dewatering wvo

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
dewatering wvo

Guys, i'm stumped. My eyes are popping outta my head, and get'n a knarly headache reading anything/everything pertaining to this... Did a batch and after settling, did the crackle test, just to see bubbles under the oil. Its been settling for 12+hrs, along with heated to 200+*F. I then passed it thru a 50/20/5 micron filters, hoping it would catch what water was remaining, but to no prevail. Am i missing a step, man i'm ready to pull trigger on a centrifuge. Appreciate any input fellas.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I used to have water problems too until I was told about Magnesol. A bonus of using it is that it also removes water from Bio. Only drawback is you need to filter more than 5 microns.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Appreciate the feedback, Trent. Ya, i'm bug'n out here. Can not for life of me understand WHAT's goin on. My set-up is exactly how this other kats' is...etc. I'm thinking, about the "fanning" ofthe oil. I saw a thread where they used firesprinkler head to "dewater". Well, my bro inlaw has a company in this field. Gonna pick a few up, pipe off the pump, and see what happens.

Magnesol....what/where 's that..lol

Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Google it, expains better than I can. In a nutshell removes impurities along with water and methanol from biodiesel. I assumed you were making bio?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
How are you getting the oil to the filter? Just sucking good oil off the top of a jug or pouring into a barrel filter?

FWIW, I just settle in the sun and suck good off the top and run through a water trap fuel filter. Only done one water test in 8 years and it didn't crackle too bad so I never changed my method. I also run a water trap filter on the truck, I figure if it gets past 2 filters it must my lucky day to sit on the side of the road.....

Old 04-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

You sound like you do more than we do. We filter though a paint filter for a 5 gallon bucket into a 55 gallon barrell. (see gallery) After settling for a couple days, the oil then goes into the prcessor from a spicot that is mounted at the 10 gallon level. there is another spicot on the bottom for draining the crap that settles to the bottom.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
How are you getting the oil to the filter? Just sucking good oil off the top of a jug or pouring into a barrel filter?
Gravity fed to pump, then pump thru a 3-stage filter setup..(pics in album). I just got back from HD, so, gonna re-plum the left side of pump to incorporatethe "spray" drying effect.

Onboard, trucks' system has a fuel/water seperator filter, but if i can at all, eliminate most of the H2O, then gonna try it.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
I just looked at your album, assuming the black barrel is your heat and settle barrel and the blue is your final after filter barrel. One thing I see is your suction line on the black barrel is so low, I would move it up atleast 6" from the bottom, same with the blue.

What are you bringing the oil home in? I get all mine in 5 gallon cubies right from the bar, they clean the fryers hot then dump the oil so by the time it gets to me its already settled somewhat, I can clearly see the good oil on top, some water/fat on the bottom. I just suck the good oil off the top and leave the rest in the cubie. Looking at your setup you could easily add something to suck oil out of a barrel/cubie and pump it into the black barrel, just add a few more valves and T fittings.

I realy like your set-up in the truck box, looks very neat and clean. have you had any trouble with the water trap filter filling with water or just the crackel test?

Diesel Rod

Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rushmore X
You sound like you do more than we do. We filter though a paint filter for a 5 gallon bucket into a 55 gallon barrell. (see gallery) After settling for a couple days, the oil then goes into the prcessor from a spicot that is mounted at the 10 gallon level. there is another spicot on the bottom for draining the crap that settles to the bottom.
Here is my entire method. I get the oil in the 5 gallon Cubies right from the bar, sometimes 1, other times 2. They have already settle quite well because they put the oil in the cubie hot. I get them on a friday, I usually let them sit out in the sun for a week or 2 depending how busy I am. then I'll run the oil through my cream seperator just for kicks then it goes into a 60 gallon holding tank. after sitting in there for how ever long I pump it through a Golden Rod Fuel/Water filter only heating to 100º so it doesnt pump so hard, right into my truck. I also have a fuel/water filter with an electric pump on the truck.

The system is ever changing and hopefully by the end of summer I will have a 55 gallon clear solar powered settling tank on the roof of my WVO shed. 7 years ago I just settled and pumped into the truck through a similar filter. the cream seperator was a recent addition this winter, dont know if it does any good or not.

Diesel Rod

Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
I just looked at your album, assuming the black barrel is your heat and settle barrel and the blue is your final after filter barrel. One thing I see is your suction line on the black barrel is so low, I would move it up atleast 6" from the bottom, same with the blue.

I realy like your set-up in the truck box, looks very neat and clean. have you had any trouble with the water trap filter filling with water or just the crackel test?

Diesel Rod
Diesel Rod, forgot about this pic, but should cure the problem of pickup in black tank being looowww... Thanks man for the compliment. I set it up that way, for when smog time comes, its just a matter of unhooking a few things and disconnecting a couple of wires, then BAM, passes visual...

Crap, cant post pics, but its in album... i got a cone welded to bottom of black drum for crap and water settling...