm hoping that I solved that during this batch of upgrades. RJM has all the necessary parts for the mod and directions, it's pretty straight forward. Just make sure you get the correct case I got the wrong one by mistake and I couldn't send it back (powdercoated that one translucent purple ) so I bought a second stock 85amp with the correct case powdercoated it and put the 200 amp guts in it.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 AM
carver94f350
Senior User
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.

Quick Reply: Just another build thread on an old p/up