Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: BPofMD

Don't take my membership but....I am looking for a car...a VW...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't take my membership but....I am looking for a car...a VW...

Howdy everyone! Don't banish me but I am looking for a car.
I am looking for a VW diesel.....the cheaper the better...my MPG's are starting to take a toll.
anyone know anyone? right now I am looking at an 04 Jetta 180K for $7K, I know I can do better than that. preferably something in fair to good condition for $3K'ish
Anyone?...there is a beer and lunch in it for ya!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:09 PM
michaloco
European Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hopefully you keep your truck anyway.....

Old 02-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by michaloco
hopefully you keep your truck anyway.....
OH YES! I am keeping my truck...for sure! *Especially if it ever snows again! I just want something I can drive a few times a week to keep some scratch (money) in my pocket. My truck gets good mileage...for a truck but it is starting to add up.

Sorry for the OT but:....

*Mike, our winter has been anything but winter! Our winter here (in the Washington DC area) has been VERY VERY mild!!!...probably like your summer last year, lol. The weather has been very strange world wide. It snowed in Rome today...1st time in 26 years! I know Europe has been hit hard with cold recently. How about you? Has it been colder/snowier than normal?

Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
michaloco
European Enthusiast
glad to hear you keep your truck

now also OT and sorry for that:
our winter started mild and wet, just as our summer ended. but now it gets REALLY cold her, in this morning we had -16ºC/3.2ºF and to next week the weatherguys expect down to -25ºC/-13ºF and we have also snow from 8" to 20" and more is to expect.
this picture is from last week

Old 02-03-2012, 04:17 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Nothing wrong with a diesel in anything. I've worked on a few of them They're a neet piece.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Ford I-6
New User
Michael that 350 is looking nice !

Old 02-07-2012, 01:32 PM
michaloco
European Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ford I-6
Michael that 350 is looking nice !
thanks

and welcome to FTE.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
Start with www.tdiclub.com, there is every bit of possible TDi knowledge that has ever existed on that site. The '04 you quoted is not priced unreasonable, TDi vehicles bring top dollar and then some, as long as they have a documented service history. Here's where you HAVE to do your home work or you will be just throwing your money away- VW TDi engines have very unique components and require a proprietary software called VAGCOM to do any injection related service work, including the timing belt. ( More on that in a minute) 99% of independent garages and chain repair centers ( sears automotive, merchant tire, NTB, ect...) do not have this software.

OK, why is this important? I'll tell ya why- the weak point on the TDi engine is the timing belt, even the most current version of the belt is only good for 90K miles. When the belts are pushed beyond that, they break and when they break, if you are having a good day it will only wipe out the entire cylinder head but most of the time the broken valves will also take out pistons with them basically destroying a $6500 engine. Here's where documented service work is so important- the correct way of doing a TDi timing belt involves using a factory quality belt which are made by Continental, they are not cheap ( as in inexpensive!) along with the belt there is a bunch of one time use hardware, a belt tensioner and a water pump , some misc. gaskets and most importantly, the CORRECT coolant, G12. It's a dark reddish/purple color, it doesn't mix with anything else. If you see green generic coolant in the fill bottle, walk away from the car. The electrolysis damage is already going on inside of the cylinder head from using the wrong stuff.

If you see a TDi car and you notice a 'quicky lube' style sticker on the windshield, walk away from the car. Quick change oil shops don't use the correct spec'd oil, the turbo is pressure fed and kills the wrong oil in a matter of hours. The turbos impeller shaft will bang around in the bearings and cause metallic flakes to get passed around inside of the engine, the damage will be fatal.

I share this info with you based on my personal experience from being a prior VW service tech and as someone who did a LOT of TDi repairs on the side, mostly buying destroyed cars from people who cheaped out and had a uninformed 'mechanic' hack who would buy the cheapest POS timing belt from autozone, incorrectly install it, not get the pump timing reset because they didn't have the software, fill the crank case with the wrong oil, fill the cooling system with the wrong coolant and ruin the engine, them blame VW for making a crap car. A proper timing belt job is in the $600-$700 range when the correct parts are used, this is something that any owner will keep a receipt of because of the cost involved and the importance of having the service performed.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by firewood truck
Start with www.tdiclub.com, there is every bit of possible TDi knowledge that has ever existed on that site. The '04 you quoted is not priced unreasonable, TDi vehicles bring top dollar and then some, as long as they have a documented service history. Here's where you HAVE to do your home work or you will be just throwing your money away- VW TDi engines have very unique components and require a proprietary software called VAGCOM to do any injection related service work, including the timing belt. ( More on that in a minute) 99% of independent garages and chain repair centers ( sears automotive, merchant tire, NTB, ect...) do not have this software.

OK, why is this important? I'll tell ya why- the weak point on the TDi engine is the timing belt, even the most current version of the belt is only good for 90K miles. When the belts are pushed beyond that, they break and when they break, if you are having a good day it will only wipe out the entire cylinder head but most of the time the broken valves will also take out pistons with them basically destroying a $6500 engine. Here's where documented service work is so important- the correct way of doing a TDi timing belt involves using a factory quality belt which are made by Continental, they are not cheap ( as in inexpensive!) along with the belt there is a bunch of one time use hardware, a belt tensioner and a water pump , some misc. gaskets and most importantly, the CORRECT coolant, G12. It's a dark reddish/purple color, it doesn't mix with anything else. If you see green generic coolant in the fill bottle, walk away from the car. The electrolysis damage is already going on inside of the cylinder head from using the wrong stuff.

If you see a TDi car and you notice a 'quicky lube' style sticker on the windshield, walk away from the car. Quick change oil shops don't use the correct spec'd oil, the turbo is pressure fed and kills the wrong oil in a matter of hours. The turbos impeller shaft will bang around in the bearings and cause metallic flakes to get passed around inside of the engine, the damage will be fatal.

I share this info with you based on my personal experience from being a prior VW service tech and as someone who did a LOT of TDi repairs on the side, mostly buying destroyed cars from people who cheaped out and had a uninformed 'mechanic' hack who would buy the cheapest POS timing belt from autozone, incorrectly install it, not get the pump timing reset because they didn't have the software, fill the crank case with the wrong oil, fill the cooling system with the wrong coolant and ruin the engine, them blame VW for making a crap car. A proper timing belt job is in the $600-$700 range when the correct parts are used, this is something that any owner will keep a receipt of because of the cost involved and the importance of having the service performed.
That is GREAT advice! Thanks for taking the time to explain it all to me!
I don't have any history on the belt and I don't have any special tools to do the job. So I should start saving to have the dealership replace it?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

I have some more questions that I asked in the TDIclub
You can follow if you'd like here: First time maintenance questions - TDIClub Forums

I also had another old thread here:buying a "new" TDI this morning....is it a good deal? - TDIClub Forums

Old 02-09-2012, 05:53 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by Copedawg
That is GREAT advice! Thanks for taking the time to explain it all to me!
I don't have any history on the belt and I don't have any special tools to do the job. So I should start saving to have the dealership replace it?
Yes, you definitely want to know the mileage on the t-belt and related components. I'd suggest joining the TDiclub.com and search around on the site, they list garages and individuals who are known to do the t-belt service correctly, avoid having the stealership do ANYTHING to the TDi engine, they seem to be the worst culprits for botching up timing belt jobs. ( VW flat rate doesn't pay enough hours to dot the job correctly, so techs take many horrible short cuts) There's a few guys around Baltimore that do a perfect job, they generally work out of their own garages because they are full techs. There's also 'Rocketchip' up near York PA who does TDi tuning, you would be amazed at the kind of performance you can get from the 1.9 TDi engine without it effecting the mileage at all. This thread is making me miss my old 2000 TDi Jetta.