Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about a hybrid F250 TTB susepnsion

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:46 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking about a hybrid F250 TTB susepnsion

Here's what I'm thinking. Imagine a regular TTB front suspension on a F250, complete with leaf springs. Now lets remove the leaf springs and replace them with coil springs, basically the setup of a F150 TTB but using the Dana 50 components of a F250. I would think it could be a big improvement in ride quality and suspension articulation but it would keep the stronger D50 components up front. I imagine the coil towers from a 2wd F250/350 could be used and the coil mounting brackets from a 2wd axle beam could be adapted to the area where the leaf spring mounting pads are on the axle.

Has this been done or discussed before? I'm actually thinking about this for my F250. I've replaced the TTB with a solid D60 a while ago, while it makes for a bullet proof drive train the truck rides like a broken ox cart on any surface that isn't glassy smooth. A newer generation F250 w/ a coil sprung solid axle is just too far out of reach right now, so I'm just thinking of ways to work with what I have available to me at the current time.

Thanks for sharing any ideas!

Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
How about a 05+ SD front axle swap with coils. been done alot and is almost a bolt in weekend job

Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
By almost bolt in what do you mean? what is actually required and what is modified?.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
How about a 05+ SD front axle swap with coils. been done alot and is almost a bolt in weekend job
I'd rather buy the '05 and not have to adapt any axles to anything but I can't at this time, that's why I sad I want to work with what I have available to me.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 962 Likes on 762 Posts
Coils beat leafs in every way so I think you idea has merit, I don't know if it will produce a substantial improvement in ride quality with appropriate for an f250 springs in there but I don't see it making it any worse. You will need to add radius arms too of course to keep the axle located and longer than stock versions would improve geometry and increase potential travel so you may want to consider that while you're at it.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Encho
By almost bolt in what do you mean? what is actually required and what is modified?.
Contact Home he has done a bunch of them

Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by firewood truck
I'd rather buy the '05 and not have to adapt any axles to anything but I can't at this time, that's why I sad I want to work with what I have available to me.
I understand not wanting to buy a newer superduty just to get a coil sprung front end, but why won't you consider this option? It sounds like you don't want to do any fabrication, but yet you still want to convert from leafs to coils.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:55 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
I always thought if I had an F250 and was converting it to 4x4, I would do it this way, using the 2wd coil buckets.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So when you slug the Dana 60 under your truck did you use a stock F350 setup? If you did why don't you look into a shackle reversal kit? You don't have to do any fabricating and should get a much better ride.

Also, someone will have to chime in with the details, but I know I've seen F250s with coil sprung TTB before. Like I said I don't know the details, 50/44HD, LD/HD, years, option package, but I know that they are out there and could be a source for parts. Though if a remember ride the coils were so stiff that you still had the same ride as a left spring truck

Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jokerforever
Also, someone will have to chime in with the details, but I know I've seen F250s with coil sprung TTB before. Like I said I don't know the details, 50/44HD, LD/HD, years, option package, but I know that they are out there and could be a source for parts. Though if a remember ride the coils were so stiff that you still had the same ride as a left spring truck
No 4x4 F-250 of this era came with coil springs from the factory.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:43 PM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
How about a 05+ SD front axle swap with coils.
I've been reading about those. I'm really interested in the swap. I'm thinking about using that to convert to 4x4. You'd get the handling and turning radius of a 2wd, with the added benefit of being to go up a slight inclined hill in grass.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:58 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm very interested in the 05+ SD swap. Definitely got to look that one up.

I've also thought that a TTB 50 with coils would have been a much better solution than leafs. My guess, but I don't know, is that the radius arms would have to be custom.

But, off the top of my head:
Coil buckets from a 2wd F250/350
Fabbed up lower mounts
Radius mounts from 2wd F250/350 or F150, which ever fit better
Fabbed up radius arms.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
88 F-350
Freshman User
If u have the bullet proff d60 I would keep that and put coil springs on it it would seem easier to weld the bucket to the straight front axle and u wouldn't have to worry about the problematic d50. Or u could run a set of sky jacket soft rides?? Just a thought

Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by andym
I understand not wanting to buy a newer superduty just to get a coil sprung front end, but why won't you consider this option? It sounds like you don't want to do any fabrication, but yet you still want to convert from leafs to coils.
It's not a matter of not wanting to buy a SD, it's a matter of not wanting to spend the money at this time. The conversion I'm trying to discuss is something that might be much more manageable right now. I never said anything about trying to avoid fabrication, I'm just thinking about using existing hardware within this generation of trucks to achieve a certain goal. I've read a few threads that showed the SD axles being stuffed under this generation of trucks, I personally think the conversions aren't very well thought out or engineered, they just look like typical back yard hack jobs.

As far as doing a shackle reversal, I'm not interested in lifting the truck at all, every one of those reversal kits jacks the front end up in the air, that's something I don't want.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by f100beatertruck
I'm very interested in the 05+ SD swap. Definitely got to look that one up.

I've also thought that a TTB 50 with coils would have been a much better solution than leafs. My guess, but I don't know, is that the radius arms would have to be custom.

But, off the top of my head:
Coil buckets from a 2wd F250/350
Fabbed up lower mounts
Radius mounts from 2wd F250/350 or F150, which ever fit better
Fabbed up radius arms.
This is basically what I'm thinking, if I'm going to move forward at all with this the next step is to go to a junk yard and get some measurements then try to model it in CATIA. There's no reason it can't work, it's a matter of deciding if the end result would be worth the effort. I'd need to it to be functional, not just "different".

Quick Reply: thinking about a hybrid F250 TTB susepnsion