Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

2012 F150 Harley Davidson gets Whipple S/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 PM
crawco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F150 Harley Davidson gets Whipple S/C

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I took delivery of a new 2012 HD F150 last week. I immediately ordered and Whipple Supercharger from Lethal Performance and a set of Headers and true dual 3" exhaust from Stainless Works. I am having the Headers Ceramic Coated at JETHOT. Part of the package includes a Dyno session to fine tune the Custom Dan Lund Tune that comes with the kit. I am so psyched. I have been driving my 2006 F150 5.4 for 7 years and hated this motor from day one. It is such a dog from 0-3000rpm. I thought about putting a S/C on it but the reviews were not that great. I am happy that my new stock daily driver is now ½ second faster than my wife’s Escalade. But I am not stopping there. I will post my progress here when all that parts come in about another 2 weeks. It is too much fun to put a blower on a new vehicle.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:38 AM
jetpilot2
Tuned
Congrats!

Any updates?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
crawco
New User
PArts are in

It took longer than I thought to receive all the parts. Whipple was backed up on a shortage of gears and it takes a while to for Stailess Works to build the headers and ship them to JetHot for ceramic coating. Additionally JetHot was not satisfied with the completed coating that had runs in it. They redid the headers and they look amazing. I will start the install next week. More to come.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 PM
whippledfx4
Freshman User
updates?! Sounds exciting.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 AM
crawco
New User
What a Freakin Nightmare

I am still trying to get my truck right. The SC install was very difficult because Whipple has not done the research to see if the kit fits other F150s besides the Raptor. I paid $8000 for the polished 2.9L SC Kit from Lethal Performance with the Custom (haha) Jon Lund Tune because I was installing Stainless Works Headers and full 3” dual exhaust and the Whipple tune will not work with headers. I am essentially the guinea pig for them. The first SC had a bad bearing and sounded like the loudest gear drive you have ever heard. Lucky for me I live 150 miles from Whipple HQ in Fresno, Ca. Mike at Whipple was really good about getting me a new polished SC for me to pick up. Shipping would take too long and my truck was down. Besides it gave me a great excuse for a 300 mile road trip in my ’07 GT500 Super Snake. Mike didn’t seem too disturbed about me showing up with a Ken Belle SC under the hood of my Shelby. He gave me the tour and I got some great pics. Whipple is top notch they just need to do their homework better. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" oreferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><vath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></vath><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 468pt; HEIGHT: 289.5pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_1 type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="IMG_2355-2" src="file:///C:\Users\Marc\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o></o>
Next stop header install. Passenger side is rough because 6.2 motor is offset to that side to make room for the differential in a 4WD application. Gotta remove the starter and both front wheels to make it easier. Had to jack up the motor until SC was hitting top of cowl and just barely slammed the header in after trying for a half hour. Also my new 10k 2-Post lift got its breaking in with my truck on it for a week. Actually Stainless Works exhaust is the best fitting highest quality I have ever installed. It should be for $3000 including ceramic coating the headers from JetHot. The sound is soooo deep it sets car alarms off just driving down the street.<o></o>
<o> </o>
Now the hard part, the Jon Lund Tune. It SUCKS and they refuse to contact you. Lethal refers you to support.lundracing.com, but there is no phone and they will only communicate with Lethal. It has been 3 weeks and it is still jacked. I have it at a local tuner trying to create a custom tune starting with the stock Ford 6.2 tune. There is a major flaw in the idling parameters for Lund Tunes. Many people having this problem online. Once the motor warms up it will not idle steady. The RPMs jump to 1500 with no notice. It will bounce between 300 and 1500 dying most times even while driving. I had my truck throw a 1500 rpm rev at a stop light and lurch forward and almost hit a high school kid in the crosswalk. At this point I have my tuner sending datalogs to Ken Briones at Lund Racing. I still cannot believe these guys will not acknowledge my existence with the courtesy of an email or phone call. Lethal seams to being trying to make it right. Dealing with Derek there and he seems to be a good guy. I would stay away from Lund Tunes at all costs. The arrogant customer service is reason enough aside for the defective product. Many people online have given up and gone to local tuners for proper tune.<o></o>
<o> </o>
The tuner has it on a Mustang Dyno so he able to test it under load. Only pulled one test to set a baseline with the Lund tune. Came in at 464 at only 5500rpms. I can’t wait to get it running wright and floor it. I am sure it will be well over 500hp to the rear wheels.<o></o>
<o></o>

Old 06-13-2012, 06:46 AM
jetpilot2
Tuned
Sounds like it will be a BEAST when you get it sorted out!

Mine had idle issues after the headers got installed, but a quick adjustment to the tune cured it. I have a local tuner that is great!! I think you are going the correct route with a local guy as long as he knows what he is doing!!

I'd like to hear more about the SW headers. When I was in the market for headers, it was between SW and American Racing. I couldn't get SW to give me a single reference of a customer for my model year (04-08). The only truck was their demo. and wanted more of a testimony than the "salesman's". Needless to say, I went with American Racing and couldn't be happier.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Rule12b
New User
I'm researching S/C kits for my 2012 HD Screw and Whipple is the kit I'm leaning toward (mainly since Kenne Belle doesn't seem to want to go there). I'd really like to hear how this comes together for the OP when all is said an done.

I'll probably run Kooks headers with Corsa exhaust as I love the drone-free nature of the Corsa at cruise and this combo runs well on my blown CTS-V track car.

Please keep the information coming!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 AM
walpatal
New User
interesting

Old 09-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Poolshark1321
Freshman User
Hope all your hard work and headaches pay off... thanks for sharing, definitely going to be a whole different animal when shes done.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:51 PM
LongNap
New User
Originally Posted by crawco
I am still trying to get my truck right. The SC install was very difficult because Whipple has not done the research to see if the kit fits other F150s besides the Raptor. I paid $8000 for the polished 2.9L SC Kit from Lethal Performance with the Custom (haha) Jon Lund Tune because I was installing Stainless Works Headers and full 3” dual exhaust and the Whipple tune will not work with headers. I am essentially the guinea pig for them. The first SC had a bad bearing and sounded like the loudest gear drive you have ever heard. Lucky for me I live 150 miles from Whipple HQ in Fresno, Ca. Mike at Whipple was really good about getting me a new polished SC for me to pick up. Shipping would take too long and my truck was down. Besides it gave me a great excuse for a 300 mile road trip in my ’07 GT500 Super Snake. Mike didn’t seem too disturbed about me showing up with a Ken Belle SC under the hood of my Shelby. He gave me the tour and I got some great pics. Whipple is top notch they just need to do their homework better. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" oreferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><vath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></vath><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 468pt; HEIGHT: 289.5pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_1 type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="IMG_2355-2" src="file:///C:\Users\Marc\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o></o>
Next stop header install. Passenger side is rough because 6.2 motor is offset to that side to make room for the differential in a 4WD application. Gotta remove the starter and both front wheels to make it easier. Had to jack up the motor until SC was hitting top of cowl and just barely slammed the header in after trying for a half hour. Also my new 10k 2-Post lift got its breaking in with my truck on it for a week. Actually Stainless Works exhaust is the best fitting highest quality I have ever installed. It should be for $3000 including ceramic coating the headers from JetHot. The sound is soooo deep it sets car alarms off just driving down the street.<o></o>
<o> </o>
Now the hard part, the Jon Lund Tune. It SUCKS and they refuse to contact you. Lethal refers you to support.lundracing.com, but there is no phone and they will only communicate with Lethal. It has been 3 weeks and it is still jacked. I have it at a local tuner trying to create a custom tune starting with the stock Ford 6.2 tune. There is a major flaw in the idling parameters for Lund Tunes. Many people having this problem online. Once the motor warms up it will not idle steady. The RPMs jump to 1500 with no notice. It will bounce between 300 and 1500 dying most times even while driving. I had my truck throw a 1500 rpm rev at a stop light and lurch forward and almost hit a high school kid in the crosswalk. At this point I have my tuner sending datalogs to Ken Briones at Lund Racing. I still cannot believe these guys will not acknowledge my existence with the courtesy of an email or phone call. Lethal seams to being trying to make it right. Dealing with Derek there and he seems to be a good guy. I would stay away from Lund Tunes at all costs. The arrogant customer service is reason enough aside for the defective product. Many people online have given up and gone to local tuners for proper tune.<o></o>
<o> </o>
The tuner has it on a Mustang Dyno so he able to test it under load. Only pulled one test to set a baseline with the Lund tune. Came in at 464 at only 5500rpms. I can’t wait to get it running wright and floor it. I am sure it will be well over 500hp to the rear wheels.<o></o>
<o></o>
I sure would like to chat with you if all possible, I've got my kit installed and all the bugs worked out of it. I believe you and I have the only two 2012 Whipple Harley trucks in the country!?

Here's my build thread:
Installing a 2.9L Whipple on my 2012 F150 Harley-Davidson - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Please PM me if you get this... I made 513rwhp on stock pipes and I'm thinking about exhaust next and I could use your advice.

Thanks,
David.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 PM
screwxtr
Junior User
Hi all

I haven't been on this site in a long time. Just dropped in and saw this thread. I bought a 2012 Harley F150. I had the dealer install a Roushcharger, Roush exhaust and Roush CAI. Took the exhaust off not long after I bought it cause I couldn't stand the drone. Maybe I could have tried reinstalling the resonator. But decided to install the Corsa system instead. Ran with Roush tune for a few months. Allready had a SCT X3 from the previous truck. Tried a few mail order custom tunes. Had issues finding one that worked right. Found a good dyno tuner. Got him to install a smaller pulley, belt and spark plugs. Got it tuned. Works awesome. Recently installed Ford Racing twin 65mm throttle body. Really helped throttle response. Ordered Kooks LT's and y-pipe with high flow cats. Will be getting theses installed in a few weeks and retuned. Trucks runs great. Gets about the same mpg's as stock when I drive it conservatively on the highway. Around town, not so much. Lol