Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TURBO MY INLINE 6? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:58 AM
tylerandreasson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TURBO MY INLINE 6? HELP!

i want to turbocharge my i6 300 in an f-250 and i have seen a thread about a guy who used one from a gm 6.5 but how much custom fab work would i have to do? im on a budget and i was just wondering if there was another turbo or if the 6.5 turbo would be the best bet. also would i have to change my Fuel Injectors to bigger ones? like out of a 302? thanks.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You'll have to make exhaust manifolds.
You'll have to make a new intake tract.

You'll likely have to upgrade your fuel injectors.
You'll likely have to tune the EFI to support the system changes.

You'd also probably want to learn about how forced induction systems work, the math and physics involved, because rarely, projects like these are "simple".

You might find it easier to buy a used belt-driven supercharger, such as a paxton or vortex, and make an accessory bracket for it and use a longer belt and possibly, an additional tensioner.

Making one bracket is easier than making a good manifold with good flow.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:43 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let us know when you start.
We have great input and lots of combined knowledge.

If you are serious then I'd get a 5.9 cummins turbo called hx35.
You can redneck install it by twisting exhaust around to connect with turbo or you can build a decent log exh manifold.
You get a 5psi wastegate to hook up
MSD 6btm
Fmu
Intercooler

That will get you started.

Ask questions and we will help (some will heckle)

Old 02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
tbirdscott
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UNTAMND how do you think an he341 would work rather than the hx35? I have a spare sittin around from my common rail.

You make it almost sound easy! Would like to play around with my 300 before I get rid of it.

Scott

Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM
wicat3
Elder User
Not sure if you have checked any of these links out yet but here are a few that I found for performance and what not. I was in the process of building a model T or a T bucket but I didnt want to use the standard V8 and wanted something diffrent so I bought a 66 Mustang driveline, ford inline 6 200ci with C4 auto behind it, but i was going to turbo it because if done right you can build more power then a v8. There is a few guys who race these bigger sixes and know how to turbo them and make massive power out of it. I sent them an email and they sent me alot of info on how to go about building a turbo six. Anyway Ive heard a turbo for a Grand national is perfect for the inline sixes

Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Part Categories
Ford Six Performance Home/Index
Hotsixes inline & V6 information, 6 cylinder forum, online parts shop & the 6 banger nats
Clifford Performance :: Make 6 = 8

Old 02-08-2012, 05:27 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
HE341 is just as good. It's a nice sized exh housing a d flows good air.
The gn turbo isnt big enough. It will spool great but run out on the top if you do actually build an engine later on.

The manifold you make doesn't need to be engineered. Look at the cummins manifold. Tight bends and log style. Turbos like velocity. So a log directing all flow at high pressure isnt bad. The 300 is a terrible head design anyway. It's not like you're putting a crappy home built manifold on a 32v all alum Audi engine that flows crazy numbers.

Don't worry about it. Find some nice bends and build from your current exh manifolds forward and together. A t3 flange is what's on he turbo already so your good. Make a brace off the engine to hold turbo up at the flange as well. Oil feed can be t'eed off the oil sending unit and then get a drain into oilpan somehow.

Yee-ha get ready for some boost.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 AM
tylerandreasson
New User
i was looking into superchargers also, but they are a bit pricy. thanks for all the help. im going to do a bit more research before i start but ill start in the near future and post pics.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Turbos are easy to custom do. Supercharges are a little more tricky. Need to be rigid and belt alignment then add an idler for correct belt wrap and stuff.
A turbo on an f150 300-6 would take me a day to build.
If I owned a 300-6 truck I'd build a kit and stress test it, then produce them. Cause it would be something I'd enjoy building in my shop. I love building stuff people say is rediculous or hard.
I gotta say putting a custom supercharger on the corrado was way tougher then the turbo kit I built for a miata. And the vw had WAY more room to work.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:45 AM
tbirdscott
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wicat3
I bought a 66 Mustang driveline, ford inline 6 200ci with C4 auto behind it, but i was going to turbo it because if done right you can build more power then a v8.
One thing to note is the 144-170-200-250 I6's are a different breed than the 240-300. Good links though Fordsix is a good place.

Scott

Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM
wicat3
Elder User
Yea they are but the company I talked with that gave me advice had turboed both 200 and 300 they liked the 300 because it could withstand more boost when done right. When i started looking into a turbo six i was told to find a 300 but couldnt do that around here without buying a truck but i found the 200 for 60 bucks with a transmission so it worked for me

Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Yeah the 300 is a freakin tank compared to the 200. But the 200 is light.
The 300 has giant bearings compared to the 200. But both have awesome potential because of the 7 main bearings.
I've always wanted to turbo a 300 just because. But I've never had a truck with one.
Lots of aftermarket for both if you know where to look.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM
wicat3
Elder User
agreed the hardest part is finding people who know what there doing and parts for them to make the hp

Old 05-29-2016, 05:45 AM
Tazs1
New User
I want to turbo my 240 i6 in my 1965 f100 but don't know if it can be done or how to do it right if it can be done and don't know how to pick the right turbo and how to set it up right can any help with any information

Old 05-29-2016, 07:49 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Well.... For one, you're in the 87-97 forum, so unless you have retrofitted efi onto your engine, you won't get much help, just interest.
Two, this thread is 4 years old. You'd be better going to the root folder, and going to performance section, and going to turbo/supercharger section.

I'm not telling you to leave, there is a lot of good reading in these other folders. Read it all.

Personally, I would start with a cummins hy35, or a gm 6.5 turbo. If you are on eBay, probably something that maxes out at 450 hp will be nice.

You can get a 2 or 4 barrel intake, then you can blow through the carb. I've seen the single barrel used as blow through, but it's kinda small.

Email me if you'd like. GearheadMachining@gmail.com
I'm always looking for nifty projects like this.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:30 AM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazs1
I want to turbo my 240 i6 in my 1965 f100 but don't know if it can be done or how to do it right if it can be done and don't know how to pick the right turbo and how to set it up right can any help with any information

If the 300 is your thing go here and here ask questions.

FTE is a great place for "how do I make a good bracket to mount X to Y" and "how should I wire up Z"

If you want to discuss more advanced engine specific subject matter go to an engine specific forum.

If you want to discuss custom suspension stuff go to a forum that does that.

If you're all about 1/4mi performance then there's a forum for that.

Going fast in the desert? There's a forum for that too.

FTE is like a multitool. There's a lot of info her on a lot of stuff and sometimes there's great in-depth tech on niche topics (there's a great port+polish job on an I6 head, among other things) but the more specific your goal the less likely you are to get good relevant help here. Our specific sub-forums often have great tech as well but compared to external forums there isn't much traffic. Go to a place where people are good and answering questions like yours to ask your questions. You don't take your top-fuel dragster to Firestone for an alignment. You don't take your diesel electric locomotive engine to a circle track shop for a rebuild. Why would you ask anyone but the people who build the 300 about building the 300?

The short answer to your question "how to I build a turbo 300 that doesn't suck" is stick EFI exhausts on it, make a custom pipe to hold the turbo (people have been successful doing both remote mount and engine bay mounted) port the living heck out of your head, toss it on a 96 long block with a massive cam, throw water methanol at it to keep detonation away. After that your problem will be that the amount of friction between the tires and ground is too low

Unless you want to make a lot of trips to the machine shop I'd advise you spend a few months reading everything you can about building up the 300 and turbocharging. There's no kit to pick out of a catalog and few builds you can copy and all the ones I know of have had minor issues. You're gonna need to become well versed in all the subjects you're dealing with to pull off this build successfully in one go.