Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Truck wants me to change its oil 1100 miles early?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Truck wants me to change its oil 1100 miles early?

So, for the past few days my 2011 5.0L F-150 has been informing me everytime I start it up that it needs an oil change. (Via LCD 4.2in Screen)

So, this morning I went outside and checked my oil and according to Fords own literature in the owners manual my truck's oil level is acceptable, my tailpipes are not sooty at all...So I've pretty much ruled out that its burning oil...Next I checked under the truck on the driveway and there's not a single droplet of oil there and I've also checked some of the components under the truck around where the Oil Drain is...Again, no sign's of a leak, so i've pretty much ruled that out as well.

My question is why in the hell does my truck want to me to change the oil so early? I generally change my oil every 3,000 miles which may be a waste as I'm told these newer trucks can comfortably go 5,000 miles between oil changes but it makes me feel a little better to change it earlier rather than later, I've only 1900 miles in since my last oil change though that's whats racking my brain...And I do use quality oil 50/50 synthetic blend 5W-20 Motocraft (as specified by Ford).

The only thing I can think of that would have any effect on it what so ever is that back in December I suffered a broken leg and over the course of the past few months whilst I've been recovering my truck has not always been driven on a daily basis as it normally is. However it was still driven often, at least once every couple of days.

But anyway, If this is happend to anyone else or if anyone has an idea of what could be causing it to want an early oil change let me know.

Thank you.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you reset the OLM when you changed it in December?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
How often does the truck sit idling?

Do you have a heavy right foot?

Did you reset the Oil Monitor? 3,000 + 1,900 = about 5,000

Most likely the OLM needed reset. But I know idling alot and heavy right foot can tell the PCM the oil needs changed sooner

Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM
RyPow
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Did you reset the OLM when you changed it in December?
+1. Even if you had the oil changed at the dealer, they sometimes forget to reset the OLM.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The OLM is also based on time. Usually 6 months.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by msgtord
The OLM is also based on time. Usually 6 months.
The OLD OLM (09-10) were simply time and distance (whichever came first). The new IOLM (11+) one is different. It uses an algorithm to calculate remaining oil life.

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor Frequently Asked Questions

1) When should I change my oil?

Many 2010 model year and newer Ford vehicles are equipped with an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor (IOLM). The IOLM uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. The IOLM will indicate when the oil change service interval should be completed by displaying ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED in the message center.

The system requires you to reset the IOLM after an oil change. Missing a “reset” at an oil change will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.

2) How often do I need to change my oil?

You should perform an oil change when the instrument cluster message center displays ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED. This can be up to one year or 10,000 miles, depending on how you drive your vehicle. An oil change service must be completed within 14 days or 500 miles after the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED display appears in the message center. Depending on driving conditions, we expect oil change intervals to be approximately:

Up to 10,000 miles Normal commuting with highway driving
5,000 – 7,500 miles Trailer tow/high-load driving
3,000 – 5,000 miles Short-trip usage, extreme cold or hot temperatures

Actual mileage will depend on your specific driving conditions.

Under normal conditions a customer will get an OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message at up to one year or 10,000 miles from the previous oil change.

3) Do I still need to keep my receipts for my oil changes?

Yes, make sure that receipts for completed maintenance work are retained with the vehicle and confirmation of maintenance work is always entered in the Maintenance Scheduled Log. The log is in the Scheduled Maintenance Chapter of your Owner Guide. It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the scheduled maintenance is performed and that the materials used meet Ford engineering specifications. Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified will invalidate warranty coverage on parts affected by the lack of maintenance.

4) I have my oil changed every 5,000 miles; why should I change this interval?

You may continue to change your oil every 5,000 miles if you choose, but you may be changing the oil too often or not often enough. If the message center displays OIL CHANGE REQUIRED before 5,000 miles, you should change the oil as indicated. Remember to reset the system after an oil change. Missing a “reset” at an oil change will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.

Remember, the Ford Oil Monitor algorithm is implemented to extend your mileage between oil changes, reduce your operating costs and minimize environmental impact of waste oil disposal. Following the IOLM’s recommendation for oil changes should simplify decisions about oil change intervals, make it easier for customers to bundle multiple maintenance tasks during service visits and provide reassurance that long-term reliability of the vehicle is maintained with engine oil in good condition.

5) What if I forgot to reset the system?

The Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor does not use oil quality sensors – it is entirely software-based. As a result, the system requires you to reset it after an oil change, to indicate to the PCM that an oil change has occurred. Missing a “reset” at an oil change will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.

If your message center was prematurely reset, was not accurately reset at an oil change or was rendered inoperative, revert to a six month/5,000-mile oil service interval.

6) Should I stop checking my oil level since you have an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor?

Per the Owner Guide, we recommend you check your oil level each time you stop for fuel.

7) Why does my independent service facility send me a reminder to change the oil every 3,000 miles?

The 3,000-mile oil change interval dates back to the ’60s and ’70s, when engine oil technology was not as sophisticated as it is today. Modern engine oils, in normal operating conditions, do not deteriorate as rapidly, which would require the oil to be replaced in 3,000 miles. Simultaneously, significant improvements in engine technology have also reduced oil consumption. Together with the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor, we are confident that these improvements allow oil change intervals to be significantly increased without affecting engine reliability.

8) Should I use synthetic oil?

You can use a synthetic oil if you prefer. The Ford engines have been tested using the Motorcraft® synthetic blended oils. If you do use synthetic oil, it needs to meet the Ford specifications for motor oil and the specific oil weight as indicated in the Owner Guide. Ford still recommends performing the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM.

9) Most of my driving is in very cold climates, and my engine never warms up. Should I change oil more frequently?

Since the IOLM determines engine oil life based on actual driving conditions, you do not need to adjust oil change intervals based on climate or vehicle usage.

10) Most of my driving is in very hot climates. Should I change oil more frequently?

Since the IOLM determines engine oil life based on actual driving conditions, you do not need to adjust oil change intervals based on climate or vehicle usage.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:28 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost sounds like 3,000+ miles realy, not 1,100.
I agree, did you reset the OLM?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the recommendations above hit it and I will say that they've definitely made it a lot easier to reset the OLM these days. I think back to a Pontiac Grand Prix I had years ago. You had to cycle the key and push the accelerator to the floor a certain number of times in a certain amount of time to reset it. It was a real PITA.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:06 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You know...I feel like an idiot, but I have never reset the OLM on my truck. This is my first brand new vehicle and the first with an OLM system, so the thought never occured to me that it would need to be reset.

But I'm almost certian that's what it is now...The truck has 9,700 miles on it now and I've owned since June of 2011 so about 9 months now.

Anyway. Thank you all for the anwsers, and helping out a first timer with new cars.