Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Heated Seat upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM
japaleno
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heated Seat upgrade

I have an '01 F250 CC, Platinum Edition, VIN 1FTNW21F11EC53447,apparently even this didn't come with heated seats, power yes, heated no. This is my first vehicle with leather seats, now I know why they make heaters for them!
Thinking I could just buy the needed items, like the seat wire harness, the switch, the heater elements, the heater control module, etc...... plug and play, right? wrong.... The main issue is the connection between the harness and the heater control module. The harness is a 12 pin connector and the module is a 10 pin connector I know/understand the connection between the truck and the wire harness doesn't match (4pin to 8pin) but in the scheme of things, no big deal.

The wire harness has a p/n of 1C3Z-14A699-DA
The module is YL14-14C724-AA (I think that's the engineering #, but is still correct).
I've taken both of these to my local dealership and they have told me 'yep, they're right', but still don't understand why they don't plug into each other. When I asked what they would do if I brought the truck in to have them do this, they said.... ummmm we'd probably 'hard-wire' it .... Yeah.. I haven't been back there.....

I've spoke to Ed several times and he even put an inquire into FMC, but said he couldn't get any information back.

First question.. These are the correct P/N's? If so, why don't they work??? I understand that FMC doesn't like to help too much with modifying things. But if the truck had heated seats and I needed to replace these two parts for whatever reason, they should still work with each other???? Am I making any sense at all?? The harness has connectors for the motors (2ea) the heating elements (2ea) and the heater switch, they all match up and connect.

I hate like heck to pitch everything and go with aftermarket seeing as how I have several hundred $$$ invested already. I just wanted to have the OEM look. Yeah, hind-sight I would have went with aftermarket.

I have searched the threads, but haven't found anyone having a similar issue. If I've overlooked a post, please let me know.

Please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks all

Old 02-22-2012, 10:48 AM
japaleno
Junior User

Oh yeah, sorta new, so if I've put this in the wrong forum, sorry.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Seat Heater for Cars and Trucks from HeatedSeatKits.com

I've been running the cheap ones for the last few years and absolutely love them. If you don't have hog ring pliers or hog rings, spring the extra few dollars for the install kit. You can spend a little more and get the larger pad, but the regular one works just fine for me.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 PM
bluescrew
Elder User
i want this kit! so nice!! heated seats would be nice, dead of winter at quarter to 6!!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 PM
japaleno
Junior User

Originally Posted by japaleno
I have an '01 F250 CC, Platinum Edition, VIN 1FTNW21F11EC53447,apparently even this didn't come with heated seats, power yes, heated no. This is my first vehicle with leather seats, now I know why they make heaters for them!
Thinking I could just buy the needed items, like the seat wire harness, the switch, the heater elements, the heater control module, etc...... plug and play, right? wrong.... The main issue is the connection between the harness and the heater control module. The harness is a 12 pin connector and the module is a 10 pin connector I know/understand the connection between the truck and the wire harness doesn't match (4pin to 8pin) but in the scheme of things, no big deal.

The wire harness has a p/n of 1C3Z-14A699-DA
The module is YL14-14C724-AA (I think that's the engineering #, but is still correct).
I've taken both of these to my local dealership and they have told me 'yep, they're right', but still don't understand why they don't plug into each other. When I asked what they would do if I brought the truck in to have them do this, they said.... ummmm we'd probably 'hard-wire' it .... Yeah.. I haven't been back there.....

I've spoke to Ed several times and he even put an inquire into FMC, but said he couldn't get any information back.

First question.. These are the correct P/N's? If so, why don't they work??? I understand that FMC doesn't like to help too much with modifying things. But if the truck had heated seats and I needed to replace these two parts for whatever reason, they should still work with each other???? Am I making any sense at all?? The harness has connectors for the motors (2ea) the heating elements (2ea) and the heater switch, they all match up and connect.

I hate like heck to pitch everything and go with aftermarket seeing as how I have several hundred $$$ invested already. I just wanted to have the OEM look. Yeah, hind-sight I would have went with aftermarket.

I have searched the threads, but haven't found anyone having a similar issue. If I've overlooked a post, please let me know.

Please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks all

Any other help besides buy aftermarket ones? Like I said, I've got a few hundred invested so far with the heater switch, heater elements, wire harness, heater control module and the new plastic cover on the side of the seat (to hold the new switch). Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
If you're really wanting the factory stuff, check with Tousley Ford. They should be able to help you out and treat you right on the pricing. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...discounts.html

Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am looking to do this myself and put the switches in my 650 dash. I will probably go with heatedseats.com

Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
I have an early 99 Lariat that had power leather driver and manual leather passenger with no heat in either. I found a set of real nice seats out of 2006 or 2007 crew cab that way they didnt have the seat belts bult into the seats and crew cab had heated and powered on both seats. Best part is I got them for 200 bucks and they look like new! It was a direct swap into my pickup, the color is not right, but it is close enough for me. I had to add three wires to get it all hooked up but I love it.

I have the factory service manual for these trucks if there is anything I could look up that would help let me know.

I can tell you the power only seats have a 4 wire plug on the driver side and only uses 3 wires as I recal. The heated/power seat has an 8 wire plug that only uses 6 wires. When I bought my seats the salvage yard cut 6 inches off the other side of the harness so I had the pickup end too so I could splice into my pickup wiring and with the help of the wire schematic it was no problem. The passenger side has a 4 wire plug as well and only uses three wires that run over to the driver side connector.

Jeff

Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry I cannot help the OP but for what it's worth for others looking to do this another aftermarket kit is available from RockAuto and cheaper than the one Chris posted. I put this in my wifes car and she loves it. RockAuto Parts Catalog

Not sure how to link off their site apparently. It is under extras; body interior; seats

Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts
Good info guys!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 AM
japaleno
Junior User

Originally Posted by F350-6
If you're really wanting the factory stuff, check with Tousley Ford. They should be able to help you out and treat you right on the pricing. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...discounts.html
Thanks, I called this morning, but all they could tell me was that the two p/n's are 'correct' Even though I have both parts and they don't plug into each other. Other than that, they said "I don't know what to tell you."...........

Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Did you ask them if they had a diagram they can email you showing the different parts? Maybe there's a splice connector or something that you're missing.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
japaleno
Junior User

Did you ask them if they had a diagram they can email you showing the different parts? Maybe there's a splice connector or something that you're missing.
They said they don't show any jumpers or connectors...... not sure what my next step is

Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Scan through this and see if it is any help. I'll look for a better diagram, but I hate trying to find diagrams that are useful on what I have.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
heated seats.pdf (165.4 KB, 225 views)
Old 03-04-2012, 04:32 PM
japaleno
Junior User

Scan through this and see if it is any help. I'll look for a better diagram, but I hate trying to find diagrams that are useful on what I have.
Thanks, I have the wiring book. I didn't have the troubleshooting part you gave me though. Thanks! I bought the two connectors that were different and basically re-wired the harness. I THINK I did it correctly, all the power seat movements work correctly, but still no heat. Anyone know of a way to test/check/troubleshoot the individual parts (Heated Seat Switch, Heated Seat Module, Seat Back Heater/Temperature Sensor) other than the info. that Chris posted? Or maybe a more detailed schematic of these parts?

When I hook everything up and press the heated seat switch, the yellow/amber LED flashes for a half sec. then nothing..... Is this switch latching? I've even tried to hold the button in for a few mins. but didn't feel any heat. It only happens once and I have to unhook the Heated Seat Module and plug it back in again, then it will do it again.. only flash for a sec. then nothing.

If anyone is taking their heated seats out for any reason and wouldn't mind taking some pics. of the connectors, that might help verify I've got things right. Thanks for everyone's interest and help.

Quick Reply: Heated Seat upgrade