Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

HD Payload Package and Max Tow Package

Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM
RyPow
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD Payload Package and Max Tow Package

I've noticed some discussion lately regarding the combination of the HD Payload Package and the Max Tow Package. Let's get a few things straight with this combination:

The HD Payload Package and Max Tow Package BOTH include the following:
- Select-Shift Transmission (since the HD package automatically includes the Trailer Towing package, at least in Canada it does)
- Class IV hitch
- 7-pin wiring harness
- Super Engine Cooling
- Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler

The 8200lb GVWR rating with the HD payload package obviously overrides the 7700lb rating with the Max Tow package.

Therefore, assuming that the engine and transmission cooling improvements are the same in both packages, ordering the EcoBoost with Max Tow Package on top of the HD Payload Package only technically adds (in addition to the EB engine):

Telescopic trailer tow mirrors
Upgraded rear bumper
Possibly a different Class IV hitch to accommodate the over-10,000lb towing capacity
Trailer brake controller

I just thought I'd bring this up since there is a lot of redundancy when combining the two packages. There is no change in suspension or driveline by adding the Max Tow package to the HD payload, since the HD already has a higher GVWR.

This is more for interest's sake, since ordering the EB with the HD payload auomatically includes Max Tow anyway.

I also cannot believe how wildly different the Build & Price interfaces are between the USA and Canadian Ford websites. Seems like they were designed completely separate from each other.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:58 AM
star gazer
Junior User
When I built a 5.0 with the HD Payload, it did come with tow package, but I had to add the brake controller, and it only comes with the smaller mirrors.

At least that is how it worked for me.

Dean

Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
RyPow
Junior User
Originally Posted by star gazer
When I built a 5.0 with the HD Payload, it did come with tow package, but I had to add the brake controller, and it only comes with the smaller mirrors.

At least that is how it worked for me.

Dean
Yes, I had to do the same with my 5.0 HD. For some reason I could also factory-order the telescopic mirrors with 5.0 & regular trailer tow since I'm in Canada. Both items are included in the Max Tow package when you get the EB.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 PM
cgartly
Senior User
I wish they would fix the build and price on ford.ca It will not let you select the EB with the HD package. Apparently it is actually available in Canada.

I should've pestered my salesman more to dig into it and not accepted the "if it won't let you build it its not compatible".

As a result my ordered pickup is just a couple of days away from me and is missing one package I would've liked to have.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 PM
cgartly
Senior User
Did you pickup your truck yet Rypow?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could insist on a re-order with the options you want since it's not equipped the way you wanted it. That's what I would do. I would insist that is the only way they'd keep my business. No re-order, no sale.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 PM
star gazer
Junior User
Did you select the 3.73 limted slip rear end?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Yes, there are redundancies but, the additional 500 lbs in payload is big.

When I had my EB test drive last February, the King Ranch that Ford sent had the large tow mirrors. I didn't like them and I don't like how they look. Functional? No doubt.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 PM
JeffHann74
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went in to build mine again. When I start with a EB Screw 4x4 with a 3:73 LS it automatically selected HD Payload and Max Tow.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:04 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tseekins
Yes, there are redundancies but, the additional 500 lbs in payload is big.

When I had my EB test drive last February, the King Ranch that Ford sent had the large tow mirrors. I didn't like them and I don't like how they look. Functional? No doubt.
Yeah, I agree. I also would prefer the smaller mirrors for everyday driving. But these elephant ears are definitely functional. I see everything behind and around me, LOL. And when camping season starts, I know I'll love to hook up, pull out the mirrors and start driving. The clamp on mirrors that I used in the past are a pain in the behind, and the vibrations made them nearly useless.
It would be ideal if the mirrors could be swapped with a pull or something ...

And I agree, there is a lot of overlap between HD payload and max tow. Interestingly, I think I still paid the full price for both. But I needed and wanted them, and with the rebates the bottom line wasn't all that bad, so it's all good.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:24 PM
cgartly
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greg B
You could insist on a re-order with the options you want since it's not equipped the way you wanted it. That's what I would do. I would insist that is the only way they'd keep my business. No re-order, no sale.
If I was more patient that's exactly what I would do but as it stands now I ordered Jan 17th and my truck is supposed to arrive any day now. I just can't wait to order another one.

I would've really liked the max tow but in reality I probably don't "need" it. I will be using the truck for work and it will have a fiberglass canopy with a ladder rack and fiberglass ladders along with tools. I'm sure I will be within the payload of the maxtow (7700 lbs) but would've been nice to have a bit beefier suspension etc. I would also have rather had 17" tires vs 18".

I will occasionally tow and older 26' travel trailer that weighs about 7000 lbs, hopefully with the canopy on (all tools unloaded) and a weight distributing hitch I am still well within the payload but will be making a trip to the scale to make sure.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cgartly
If I was more patient that's exactly what I would do but as it stands now I ordered Jan 17th and my truck is supposed to arrive any day now. I just can't wait to order another one.

I would've really liked the max tow but in reality I probably don't "need" it. I will be using the truck for work and it will have a fiberglass canopy with a ladder rack and fiberglass ladders along with tools. I'm sure I will be within the payload of the maxtow (7700 lbs) but would've been nice to have a bit beefier suspension etc. I would also have rather had 17" tires vs 18".

I will occasionally tow and older 26' travel trailer that weighs about 7000 lbs, hopefully with the canopy on (all tools unloaded) and a weight distributing hitch I am still well within the payload but will be making a trip to the scale to make sure.
Now I am confused. Are you getting the max tow, but would have preferred the HD payload? It does sound like you could use it.
I think I heard that in Canada, with the HD payload package you can add max tow at no extra cost. So in the end, the HD payload package would not cost you much. I'd think hard about this one, it may be worth the wait.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Flixden, it may be well worth the wait. You can always get some beefier rear springs or have a spring shop add some leafs. With a 7000 lb. travel trailer on the hitch, the heavier springs are a necessity in my opinion. That's 700-1100 lbs. of weight on the hitch. Even with max tow, it'll probably squat more than I'd like for good handling and stability.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 AM
cgartly
Senior User
I ordered a 2012 F-150 4x4 157" WB EB SCREW with the following packages:

Lariat Chrome
Max Tow
Off Road (3.73's)

From what I can tell on the Lariat the tow mirrors are not included in the max tow package. Under standard feature for the Lariat it lists "Mirrors - Power, heated sideview with memory, integrated turn signal indicators, driver's side auto-dimming feature and body-colour mirror caps".

Under Max Tow it lists "Includes Class IV trailer hitch receiver, 7-pin wiring harness, upgraded radiator, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, trailer brake controller, and upgraded rear bumper (restrictions apply)" No mention of mirrors at all.

When doing a build and price with all of the above packages selected there is still an option to select the "Mirrors - Manual trailer tow blah blah".

Maybe the XLT is different?

I did order a set of airbags for my F-150 so that I can keep it level and do use a weight distributing hitch.

The previous tow vehicle was a 2005 Chev 1500HD 6.0L crew cab 4x4, not sure what the payload is on that but it handled the trailer no problem. I know the GVWR was 8600 though vs the 7700 of my F-150 the way I ordered it.

My payload according to the brochure I have is 1,840 lb's.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:50 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cgartly
I ordered a 2012 F-150 4x4 157" WB EB SCREW with the following packages:

Lariat Chrome
Max Tow
Off Road (3.73's)

From what I can tell on the Lariat the tow mirrors are not included in the max tow package. Under standard feature for the Lariat it lists "Mirrors - Power, heated sideview with memory, integrated turn signal indicators, driver's side auto-dimming feature and body-colour mirror caps".

Under Max Tow it lists "Includes Class IV trailer hitch receiver, 7-pin wiring harness, upgraded radiator, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, trailer brake controller, and upgraded rear bumper (restrictions apply)" No mention of mirrors at all.

When doing a build and price with all of the above packages selected there is still an option to select the "Mirrors - Manual trailer tow blah blah".

Maybe the XLT is different?

I did order a set of airbags for my F-150 so that I can keep it level and do use a weight distributing hitch.

The previous tow vehicle was a 2005 Chev 1500HD 6.0L crew cab 4x4, not sure what the payload is on that but it handled the trailer no problem. I know the GVWR was 8600 though vs the 7700 of my F-150 the way I ordered it.

My payload according to the brochure I have is 1,840 lb's.
Most likely, your payload will be significantly less from that listed in the brochure, as you'll need to subtract all options.
If you need air bags for a bumper pull trailer, then you are most likely loading it up too much. The WDH should be able to do the job. WDH & air bags can have some weird effects when combined, you should not need the air bags.

It really does sound to me like you want the HD payload package. I would wait if I were you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD Payload Package and Max Tow Package