Alberta Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Puddy

Red Deer swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 12:35 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red Deer swap

Anyone going this weekend? It looks good that I may be going, but darn, funds are limited! I am going with a friend who is looking to find a lead on an early Mustang for his retirement project.
Mark

Old 04-30-2003, 07:37 PM
mk
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red Deer swap

As I'm stuck working until midafternoon on sat, looks like I'll have to check it out on sunday. Last year, the eight hours I spent there was just barely enough time to see most of it. And, isn't it supposed to be bigger this year? How about you, Dennis?

mike

Old 04-30-2003, 08:14 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Red Deer swap

Sheesh, and I am going with someone who might not want to spend that kind of time there! Maybe I should go alone??? But then, I couldn't borrow money from him for that 'must have' part???!!!

Mark

Old 05-01-2003, 02:17 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Red Deer swap

Yep, I'll be there.

Since the buick got hit I don't want to take that. Plus, I found a Mint shape bumper & tailight near Edmonton I have to pickup for the Buick.
So. I'll be burning premium fuel this weekend.

Old 05-01-2003, 07:24 PM
mk
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red Deer swap

Mark, I'm the kind of guy that has to check every table and see all the parts. That's how I find stuff like the nos 'U' I picked up for my merc hood ($5!) and other Ford accessories. Besides, like an antique show, it's a history lesson and gets a guy lots of extra info. I even take a camera for those rare parts.(that I can't afford). You'll probably be able to get through quicker I might even be able to get down for part of sat afternoon if it's not too busy at work. Cross your fingers for the forecast snow so the farmers won't buy parts on sat

mike

Old 05-01-2003, 07:35 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Red Deer swap

Well, I like to spend hours looking at junk too, but I don't think my friend does, so I am not sure if I should bring him or not. (but I think he is doing the driving, so why complain? LOL)
I really hope it doesn't snow or rain... I take it the tables are set up outside?
It will be my first Red Deer swap... Been to Powerama before; how does this compare?
Wish it was mid summer, so I could have more money to take!
Mark

Old 05-01-2003, 10:54 PM
phat56
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Deer swap

Tables are all inside. There are three pavilions chocked full of stuff, and the parking lot has plenty to check out as well

Old 05-02-2003, 12:38 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Red Deer swap

I'll be at 340-0306 on saturday if coffee is on you mind.

I'm doing some stuff on my truck at my friends shop on Sat'day.
Sunday at the swap meet.

Old 05-02-2003, 09:55 AM
phat56
Senior User
Red Deer swap

I'll be "away" Sat., but I'm going to try to get there Sun. I don't really need anything right now, but there is sooo much stuff there that I'd be kicking myself for missing the opportunity to just brouse. I may run into you simply cuz my eyes won't be watching where I'm goin'!!! Later dudes

Old 05-03-2003, 09:02 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Red Deer swap

Well, just got back from the swap...
I must say, I was a little disappointed at the lack of 'good' Ford goodies... I guess I was just expecting more... Lotsa usual Mustang vendors and what-not, a couple 78-79 truck grilles, and tons of really old stuff from the 20's and 30's...
I might not have taken as much time as I could have, so hopefully you folks that are going could fill me in on the good stuff I must have missed... That one room was terribly dusty! I hope they spray the floor down in there to save those with breathing problems!
Still worth going to. I am pretty sure I will be there next year, as well!... with all my whining! lol
Mark

Old 05-04-2003, 08:32 PM
phat56
Senior User
Red Deer swap

I went on Sun. for a while, first thing in the morning. The dirt floor was wet, the dust was non-existant, and I over heard some vendors talking about the dust problem. It sounded like it was pretty bad. I don't recall it ever being a problem before and it won't be a problem from now on as some official announced over the PA that next year there won't be a dirt floor. Just my 2 bits worth here, but in my opinion a swap meet for auto related stuff should be exclusive to auto related stuff, and all those "collectible" articles that aren't should go away. Wait... then what would all the "Mary's" do while being a part of quality time?? But I have to admit there are some neat items to check out. Later

Old 05-05-2003, 01:11 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Red Deer swap

Heh heh, yeah, there was an awful lot of stuff not car-related... I wish they would keep that in a separate area... I still looked some over, but I don't like it 'mixed-in' with the car goodies!
You were lucky with the wet floors... It was terrible in there on Sat. morning and all day! I was chokin' on the stuff, and could barely stand to be in there... But hey, die-hards gotta put up with dust, mosquitos, flies, bees, wild animals, dogs, snakes etc. when checkin' out cars and parts, right? LOL
Did ya come away empty-handed too?
There were some Cloyes timing sets and composite gears in one place, and a factory Ford timing set, but I think it was post-'71...
The same guy had tons of NOS ball joints for various years, too, and I found a pair of Ford truck shock absorbers for $40/pair, but I didn't take....

Mark

Old 05-05-2003, 07:08 PM
phat56
Senior User
Red Deer swap

Saw lots of stuff I could have used, like shocks, but didn't have measurements or size whatever. I figure that when I need them I be able to get them, one way or another. Tail lights for my '65 are a good example - the ones I have are slightly cracked, but useable, and I'm pretty sure that there isn't a back-up light in the lens, so why buy something if your not sure. There's always next year, and let me tell you, a year ain't that long anymore!! Later Bill

Old 05-06-2003, 09:36 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Red Deer swap

Hey Dennis, haven't heard from ya...
Did you make it to the meet?
We drove through a bit of a storm on the way home Sat., but it wasn't icy or anything, just low visibility.
Mark

Old 05-06-2003, 11:51 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Red Deer swap

Yep, I got there Sunday 11:00 - 3:00 before continuing on to Tofield.

I picked up 2 complete sets of engine gaskets for a 429/460 for
$3.00
a set of chrome Window shades for a Ranger (Free)
A 80's truck manual for $3.00
An brand new Flow type coolant heater for a $1.50
Some F-series truck literature for a $1.00
Some dealer plates for $0.25 each
2 NOS Ford U-Joints for my friends T-bird $1.00

Discussed FTE with about 20 people
And it was confirmed while there that I will be in a Canadian Calendar for Dec 2004

Not a bad day.

Quick Reply: Red Deer swap