6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Buying New 2012 Truck F250 6.2 Liter Gas vs. Sierra 2500HD 6 Liter Vortec

Old 02-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Todd0060
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying New 2012 Truck F250 6.2 Liter Gas vs. Sierra 2500HD 6 Liter Vortec

4x4 F250 XL 4.30 axle vs 4x4 Sierra 2500HD 4.10 Axle looking for advice on which way to go.

From my research it seems the F250 XL packs towing with other nice features in a kind of plain work truck like vehicle which I like well enough and the 2500HD SLE trim is a bit nicer. Not as worried about looks as durability though. Both with 6 speed transmission including heavy duty transmission cooler for both and for some reason the Ford doesn't mention HD Engine Cooler, but Sierra does list it specifically. Perhaps it's automatically included or understood in the Ford, but I could not find an upgrade option for HD engine cooler for the 6.2 liter Ford.

The Ford is $4000 cheaper than the Sierra, and has factory goose/5th wheel and factory running boards. The both look very nice, the Sierra has nicer wheels, but no running boards or gooseneck/fifth wheel so that will make the Sierra cost even more.

I would like to keep the truck for a very long time and will take extremely good care of it. This is a one chance to get it right investment for me and I could squeeze the extra money from somewhere for the Sierra but not sure it is the best choice. The Sierra does include the rear view camera and rear window defrost, but that only accounts for well under $1000 in the GM.

The GM dealer says GMC is quality and Ford is quantity. I am sure Ford is quality too and if quantity or market leverage helps Ford offer lower cost quality items then as hard as I work for money I don't want to waste any.

My brain is fried now from studying specs for weeks and I have narrowed it all down to this and it is time to pull the trigger.

Neither dealer will reduce the price for me. It was like pulling teeth to get either to give me an extra $500 or so toward the deal. Ford's Truck Month isn't helping either and they sure aren't giving me 10 or 13k off of MSRP like their adds say this month. The Ford dealer told me it's like a loss leader ad where it only applies to 1 certain vehicle while quantities last and each dealership only gets 1 of the special vehicles so quantities won't last long. Yipes. Anyway...

Sorry for the long story, but any advice as to which truck would serve me best as a long term investment.

Needless to say, I do have towing needs.

Perhaps the question settles on is the Sierra worth that much more money when Ford seems to be a great truck in wide use. Granted the Ford engine is newer, but I had trouble finding any negative reports on the Ford 6.2 liter gas engine. Likewise I had trouble finding significant negative comments on the GM 6.0 liter Vortec either. (As info, I am not going with diesel, hince the gas engines research)

Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:48 PM
fg250
Elder User
well, I guess if you like them both and one is $4000 cheaper, with more usefull options, then it seems like a no brainer. Also, the Ford has all the radiator it needs, unlike the Chevy which makes you pay extra for it. As for the stupid comment from the GM salesman, that would've been the last conversation I had with him. Hope it works out for you whichever way you go.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Todd0060
New User
Originally Posted by fg250
well, I guess if you like them both and one is $4000 cheaper, with more usefull options, then it seems like a no brainer. Also, the Ford has all the radiator it needs, unlike the Chevy which makes you pay extra for it. As for the stupid comment from the GM salesman, that would've been the last conversation I had with him. Hope it works out for you whichever way you go.
Thank you for the feedback. Just to clarify, it was the Ford dealer that told me about the loss leader for the Ford truck month promotion. Both trucks seem nice although the Ford SD looks more like a work truck with vinyl floor and low end wheels and black grill. I could live with that though to save the money. I am just hoping to pick the one that will last the longest with least problems. Thanks again.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:17 AM
fg250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Todd0060
Thank you for the feedback. Just to clarify, it was the Ford dealer that told me about the loss leader for the Ford truck month promotion. Both trucks seem nice although the Ford SD looks more like a work truck with vinyl floor and low end wheels and black grill. I could live with that though to save the money. I am just hoping to pick the one that will last the longest with least problems. Thanks again.
actually I was referring to the quantity/quality comment....total BS

Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Todd0060
New User
Originally Posted by fg250
actually I was referring to the quantity/quality comment....total BS
Of course, now I understand your point. He has made the comment several times. I guess it is part of their training mantra to refuse to negotiate on pricing. He did say if it was another Sierra he would be able to do something but not against a Ford. I think it is just BS too. I guess thats why i was going to forums for advice. I have to say in driving both trucks the Sierra seemed really stiff for towing I guess and the Ford was stiff too although not as much. The Ford seems to manuever well with the tight turning radius. SoThank you again for responding.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:19 PM
8iron
Senior User
I think the GM dealer is making excuses for GM being outsold by Ford. Regardless, both are very capable vehicles. One is not significantly better than the other so it's personal preference. I prefer the Ford chassis and interior myself. But if you're looking long term the GM standard warranty is longer.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Smokeispower
Senior User
If I drove them both and still was undecided, I'd go for the lower priced truck. Plus as it happens the lower priced truck does not subsist on government aid.

I drove the Chevy, still prefer the Super Duty, even if the price was the same.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Todd0060
New User
Originally Posted by 8iron
I think the GM dealer is making excuses for GM being outsold by Ford. Regardless, both are very capable vehicles. One is not significantly better than the other so it's personal preference. I prefer the Ford chassis and interior myself. But if you're looking long term the GM standard warranty is longer.
Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate it.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Todd0060
New User
Originally Posted by Smokeispower
If I drove them both and still was undecided, I'd go for the lower priced truck. Plus as it happens the lower priced truck does not subsist on government aid.

I drove the Chevy, still prefer the Super Duty, even if the price was the same.
Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate the comments. I have thought about the bail out. The cost of the Ford Extended Wty was less too. I was planning to get that in either too.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:29 PM
L&D's Broncos
Die Hard Ford Fan

Blue Oval /vs/ Bow Tie

1) One thing to consider is GM's 6.0 has been unchaged for many years and the 6.2 is at the beginning. Spending the kind of money these new trucks cost I like being on the start of a production run rather than the end. If financing you don't want to get it paid off and feel like it's old & outdated and have to trade immediately.

2) Second is of course the bailout, enough said.

3) Not sure if you've locked on to a model but with some checking around you might find a truck sitting on a lot rather than ordering and it may have some cool packages on it saving you even more money. This is what I did. Found a dealer with over 18 Superdutys on hand, and found what I wanted without ordering. They will always make better deals on what they have in stock over what they order.

4) Personal preference above all. If you are not happy now, you won't be then.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Todd0060
New User
Originally Posted by L&D's Broncos
1) One thing to consider is GM's 6.0 has been unchaged for many years and the 6.2 is at the beginning. Spending the kind of money these new trucks cost I like being on the start of a production run rather than the end. If financing you don't want to get it paid off and feel like it's old & outdated and have to trade immediately.

2) Second is of course the bailout, enough said.

3) Not sure if you've locked on to a model but with some checking around you might find a truck sitting on a lot rather than ordering and it may have some cool packages on it saving you even more money. This is what I did. Found a dealer with over 18 Superdutys on hand, and found what I wanted without ordering. They will always make better deals on what they have in stock over what they order.

4) Personal preference above all. If you are not happy now, you won't be then.
Thank you for responding. May I ask what you paid for the 2012 F350 XLT 6.2 DRW? This one I am looking at is 2012 XL 4x4 is a work truck with a host of features ... 3.73 axle, 12200 towing and 12100 fifth wheel capacities, remote start, uplifter switches, Ford Sync, vinyl bench seats, vinyl floor, plain work truck 17" wheels, gooseneck and fifth wheel factory installed, running boards, cruise control, steering wheel controls, spray in bed liner. Several nice extras for a work truck. Price comes in at $36712. I am sure the dually is more and xlt, but just curious. Thanks. The GMC is about 4000 more and includes rear view camera in rear view mirror, heavier duty suspension, cloth bench seats, no spray in liner, no gooseneck/fifth wheel from factory, no running boards. Does include bluetooth, nicer wheels rear window defrost. Extended bumper to bumper wty is also less expensive from Ford. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:12 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you really comparing apples to apples?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Todd0060
New User
Originally Posted by snelldawg
Are you really comparing apples to apples?
Thanks for your message. The two trucks are similar except for rear view camera and slightly stronger suspension and nicer wheels and rear window defrost with no gooseneck/fifth wheel in the GMC. When I go line for line they are very close. I tried to match them up as best I could. Seems like several items are in the Ford that I will have pay extra for in the GMC ... running boards and gooseneck/fifth wheel. It is hard to get everything matched up just right. It just seems the GMC is $4000 more and I have appreciated everyone's feedback as I try to decide which brand to go with. Thanks again.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:28 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$4k is a lot. I'm a Ford guy, but if I was in your shoes I'd be leaning towards Ford because of the price difference, if those GM options don't matter too much to you.

The 6.2 is obviously new, but you can buy an extended Ford warranty heavily discounted online.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Todd0060
New User
Thank you. I appreciate you feedback.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying New 2012 Truck F250 6.2 Liter Gas vs. Sierra 2500HD 6 Liter Vortec