1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-24-2014, 03:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Best Wax for MY New Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 AM
bluefin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Wax for MY New Truck?

I have a good metal polish.
Just wondering what works best to protect the new paint.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:17 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This is what I used with great results. Going to do it again when it warms up.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10286569

Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Scooter70
Senior User
Wizards out of Mn. I used to sell polish this is the best stuff I have ever used. I have been thinking of becoming a dealer.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I swear by Liquid Glass. I can get it at advance auto locally, about $28 dollars for the can. It's got to be good it has a hazmat health hazard logo on the side

Old 03-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Mequiars or Mothers carnuba wax depending on which one is on sale. Both work great and help keep crap from sticking to your paint, plus they hold up quite well and don't leave swirlies either.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
I am a fan of Collinite. Hopefully going to do it this weekend for the first time on this truck.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 PM
bluefin
Freshman User
Thanks.
A lot of great information! Especially the post of the quality and differences.
I am thinking of going with the two or three coats. A days work, but if it will protect the expensive paint job on the truck I guess it's a good investment.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:12 AM
firefighter15
5th Wheeling
Being a car detailer I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major name brand waxes. Its like the normal ford or chevy is better yata yata yata. Like its been said already, give the thing a really good wash (with a chamois hand mitt or NEW brush), give it a good light cut clay barring, and then wax it to death. You can't go wrong and i don't think it hurts to use a good spray detailer with wax once a week to keep her purdy!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 AM
RickBetterley
Senior User
My truck lives outdoors and takes a lot of time to wax, so I want protection that looks good and lasts. I use Klasse all-in-one, which does both.
On my cars, Klasse with a top coat of p21s looks really nice but the p21s evaporates in about 2months.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Here's another tip I use: we have several cars in our family and I like to keep them all looking sharp, but waxing all of them all the time would be mean I'm always waxing something. So to keep them up without working my butt off every Sunday, I wash the entire vehicle and wax just one or two panels. Sounds goofy, but it only takes a minute after you dry it and you can (for example) do the hood, grille and bumper this week, the passengers fender and door next week and work your way around the vehicle each successive week. That way the water always beads up on the whole vehicle because it's basically getting waxed once a month and you aren't burned out from being a detail fanatic. It works for me with my truck, my '88 GT and my wife's Fusion, all of which always look great, despite the Mustang and the Fusion being dark colors.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Over the years I have used it all from turtle wax to cheap walmart wax. For many years all I used was Zymol bees wax which is wonderful stuff! However for the last couple years I have been using NXT by meguiars and have been very pleased! Goes on and comes off easy and no streaks and seems to last a good long time.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 AM
V10ZILLA
Senior User
Question for you guys. I live in Southern California. Dont have salt on the road nor do we get snow. I have to drive to the snow to see it. All we get is HOT HOT weather in the late spring and summer. We get the (what I call) normal California rain fall in the winter. ( which by the way we are 6 inch's lower this season). I was thinking about the longevity of the paint do to the summer heat. My truck stays outside.

I have this deal from the dealer I got when I purchased the truck. Every six months or 7500 miles( In my case its every six months). I get a free LOF and exterior paint protection (clear coat) free. Is this enough or should I wax it in between as well.

I also heard that you have to very careful when choosing a wax if you have a clearcoat . I do not want to mess up the paint finish.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
It's actually the opposite, in my opinion. The introduction of basecoat/clearcoat paint systems has helped cars look great for years and is as close to maintenance-free as paint gets. Ask anyone who's tried to maintain and preserve a single-stage paint job after a few years how they liked it. As for your situation, I think your dealer sold you some form of miracle wax, since I doubt very much they actually spray a new clear coat on your truck every six months. My Dad bought one with his new '01 Dodge and it didn't do a whole lot, if anything. My truck always looks better just using off-the-shelf products and elbow grease. Almost all current waxes and polishes (there is a difference) are fine for clear coat finishes, I just prefer Meguair's myself. If things are really neglected, I break out the buffer and hit it using 3M's Perfect It compound and a wool pad, then finish it by hand with Meguiars #7 and then Mequiar's carnuba.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:51 PM
V10ZILLA
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
It's actually the opposite, in my opinion. The introduction of basecoat/clearcoat paint systems has helped cars look great for years and is as close to maintenance-free as paint gets. Ask anyone who's tried to maintain and preserve a single-stage paint job after a few years how they liked it. As for your situation, I think your dealer sold you some form of miracle wax, since I doubt very much they actually spray a new clear coat on your truck every six months. My Dad bought one with his new '01 Dodge and it didn't do a whole lot, if anything. My truck always looks better just using off-the-shelf products and elbow grease. Almost all current waxes and polishes (there is a difference) are fine for clear coat finishes, I just prefer Meguair's myself. If things are really neglected, I break out the buffer and hit it using 3M's Perfect It compound and a wool pad, then finish it by hand with Meguiars #7 and then Mequiar's carnuba.
The miracle wax service is free. I even get to watch them spray it on.

If someone was going to pay for it they charge 140.00 to do the service.

The paper work that they gave me says clearcoat paint protection. This was a free service for every six months for the first 5 years that I own the truck. It is only good at their dealership. It did not cost me a thing.

If I lose my card then all bets are off. I have to present this card at the time of service.

Quick Reply: Best Wax for MY New Truck?