1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48 ford f5 coe

Old 03-04-2012, 08:52 AM
dghill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 48 ford f5 coe

i have recently bought a coe. i have not taken any pictures yet but it can be seen at classictruckcentral.com click on ford then 49. it will be found under sold nd. i am a newbie to this site i will need help on finding parts for it. at this time i need a ps running board , battery box, and access panel for ds door. i have located a good roof in nd but would like to find one closer to nc. thanks for any help. don

Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the obsession , Let's see some pitchers please(LOTS of PITCHERS)
and tell us were your from .

Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM
dghill
New User
Smile

i live in the small town of franklinville nc. the pics can be seen on classictruckcentral.com under ford 49 sold nd. i had the shipped from nd to nc in feb.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 755 Likes on 369 Posts
Welcome to FTE!
Is this the one?

Here is a link to this truck. If it's not this one, I can edit my post to remove the images so we don't confuse it with yours.
ClassicTruckCentral.com | Classic Trucks For Sale | 1949 Ford F-6 coe Truck For Sale

I look forward to seeing your progress, these COE's are growing on me more and more every time I see one.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
I'll add my welcome, glad to have you hanging around. You went a long way to find it, from NC to ND. It's a fine looking COE. Too bad about the roof, but like you said it can be replaced. I'd guess that a pickup roof would be the same as the COE but will defer to the guys that have had their hands on both to say for certain.

What are you plans for the truck? Is it gonna stay reasonably stock, or find it's way onto a modern chassis like so many do? If it's to be a stocker you'll want to look at wheel replacements. The stock wheels on just about all the trucks of the era are the killer two piecers. You might do a Google search for the terms "widow maker" and "Firestone RH-5°". Good replacement options do exist.

Last, you might go into your UserCP box and add your location to your profile. It'll help guys know whether they are close enough to offer help, parts, etc.

Joe - sorry, we were typing on top of each other. Stu

Attached Images     
Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 AM
dghill
New User
still up in the air about what to do with it. there many routes to take.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:17 PM
383lightning
Senior User
looks like a fun project. National parts depot and LMC truck have a lot of repro parts for our trucks. here is a link to my 48 coe
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-ford-coe.html

welcome!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:29 PM
fordtreexr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dghill
i have recently bought a coe. i have not taken any pictures yet but it can be seen at classictruckcentral.com click on ford then 49. it will be found under sold nd. i am a newbie to this site i will need help on finding parts for it. at this time i need a ps running board , battery box, and access panel for ds door. i have located a good roof in nd but would like to find one closer to nc. thanks for any help. don
Welcome to a fantastic resource! I joined only a month or so ago and already have lots of ideas for my 49 F6 grain truck. I've been cleaning the good earth off the truck and degreasing and such. It's been a nice way to get a feel for what to do with it. Found little problems/things that need attention, ect. Just look at it awhile and look at what others have done. Enjoy!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:46 PM
dghill
New User
nice looking truck. did you just buy it? it looks like one i have seen for sell.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 PM
dghill
New User
Originally Posted by fordtreexr
Welcome to a fantastic resource! I joined only a month or so ago and already have lots of ideas for my 49 F6 grain truck. I've been cleaning the good earth off the truck and degreasing and such. It's been a nice way to get a feel for what to do with it. Found little problems/things that need attention, ect. Just look at it awhile and look at what others have done. Enjoy!
thanks for the welcome. till i get things apart not 100% which way it will go.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:14 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The COE looks solid and worthy of whatever build you choose.

The cab on the COE is the same as on conventional cabs except for the front lower section where it curves. Finding COE specific parts, like running boards, battery box, and access panel for the door could be difficult, but still possible.

I'm in California and have a roof section from a 51/52, which is the same except for the rear glass. You pobably would section it at the rear seam (before the drop down to the glass) anyway. I also have a few headlight buckets.

Email me at modelking2000 at hotmail dot com if you're interested and I'll send you more photos.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Jolly Roger
Junior User
Welcome from Canada! Just my opinion but if you gotta replace the roof coe's look killer chopped and dropped!!! Good luck with the project, I've always wanted a coe!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:33 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to another tarheeler! If the roof is as solid as the rest of the cab appears, I'd straighten it rather than replace it, would be easier and and get around a lot of potential perils. If you need someone to fix it (or replace/chop it) for you, let me know. See my new topic "off topic darkside values" for a link to pix of same era COE (Chevy sorry) that just sold at auction for big bucks.
There are several nice bonus built F350 COEs on here done different ways.
I went to NM to get a rust free truck, but I was able to drive mine back to NC. It's well worth spending the extra money for as solid a starter as possible in the long run.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:42 AM
383lightning
Senior User
Originally Posted by dghill
nice looking truck. did you just buy it? it looks like one i have seen for sell.
I just bought it.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 PM
dghill
New User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Welcome to another tarheeler! If the roof is as solid as the rest of the cab appears, I'd straighten it rather than replace it, would be easier and and get around a lot of potential perils. If you need someone to fix it (or replace/chop it) for you, let me know. See my new topic "off topic darkside values" for a link to pix of same era COE (Chevy sorry) that just sold at auction for big bucks.
There are several nice bonus built F350 COEs on here done different ways.
I went to NM to get a rust free truck, but I was able to drive mine back to NC. It's well worth spending the extra money for as solid a starter as possible in the long run.
the dent in the roof is far worse than the pics show. water has been running into the a pillar and has rotted it out. the paint was still on the pillar i just pushed on it and it is soft. the header for the visor is also mostly gone thats the reason for another roof. i work in a restoration shop part time so its not a problem. if you come by any of this parts let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 48 ford f5 coe