Kentucky Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SideWinder4.9l

Tornado Clean-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Tornado Clean-up

Today was an extremely productive day up at my parents house/farm. We had a lot of volunteers show up today. Bishop Brossart High School had a bus load of kids, as well as a few parents show up to walk the fields and clean up all the wood and tin. There were a few guys from another church that showed up with chainsaws and we sent them into the woods along the fence lines. It would have taken weeks for us to accomplish what a 100 or so helpers did today! We've still got a long way to go, but it looks like there is hope that we can put it back together. The local churches, fire dept, Salvation Army, and Red Cross were making their presence known.

This has hit my folks hard. The house has minimal damage thank God. But the barns were totally destroyed. We'll need to build a lot of new fence too, something my Dad certainly is not looking forward to doing. What I told him would be best is that we get someone up there with a little bulldozer and just take out the old fence and we could stretch some new fence up pretty easy with the old gone. I'll keep you guys posted with our progress.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 PM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am sorry to hear about this. Especially this time of year on a farm like there not enough of work to prepare for.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I was in Eastern Ky yesterday. I went through Salyersville, that's in Wes' ares. It got hit bad. Up near Paintsville got hit too. I heard Inez got wiped out as well as West Liberty. I was hoping to drive up through West Liberty on my way home, but I had to go up towards Ashland for a job last night. I saw some pictures of West Liberty the other day. It looked real bad.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Things are coming along. We got some new fence put up this week. Stretched high tinsel wire and put electric in it. Wow! Wish I knew about that as a kid!!! Still got plenty of trees to cut up, but that will happen in time. Still have a barn to finish what the tornado started to do with it. Then we need to look at building a new building. I will have to make a few more trips to the scrap yard. It takes a while to get a load of sheet metal on a trailer and to have it weight something!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
I was in Eastern Ky yesterday. I went through Salyersville, that's in Wes' ares. It got hit bad. Up near Paintsville got hit too. I heard Inez got wiped out as well as West Liberty. I was hoping to drive up through West Liberty on my way home, but I had to go up towards Ashland for a job last night. I saw some pictures of West Liberty the other day. It looked real bad.
I'm sincerely glad to hear that you, and your folks are safe, John...

And yes, town was hit HARD....

And West Liberty, is basically as if WWIII went off in city limits....

If you have Facebook, my gf has a ton of pictures of town...She was in the tornado in West Liberty....Came away with nothing but hail damge and a flat tire to her car....No bodily injury...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Glad to hear she wasn't hurt. Everything else can be replaced. I heard that West Liberty actually got hit 2 days before too. Is that correct? I was planning on going home that way, but I got a call in up in Catlettsburg, so I just went up 23. BTW, I saw 3 places on 23 where tornadoes crossed. My understanding also is that Inez in Martin County got hit bad too. I need to ask my brother about that. He was up there yesterday.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Glad to hear she wasn't hurt. Everything else can be replaced. I heard that West Liberty actually got hit 2 days before too. Is that correct? I was planning on going home that way, but I got a call in up in Catlettsburg, so I just went up 23. BTW, I saw 3 places on 23 where tornadoes crossed. My understanding also is that Inez in Martin County got hit bad too. I need to ask my brother about that. He was up there yesterday.
Yes, West Liberty was hit hard, 2 times...

The first time, was out at Woodsbend....My gf's friend she went to HS with, and her family lost EVERYTHING...

And then the second time, it hit main parts of town...

My cousin lives in the center of town, and they lost their home and 18-wheeler....