1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1990 E250 manuals

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 E250 manuals

Evening all,

I just bought a 1990 E250 cargo van with a 302. I usually just go right out and buy a Haynes but happen to swing by the local library and they had a Chiltons for the year and model I just bought. The book was horrible. I'm having second thoughts on getting a Haynes now. I was most specifically looking for a chassis schematic that would have in detail the fuel pump, selector switch, and the valve that controls the fuel from both tanks to the engine. My dual tank system is not working and the previous owner was having to live off of the rear tank only. I was told not to touch the switch or I'd run out of gas. I want to learn more about the system but the Chiltons was of no help at all. Before I start to troubleshoot the system I need to know where all of the parts are and how they are wired. Can anyone recommend a manual or where to get a cd or something that will have my van in detail please.

Thanks and have a nice night.

Sid

Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't much to these selector valves. Often they quit working cause they're to dirty to work.

Removing, and cleaning it might get it working again, or the fuse for it is burned.

Heres what it looks like, yours might be slightly different, as this one is on my 1985 E350 Diesel van.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it, if the rear tank works, just use that one.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:13 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Selector valve

Thank you sir for the pic. I appreciate the advice on just sticking with the rear tank, but we plan on doing some long hauling with this van and would really like for both tanks to be operational. Any idea where I can get a good manual for my van or a cd of such?

Thanks once again sir.

Sid

Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 PM
kb1jid
Junior User
Check out E-bay for the manuals. You can get the ones that ford used Vol 1&2 also get the Electrical+ Vacuum Manual lots of info in them Also on your van you have a gas engine your valve will be different you have electric fuel pumps in each tank when you move the switch on the dash you turn on that pump and the valve on the frame switches by it self You could have a bad fuel pump in one of the tanks Make sure you get the Manuals for ECONOLINE, F- SERIES, BRONCO hope this helps

Old 02-05-2012, 07:26 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by kb1jid
Check out E-bay for the manuals. You can get the ones that ford used Vol 1&2 also get the Electrical+ Vacuum Manual lots of info in them. Make sure you get the Manuals for ECONOLINE, F- SERIES, BRONCO hope this helps
+1 on this ^^ I've found and purchased numerous OEM manuals for cheap money through FleaBay. They tend to be far far superior to any generic manual like Haynes, Chilton, Mitchell et al.

Best of luck with your problem.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:04 AM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Goin to ebay to shop

Originally Posted by kb1jid
Check out E-bay for the manuals. You can get the ones that ford used Vol 1&2 also get the Electrical+ Vacuum Manual lots of info in them Also on your van you have a gas engine your valve will be different you have electric fuel pumps in each tank when you move the switch on the dash you turn on that pump and the valve on the frame switches by it self You could have a bad fuel pump in one of the tanks Make sure you get the Manuals for ECONOLINE, F- SERIES, BRONCO hope this helps
Thank you guys for the quick replies. I was over at ebay last night. I did purchase this manual. Look ok?
1990 Ford Econoline Club Wagon Electrical Vacuum Manual | eBay

Also there seems to be different color covers on the manuals on ebay, brown or green. Plus some sort of pre-delivery manual. Is 50 bucks a volume sound normal? I know its how bad do I want it, just don't want to jump the gun. If any of you all of the time today, you think maybe you guys can point the correct set out to me please. Thank you very much again and enjoy the game those of you who will watch. I'll be messing with the horses and playing with my new miller instead.

Have a great day all.

Sid

Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
The colors of the manual covers as displayed---assuming they're the same type---might be due bad photography so don't pay that much attention. There IS a difference though if its an EVTM, owners manual or full service volume. This is what you'd want to eventually have: 1990 Ford F150 F250 F350 Bronco Econoline Van shop service repair manual SET | eBay but that is crazy money--keep shopping!

Maybe create your own search in the manuals category for your year and truck type, perhaps allowing eBay to email notify you of new additions. If a good Buy It Now item comes up you'll be among the first to maybe ****** it up.

FWIW I found a nearly-unused two volume set in hard bound plastic note books, each over 5" tall----for like $40 shipped. Look for these two sellers: eBay My World - blackhatauction and: eBay My World - oharazmanualz

Contact them for your specific needs----they might not yet have listed it.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 AM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Manuals

Thanks a ton. You guys are invaluable.

Have a great afternoon.

Sid

Old 01-02-2015, 04:47 PM
johnperf
New User
Smile 1990 e250 stalls after 20 mins

The problem was internal fuel pump in the gas tank. Very costly trial and error.
But problem went away immediately ....November 2014 , 130,000 K
Camper van with dul fuel tanks.