6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

F250 CC SB fuel tank size... 26 gallons, really????

Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
F250 CC SB fuel tank size... 26 gallons, really????

Any one else on here concerned with having a 26 gallon fuel tank on the SB CC? I will be towing a 10K trailer and am struggling with only having a 26 gallon fuel tank from the factory. What were the Engineers that designed this thinking???? Have they never towed with one of these rigs? I am just out of an Excursion with a 44 gallon tank, so I have been spoiled!

How do people deal with this, I am considering the LB just to get the extra fuel capacity....
End of rant, but would like input.
Thanks.
Pat

Old 03-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Fin Addict
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to install Titan tanks 50 on mine....was considering the transferflow 50 but it is metal ....Titan tanks uses OEM type material hdxpe...what were the engineers thinking"?

Is sloshing fuel a issue for the titan oem replacement tank?

However I do not believe the miles to empty display will be correct...at least until a software patch is available. Was going to call dealership to install if they can adjust software. Otherwise I'll study Epic's awesome video and save a few $$$.

Last edited by Fin Addict; 03-12-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: MTE Calc
Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 AM
huntindog
Senior User
Agree that the tank is too small. GM had the same problem in SBs, but fixed it in 2011. The fact that aftermarket tanks can be had shows that it IS possible.

One thing to consider though....Aftermarket tanks are listed by Ford's diagnosis process as a "red flag" in a HPFP failure....

Old 03-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by huntindog
One thing to consider though....Aftermarket tanks are listed by Ford's diagnosis process as a "red flag" in a HPFP failure....
That's why I don't have one.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:04 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
After 280 miles I'm ready to stretch and pee anyway. Does not bother me.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 AM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't mind loosing the bed space, you can always put an auxiliary tank in. They make versions that are combined toolboxes and transfer tanks. A great idea if you were planning on putting a toolbox in the bed anyway. For anyone that drives where gas station are few and far between, an auxiliary tank borders on necessity.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
May want to consider the long bed so you get a larger factory tank.
My truck runs out of fuel before I am ready to stop.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fin Addict
I'm going to install Titan tanks 50 on mine....was considering the transferflow 50 but it is metal ....Titan tanks uses OEM type material hdxpe...what were the engineers thinking"?

Is sloshing fuel a issue for the titan oem replacement tank?

However I do not believe the miles to empty display will be correct...at least until a software patch is available. Was going to call dealership to install if they can adjust software. Otherwise I'll study Epic's awesome video and save a few $$$.
As one of the first adopter's of the 50 gallon Titan fuel tank, I can say that it is the best addition I have made to the truck. 800 miles or so of empty range and 500 miles or so towing sure makes choosing who I buy fuel from much easier.

I was also one of the lucky recipients of the HPFP failures. I can say first hand and with 100% certainty that of all the lame excuses and red herrings Ford threw out to obscure the real problem with the HPFP, the Titan tank was never mentioned. Rogue dealer number one knew it was there, as did Shepherds, who actually fixed the truck. The Ford FSE that eventually showed up also noted it's presence. Not one word was said about the Titan tank being a possible cause...it could be that the complete lack of any water in the fuel system was a contributor to such incredible insight...

The MTE reading is easily updated to match the 50 gallon capacity Titan tank. Any Ford dealer can use IDS to change the tank capacity in the trucks computer to 50 gallons. The MTE then reads correctly. My dealer did mine for free during an oil change visit. I have heard that some dealers charge upwards of $50.

The only problems I have seen to date regarding the Titan tanks have been caused by sloppy installation procedures. If the tank is installed according to Titan's excellent instructions, you will not have any issues. My tank took about 2 hours to install.

Regards

Old 03-12-2012, 12:56 PM
MKRemi
Junior User
This is a concern of mine too (my newly arrived truck is sitting on the dealer's lot until the spouse and I can get the ridiculous chunk of time needed to do the paperwork...maybe two little kids with nasty coughs will speed things up?).

The Titan tank sounds like a good option. Is it compatible with skid plates and whatnots on the FX4? For camper guys, any interference with Torklift tiedowns?

Heh heh. I don't know what I'm doing, but I can't rely on pee breaks to buy fuel since avoiding truck stop pee breaks is my excuse for getting a camper.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM
FishingNut
Elder User
Originally Posted by MKRemi
This is a concern of mine too (my newly arrived truck is sitting on the dealer's lot until the spouse and I can get the ridiculous chunk of time needed to do the paperwork...maybe two little kids with nasty coughs will speed things up?).

The Titan tank sounds like a good option. Is it compatible with skid plates and whatnots on the FX4? For camper guys, any interference with Torklift tiedowns?

Heh heh. I don't know what I'm doing, but I can't rely on pee breaks to buy fuel since avoiding truck stop pee breaks is my excuse for getting a camper.
You can buy a shield for it for offroading if that is what you meant. If not someone else who has one on an FX4 will have to chime in.

Ford Large Capacity Diesel Fuel Tanks for Pickup Trucks ~ TITAN Diesel Fuel Tanks: The Leader in Aftermarket Fuel Tanks

Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
After 280 miles I'm ready to stretch and pee anyway. Does not bother me.
Me too. After 280 miles I need spank the kids, clean the bald eagles out of my grill, make my wife run into the store to get me another 12 pack of beer and replace my HPFP.

Seriously, after 4 hours I am actually ready for a break too. Less time if my wife sees a shopping mall.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:27 PM
MKRemi
Junior User
I was just wondering if I'd need to remove skidplates to install it. I don't think my driving would endanger the tank, or at least I like to think not.

Probably not a big deal either way, now that I think about it, though for the price I guess the tank shield wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
One of the main reasons i like the 8' box is the larger factory tank. In addition to a longer wheelbase which translates into added stability for towing. Oh and I have a WeatherGuard chest in the bed which takes up 18". So with the box in the back I still have a 6.5 box, better towing, more fuel. Oh and looks waaaay better

Old 03-12-2012, 06:16 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Well, here is what I think I will be picking up on Saturday:
2012 F250, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7, Lariat, Golden Bronze Clearcoat, Adobe interior, LT 275/70R18E BSW All Terrain, 3.55 ELD, FX4, Chrome Tubular Cab Steps, Engine Block Heater, Camper Package, Upfitter Switches, Extra Heavy Duty Alternator and Leather 40/Console/40 seat.

Should be a nice rig for towing our 30' trailer with a 10K max rating.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
not bad...except for the gimp, i mean short..bed and weak.. i mean single alternator

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F250 CC SB fuel tank size... 26 gallons, really????