Modular V10 (6.8l)  

2003 f250 v10 Problems. Myths?

Old 02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Nabors
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 f250 v10 Problems. Myths?

I'm looking at this model year and v10 but it seems to have some problems. Would you suggest this or would the 5.4 be a much more reliable option? Thanks.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try switching to a different year to avoid possible problems??

Old 02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Nabors
Senior User
I'm asking if the engine is as problematic as some people describe.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 PM
ol'yeller
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nabors
I'm asking if the engine is as problematic as some people describe.
The motor is a great motor, not problematic at all. Early V10s had a problem blowing plugs but typically it was not on every V10. My '99 has over 100K on it and has never spit a plug. If they are installed properly using Motorcraft plugs, and changed every 70K or so, you shouldn't have a problem. Somewhat newer V10s had a problem with plugs breaking when removed but there are fixes readily available if this happens.

A more common problem would be broken exhaust studs. This is a somewhat difficult job, expensive if you pay someone else to have the pain, but certainly doable cheaply by a person with good mechanical skills/tools. My OPINION is that the length of the stock exhaust manifolds makes them move too much during heat/cooling cycles which causes them to snap the studs. It seems that replacing the manifolds with headers limit the possibilty of this recurring. I had to do this repair on my truck at about 75K.

Often on the Internet all you will hear are problems SOME people have with certain engines or trucks. You can't assume that every or even most vehicles will experience similar problems. For every person who reports a problem there are many who never have the problem.

If you are doing towing or hauling the V10 would be a great choice. They are kinda thirsty but that is what makes them great tow machines. My OPINION is that the 5.4 is as good as a reliable motor but lacking in the torque and power needed for towing in this big heavy truck.
YMMV.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Nabors
Senior User
Towing and hauling is my main forte. I have the know-how and time to do repairs. As with most new(used) cars, I would do a tune up and do an exhaust upgrade for that wonderful sound. I would, of course, be inclined to do it right (starting from the engine). Most people have had wonderful experiences with these engines. I should have known that the Chevy forum would throw it WAY out of proportion. And concerning the gas issue, us truck users know there is quite the cost involved in these heavy duty trucks. Again, thanks for the advice.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there is virtualy no difference in possible problems between the 5.4 and 6.8 on the same years..

its basicly the same engine with 2 extra cylinders on the end.

the only real issues with these engines is possible spark plug blow out or rotting exhaust studs.

other then that they are stout/ and solid.

the plugs are only an issue if you dont look after em, and esp. if you dont check the torgue values when installing. that step is crucial.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM
ol'yeller
Senior User
Also do some research here on this website about exhaust sytems. It is somewhat difficult to get a "Wonderful Sound" from the V10. The nature of the exhaust flow of the V10 makes getting the deep growl of a V8 difficult. If you decide to go the V10 route, research different sound clips to make sure you get what you are looking for. I decided to keep mine quiet and strong. There is a TON of info here about Fords best kept secret.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Nabors
Senior User
As much as I like the v8 growl, the power is just not there. The v10 has a very unique/distinct sound which some people really jumped on with their exhaust systems. And as for the spark plug problem, carelessness gives way to Chevy and Dodge guys shoving it down Ford's throat. By the way, I appreciate the level of professionalism experienced on this forum.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 PM
RWG78
Junior User

As far as I'm concerned, the Ford V10 is the best engines that I've ever had. I had a 2002 F250 V10 for 7 years and the only problem with it was a few broken exhaust studs and a coil go bad.Myself and a friend of mine tackled that job over a weekend. I never had a spark plug issue, and when I changed them none of them were loose or ready to blow out. Am I biased towards it, yes. That's because it never failed me, and always had more than enough power for towing. BTW, I've worked for GM dealerships for 20 years now. I've had Chevys in the past, but GM hasn't made a big gas engine since 2005, and they haven't made a truck that I like the looks of since 1998!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:43 PM
4mcrue
Junior User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I came over from chevy as well, I now have a 2006 V10. I love the truck, don't care if she's thirsty.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Nabors
Senior User
I learned to drive on a 79 c10 and have been driving that for years. It's a rust bucket but I love it. My fathers taurus has 206,000 miles on it (not to brag but I drove it past the 200,000 mile Mark my mothers van has 138,000 miles on it but has been through hell. Trying to talk her into the new explorer (haha). My point being Ford never has let the family down. Ford for life.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Chevy convert here as well. I've owned several Chevy trucks over the past several years and not one of them is anywhere near as good a truck as my current '04 V10-powered F250. Nearly 108K miles and (knock on wood) not even one problem yet. By the time my Suburban reached this point it had seen three transmissions, an expensive rear A/C unit failure, steering problems, broken power seat, EFI problems, fuel pump, water pump, alternator, heater hose leak and several little issues that should not be happening to a vehicle that was well-maintained and cost nearly $35K new. The V10 is as close to maintenance free as I have seen since our last Ford, and like you, it'll be Fords from here on out.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nabors
I'm looking at this model year and v10 but it seems to have some problems. Would you suggest this or would the 5.4 be a much more reliable option? Thanks.

Regarding the spark plug blow issue...it was corrected in 2003MY by adding more threads to the head.

IMHO...the V10 2v is a GREAT engine.

Go buy it...and ENJOY FORD's best!

biz

Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 PM
shawn55
Junior User
Same here mine is a 2004 f-350 crew v-10 and I love the truck and have hade no problems with it. Only 79,000 miles on it now.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Nabors
Senior User
This thread has really persuaded me. I should be getting it within a week or two. I'll be sure to post pictures. Thanks everyone for your help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 f250 v10 Problems. Myths?