Newby...just bought a '60 F100

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Poncherello
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newby...just bought a '60 F100

Hello all-

I just bought my first classic Ford pickup. A '60 F100 SWB. It needs some work, but it runs & drives great & the body is pretty solid. I'd like to make a nice driver out of it & was wondering where I could find parts. To start, I'm looking for a windshield & right door glass. Also interested in a decent grille & some interor parts. Anybody out there have any good used parts? Maybe even new stuff so long as it's not gonna put me in the poor house. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:09 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 589 Likes on 529 Posts
Well, first of all welcome to FTE! Second, if you google 60 ford truck parts, you will come up with tons of hits rather than us typing out what they are! Different sellers have better prices on different items. You have to take your time and poke around to get the best deals. There is also a classified section here on the forum where parts are listed for sale, you might want to check that out as well!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Poncherello
New User
I tried the google approach last night & most of what I found was vendors like LMC Truck, etc. I also tried the classifieds section here, but it was too much to weed through all years & models of Ford trucks to find something specific & a search of the classifieds didn't yield many results. I thought I could bypass some of this by posting here, but I guess there's just no substitute for putting in the time & effort. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 PM
lwclark
Senior User
Sacramento Vintage Ford, LMC Truck, and Mac's Antique Auto Parts are my three catalogs. Blue Oval Truck Parts is another site. Finding used stuff is just a search engine thing (I use Bing. Google is evil.), or troll around old messages on this site.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Poncherello
New User
Originally Posted by lwclark
Sacramento Vintage Ford, LMC Truck, and Mac's Antique Auto Parts are my three catalogs. Blue Oval Truck Parts is another site. Finding used stuff is just a search engine thing (I use Bing. Google is evil.), or troll around old messages on this site.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 PM
lwclark
Senior User
Sure! Good luck with it.

One of my first purchases for my '60 was a windshield and door glass from LMC. Still haven't put them in as other projects on the truck have always moved to the front. Replace the seat, moved the gas tank, fixed the battery tray, replaced all the brake hydraulics... that's 15 months of work so far...

Old 03-23-2012, 10:00 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Old 03-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Poncherello
New User
Thanks again for the help! Mine is a standard cab & I'm having a the most trouble finding a lower grille (painted is fine). I visited all the sites you both mentioned with no success. I'm going to start searching the local bone yards this week.

A couple more questions if it's not too much trouble.....

As you can see in the pic, my truck had a quick re-spray before I bought it. Can you tell me, is the front bumper supposed to be white? Is the rear bumper supposed to be gray? What about the upper & lower grille sections...body color, white or gray? Also, the seat looks to be pieced together from 2 seats....the upper half (seat back) is black and the lower is a tan plaid color. I assume the lower came from a custom cab and the upper is the original. Is this correct? The guy before me started doing some restoration, but I'm not sure how much of it is correct for my truck. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncherello
Thanks again for the help! Mine is a standard cab & I'm having a the most trouble finding a lower grille (painted is fine). I visited all the sites you both mentioned with no success. I'm going to start searching the local bone yards this week.

A couple more questions if it's not too much trouble.....

As you can see in the pic, my truck had a quick re-spray before I bought it. Can you tell me, is the front bumper supposed to be white? Is the rear bumper supposed to be gray? What about the upper & lower grille sections...body color, white or gray? Also, the seat looks to be pieced together from 2 seats....the upper half (seat back) is black and the lower is a tan plaid color. I assume the lower came from a custom cab and the upper is the original. Is this correct? The guy before me started doing some restoration, but I'm not sure how much of it is correct for my truck. Thanks again for all your help.
On the non-custom cab the grill, both upper and lower were painted white originally and the front bumper was as well. Most rear bumpers were changed to an aftermarket style to make them more functional. If you look in my gallery, you can see the original rear bumper, it was only produced in 1960 and maybe 1959 I am not sure, so it is really hard to find.

The door glass and rear glass is just flat glass with safety film in it, The flat glass can be cut by any automobile glass place and is cheap. I think I paid less than $50 for both doors. I got my windshield at a local auto parts place, they ordered it.

I am not totally sure on the seat. You can likely get a replacement cover.

You may check Desert Valley Auto Parts for the grill. Google them.

Dennis Carpenter has very good restoration parts and an online catalog.

Welcome to FTE and good luck.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 AM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

If you are serious about this truck, you will want to get a shop manual. It will clue you in on a lot!

Make sure you check out the gallery section of the forum as well. There is a lot of info in picture form!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:54 AM
transam525
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Great looking truck! The Custom Cab option would have added the following:

-Striped woven nylon-saran upholstery with gray vinyl bolster and seat facings
-Two-tone instrument panel
-Chrome trimmed instrument cluster
-White steering wheel with chrome horn ring
-Foam rubber in seat cushion and back
-Two-tone door paint scheme
-Arm rest on left door
-Sound deadener on floor and rear cab panel and insulation on firewall
-Sun visor on right side
-Illuminated cigar-cigarette lighter
-Bright-metal grill and headlight assembly
-"Custom Cab" emblem on each door
-Matched locks on both doors

Your exterior color appears to be Skymist Blue. Since your truck does not have the custom cab option, the front grill area and bumper should be painted white and the body a single color. Your rear bumper is not Ford factory bumper for 1960. The factory rear bumper (if ordered), was much thinner and available in chrome or white (painted) only. It's likely your bumper was either a dealership or previous owner installation, typically found on trucks used for towing, as the original Ford bumper could not accept a trailer hitch (no provision for such). From the photos, your truck also features the bed-mounted spare tire carrier and large telescopic exterior mirror options.

Regarding the seat, the non-custom cab seats were nylon-rayon-saran with a plaid pattern covering nearly the entire horizontal and vertical sections. The bottom cushion sides and seat back top were a light gray vinyl.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Poncherello
New User
Excellent! I like the plaid seat portion better anyway, so that decision is easy. I think I'll try and keep everything as original as possible on the truck, but I'm still toying with the idea of some mods. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 03-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Poncherello
New User
I just bought a new camera & was playing around & added a bunch of pics to my gallery in case anyone is really bored & wants to offer up some more advice on what's original & what isn't ;^)

It turns out, the camera I bought is a lot nicer than my phone & the pics show my truck's flaws WAY too well. I'm a little embarrassed to let everyone see them, but it is what it is.

Thanks again, all!

T/A 535....I own a few birds myself...would like to see some pics of yours. I'd PM you, but I need another 19 posts before I'm allowed ;^)

Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 AM
transam525
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a copy of an original Ford ad depicting your upholstry. The seat in the upper left is the standard seat, with the seat on the right being that of the Custom Cab group.

And here are a few pictures of my 1978 SE Trans Am

Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Dustin,can you say where you're at?

I have a friend in Howz-E Medad.I usually Skype him every couple weeks.I worked briefly in KAF a few years back.The memory of the "poop-pond" still makes me nauseous.

Quick Reply: Newby...just bought a '60 F100