Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

Two more new members!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Two more new members!

Please welcome two more new members to our growing band of ford guys!

"Super79CS" from Beavercreek with a 79 F250,
and, "kythri" from?, with a 77 F250

Welcome to the chapter guys!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 3,983 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Welcome to the chapter. Be sure to post up and tell us your rigs.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Super79CS
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!

I will admit I do not spend a whole lot of time online, as I am always outside working on something or another...the life of a mechanic and homeowner...need I say more?

A bit about me...Hi, my name is Bryan, 32, and I'm from Beavercreek, and I'm an addict. I may not be very old, but I have seen a lot of miles and places. I grew up all over the world, my dad being an enlisted man...but the majority of places we stayed at was Alabama, Germany, and here in Oregon, where I plan on stayin!

I have been a Ford man all my life. Heck, when i was born, i was brought home in a 79 Bronco XLT special edition!! ya know, the one with the rag top and all the funky Orange and Red stripes...ya, that one. I have a real old pic on my wall of it! It was my dads pride and joy, and it is always a fun conversation piece, as it was the only Bronco you would ever find in Germany in the 80s. (he had it shipped over in the Military). I spent my younger yrs in the pass seat of my dads 76 F150 and My first truck was a 77 F250HB, and I have had several variations of older Fords between then and now.
This was my most recent Ford up until a year ago.

96 PSD, "Highboy" suspension from F350, SAS D60, ARB Front, Truetrac rear, TS 6 position Tuner, CAI, straightpiped, Banks DP,Banks TransCommand, Rear Disc conversion....

AND I TRADED all that for THIS....

My current project, a 1979 F250 4x4 SuperCab Ranger XLT Camper Special (minus the tractor), which has been THE worst deal I have EVER made in my life to date...but that is another long story altogether. At least I kept my wheels/tires! I just keep telling myself, you have to make some sacrifices to get what you you want, right?
Its kinda funny actually, as I typed this post, I checked my calendar, and it has been exactly a year ago yesterday...

and yea, it looks nice on the outside. it does have a good body, but that's about the only thing its got going for it. I have plans, though...including a Diesel swap of which I am getting started on this weekend. which is what brought me to this Forum in the first place...and I got to hangin around and figured, what the heck...might as well join and document my fun!

and then there's my other personality...the one that is totally infatuated by VW's of all kinds. yup...got a few of them..like rabbits, they are (no pun intended)

oh and in case you haven't noticed, I am a bit of a winded talk....er.....typer...

Thanks, ya'll!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome guys!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 PM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You traded the PSD for the truck and tractor or just the truck?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Super79CS
Freshman User
just the truck . The tractor is my dads. that was just the only picture I could find at the time. Had i got a tractor in the deal, It would have been a good deal. not so much.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:50 AM
kythri
Mountain Pass
Greetings!

My name is Brian, I'm 34, and I'm from Lebanon.

Born in Corvallis, grew up in Halsey (punctuated by a brief stint in Coos Bay), moved to Albany when I was 18 and then out here about 6 years ago.

I'm a network engineer by day for a local healthcare corporation (primarily stationed in Corvallis), but discovered that my adolescent ideas of turning my video game/computer geek hobby into a career, while ultimately successful, meant I needed to find a new hobby, lest I completely burn myself out.

Grew up in a Mopar family, but never was into cars growing up - blinking lights and buttons were always far more fascinating - but when I finally got older and wiser, cars became far more interesting than they used to be.

So, with those Mopar roots, I bought my first car, and with help from my dad and a couple of shops, I discovered a new addiction - souping up Chrysler G-Bodies.

That lasted a couple years, until someone in a Mitsubishi Mirage decided to ruin my built-up '86 Chrysler Laser, and I bought myself a '93 Taurus SHO.

Thanks to that FANTASTIC piece of machinery, I've been a Ford nut since 1999.

That one SHO led to the purchase of two more - a '91 SHO Plus and a '92. Sadly, maintenance and upkeep became a nightmare, and at that point in my life (early 20's), I was apartment-bound, and didn't really have a suitable place to house and work on the cars (too far from the parent's place to be a feasible garage), so they got sold while they were still worth a few bucks, and I got a '99 Explorer in 2003.

Still have the Explorer - 4.0 SOHC V6 - which I've lifted and done some other work to. Augmented that in 2007 with an '02 Crown Victoria that became my daily driver - I found that the 18-20mpg out of that 4.6 V8 is far better than the 10-12 my Explorer now gets!

About 6 months ago, the desire for a real truck overwhelmed me (as well as wanting a project to wrench on), and I started looking into scratching that itch.

I knew I wanted a Ford, knew that I wanted it to be an F-250, but wasn't really sure where to go from there, short of knowing (from monkeying around with the Explorer) that I didn't want to deal with IFS, TTB or anything other than a solid front axle.

Ultimately, narrowed down my search to what Wikipedia refers to as the "sixth generation" F-250, 1973-1979, and further narrowed that to exclude the 1978-1979 body style, as I really like the round headlights.

Decided that, after nearly a decade of not having a stick shift, I wanted a manual transmission beast and that I wanted it to be a 4WD.

While my father is still a Mopar nut, he's pretty knowledgeable about just about everything automotive, having grown up working in my grandfather's Richfield service station, and then moving on to a career at NAPA, managing a local franchise for the better part of 20 years before moving onto the job that allowed him to retire while he still has time left to enjoy his own auto hobbies.

We talked quite a bit, and narrowed down my choice to a 1976 or 1977 with a 390 in it, along with my other options.

I guess this isn't the easiest thing to find, because it seems they didn't come stock like this? Not positive, but that's where my research led me.

Fortunately, about a month ago, I found what appeared to be my perfect match over in Redmond.

A trip over there with a couple of buddies, a little bit of haggling, and I ended up coming home with not one, but TWO 1977 F-250 Rangers!

The package deal the gentleman selling the truck I wanted ended up including a '77 F-250 2WD Camper Special with a 460 in it that he had purchased on the cheap as a parts truck. The truck had a bit of body damage from tapping a tree when it slid off the road at low speed - bent bumper, bent hood, bent driver's fender, broken grille - but, it ran, and was overall in pretty good shape - much nicer interior than the black truck, and the body damage didn't seem to be an insurmountable repair.

Brought them both home, sadly without incident - the brakes on the black truck are in serious need of adjustment, and on the icy/slick pass coming home, the truck fishtailed and gave a guardrail a tiny kiss - no actual damage, but a tiny bit of tan paint on the bumper. The bigger issue came because I slid the truck sideways, and my buddy driving the 2WD was a little close, and slid into the passenger fender:

"Fortunately" the only additional damage to the 2WD was parts that were already damaged, and the damage to the 4WD, while sad, is, again, not insurmountable, and not horribly expensive to fix.

Now I'm just finishing up cleaning up my shop and organizing stuff so I can get the trucks inside and start tearing into them.

Need to fix the brakes and steering on the 4WD, along with the body damage.

The transmission on the 2WD seems to slip a little bit, so that'll be another project unless I decide to part it out, but I'm really hoping not to do that - I really like the idea of turning the 2WD into a flatbed utility truck.

Those two beasts led me to this forum, where I hope to tap into the collective knowledge and put them back on the road in short order.

Only other thing I really need to discover is a local auto body place that does good paint work for cheap - don't need show quality, since these trucks are going to be toys/work trucks, just want something that looks better than rattle-cans, doesn't have peeling/failing clear coat, and doesn't suffer from 5-car color syndrome (body parts from multiple different color cars). Hopefully you fine folks can point me in that direction?

Thanks for the welcome! Hope to get to know all of you more during my stay here!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:30 PM
892504x4
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Welcome to the Chapter

Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Welcome welcome! Lots of good guys around here, lots of B.S.

Glad to see some new members that know how to post! haha