Symptoms of worn timing chain???? 351W

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
fordiesel69
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Symptoms of worn timing chain???? 351W

I would like to hear of the symptoms you guys experianced. I know the textbook symptoms, but I would like to hear real experiances.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's an easy way to check the slack in the chain: take a breaker bar and 15/16" socket to the center bolt on the crank. Remove the distributor cap. Using the breaker bar, rotate the crank back and forth and take note as to how far the crank moves before you see the distributor rotor move. I don't have a spec as how far is too much, but I'd say if you can move the crank more than 10-15* I'd replace the timing set pronto. 90* movement of the crank is one full cylinder in the firing order.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 PM
ilovemy60ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The worst I've seen I could actually hear the chain slapping the timing cover. When I got into it, there was a large hole worn in the cover.

On average, I think symptoms would be less noticeable. The cam would retard a small amount due to chain stretch. Might notice a loss in low end torque...

I'm thinking out loud here, I dunno. I was surprised to find how loose my last one was as everything was running well.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Ww F250 wW
Junior User
what they said ^
ive had some so bad that you can hear the chain slapping around

baddad has a great idea ive never thought of that!
good luck!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
In addition to the above, a wandering idle is a clue. The idle deteriorates to the point of almost stalling, then snaps back to normal. This is the result of the cam and ignition timing moving in and out of the "normal" range.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Salts
Senior User
can this affect gas mileage?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Salts
can this affect gas mileage?
Definately, as it affects the valve timing events. At worst it can jump time and quit running altogether.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Salts
Senior User
i ask because im getting about 6-9 mpg and my timing chain has about 1/4 inch plus (hard to tell haven't put a tape on it but its loose) of play and i think this is why my motor surges a little and im hoping its the cause of my horrible mileage .also gonna replace O2 sensor

Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Pull the distributor cap, put a breaker bar and 15/16 socket on the center bolt on the front of the crank, then while watching the distributor rotor, rotate the crank back and forth and take note as to how far the crank moves before the rotor does. 90* rotation of the crank is one full cylinder in the firing order, so you don't want the crank moving far before the distributor rotor does. The amount of movement before the rotor moves will give you an idea as to how much slack there is in the timing chain

Old 11-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Beanscoot
Cargo Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Worn timing chain

I had a crummy import car once that had a very worn roller timing chain, which I could tell by the sound of it striking the timing cover.

It was so worn that I was able to shorten it by two links and reinstall it, fixing(!) the problem.

This was a beater that I was "driving into the ground" as they say, so I wasn't prepared to buy parts for it.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Salts
Senior User
so i replaced my timing chain ..it was loose but not to bad ..i was replacing the water pump to begin with so i thought id hit two birds with one stone...one thing i did notice today...my SPOUT connector was gone..i guess the last owner lost it or something so thats half my problem right there. replaced everything and took it for a night run ..truck runs like a champ now.. gonna go do an mpg test then possibly the sixlitre tune

Old 11-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Stinky1
Junior User
Baddad gave excellent advice.

For further reference...

If you can hardly turn it before the rotor starts to turn...excellent, 1/8 turn, or less slack is good...1/4 turn slack is barely OK, if not sloppy.

IMHO, guessing at it (which is what you are doing because you didn't really check it), I'd guess that the O2 sensors are a bigger part of the problem.

Also, TORQUE YOUR CRANK NUT!!! The slot in the pulley does NOT hold in place, it just indexes it. The nut keeps it from moving. If you don't get that nut tight enough...in 50K miles, or so, the key-way will be wallowed out, and possibly the crank ruint (a red-neck verb and/or adjective).

The way to torque your nut is to take a tie down strap...wrap it around the pulley, hook it on the frame and tighten it up....as it tightens, if will grab onto the pulley and keep it from turning. Everybody has a tie-down laying around the house.

I'd love to see baddad's opinion on how much you should be able to turn a crank before the rotor should start to turn.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:04 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
A quarter turn of the crank is one full cylinder in the firing order, that is way too much, as would be 1/8 turn. The balancer is held in place with a 5/8NF bolt, not a nut. Never seen one "get loose" on it's own. The crank pulley is secured with 4 3/8" bolts to the balancer, never seen these "get loose" either.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Beanscoot
Cargo Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've had the crankshaft damper bolt come out but only once. I had been turning the engine over with a large ratchet and socket when working on it and then quit for the day.

A couple days later I noticed my socket wrench on the ground in the parking area, and next to it was the bolt. I had left the wrench on the bolt, so the next time that I started the car, the wrench handle spun around until it hit something, then unscrewed the bolt, and both fell on the ground without me noticing. The damper didn't loosen in the couple of days I drove it like that.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Beanscoot
I've had the crankshaft damper bolt come out but only once. I had been turning the engine over with a large ratchet and socket when working on it and then quit for the day.

A couple days later I noticed my socket wrench on the ground in the parking area, and next to it was the bolt. I had left the wrench on the bolt, so the next time that I started the car, the wrench handle spun around until it hit something, then unscrewed the bolt, and both fell on the ground without me noticing. The damper didn't loosen in the couple of days I drove it like that.
I hate it when that happens. It's a wonder it didn't break something

Quick Reply: Symptoms of worn timing chain???? 351W