6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Hard Shifting When Cold Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 07:33 AM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hard Shifting When Cold Normal?

Hi Guys, been doing some searching but none of the other transmissions problems seem to match mine exactly, if you can even call it a problem. When my transmission is cold, below 70*, it tends to slam into gears, 1 through 3 particularly, however when warm it operates virtually flawlessly. I've reduced some of this by being extremely easy on the throttle till it gets to about 90* where it isn't so bad. Was just wondering if this was a normal characteristic of these new transmissions or if mines sensitive to the cold?

p.s. I did happen to notice on one occasion that when I had the key in the run position but the engine wasn't running that the gauge showed the transmission was -16* when it was 70* out, but it read normal as soon as i started the truck, just figured it didn't update when the truck wasn't running, but maybe not?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
The hard shifting when cold was always something I thought was normal, mine always did the same thing. I think it has to do with the engine warmup strategy because it forced the engine to operate at higher RPMs and then it would shift hard into the next highest gear. Never seen the -16° tranny temp though, mine was always within a few degrees of ambient after a cold soak.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 AM
mrjc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2012 does the same thing. This questions pops up a lot. Im not sure what the colder than lets say 60* has to do with it. It seems to shift snappier, like my 6.0L with a Spartan Tune. Then it shifts normally after a a couple miles or so.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Darrenkoke
New User
2012 6.7 Powerstroke Hard shifts

I have a 2012 6.7 Powerstroke recently had GDP Rampage SOTF tune added, not sure if the problem existed before, really didnt notice it , but since ive had it tuned, when i start it up and drive it before the engine warms up, grant it, the daily temps have been in the low 70s, in the morning to low to mid 90s in the afternoon doesnt seem to matter, it shifts hard gears 1 thru 3 and seems to smooth out and not shift as hard as the truck comes to temp, but since i only work about 15 blocks from where i live and its all stop and go driving, warming up rarely happens. except on weekends when i run it...... anybody thats has dealt with this or any advice would be great, i wasnt sure if it was the truck just being cold or if it was the new tune...... thanks again D

Last edited by Darrenkoke; 08-01-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: info left out and typo's
Old 08-01-2019, 03:15 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Stock trucks have the hard up-shifts when cold too. Mine does it while driving out of the neighborhood during the 2-3 shift. Funny thing is, no hard up-shifts in tow/haul mode when cold which is usually what I use.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Darrenkoke
New User
thats interesting, i wonder if i can still use the tow switch on mine, seeing im running GDP Tunes now... thanks for the info

Old 01-30-2020, 09:05 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine started the 5th to 6th weak shift after a transmission fluid & filter change. I have 97k on the truck now and this is the second time the fluid was swapped, but first filter change as Ford recommended not changing the filter at the 60k flush they performed, allegedly.

The private mechanic I use is a Ford mechanic, but doesn't perform a flush, he only swaps fluid. It appears as though only the Ford Dealership can perform a true TCM reflash? My mechanic said that it's debatable whether or not he can even clear the tables as he runs a Mac Tool scan system made by OTC. The dealership quoted me $230 for one hour. Sounds steep, but I suppose if this addresses the issue, it's worth it. Does anyone know if the Mac Tool scan tool will work or not?

Old 04-22-2023, 02:14 PM
Bear Ford
3rd Gear
2018 6.7L Hard Cold Shift

My 6.7 is deleted with PPEI SOF tunes on motor and trans. I have hard cold downshifts from 3-1 when cold. Started happening after 100k miles when really cold (below zero). Got a bit worse this winter. Flushed fluid again at 130k recently and it’s still doing it. Noticed it’s much less when I have my tube at 1 vs 2-3.

Any more info or follow up on curing when flashing data tables, or other parts replacement? Dealer said they can’t flash unless I remove the tunes.

Originally Posted by mechelement
Mine started the 5th to 6th weak shift after a transmission fluid & filter change. I have 97k on the truck now and this is the second time the fluid was swapped, but first filter change as Ford recommended not changing the filter at the 60k flush they performed, allegedly.

The private mechanic I use is a Ford mechanic, but doesn't perform a flush, he only swaps fluid. It appears as though only the Ford Dealership can perform a true TCM reflash? My mechanic said that it's debatable whether or not he can even clear the tables as he runs a Mac Tool scan system made by OTC. The dealership quoted me $230 for one hour. Sounds steep, but I suppose if this addresses the issue, it's worth it. Does anyone know if the Mac Tool scan tool will work or not?