Print Wikipost

Tongue weight capacity

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:00 PM
michaeloac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tongue weight capacity

I need some more help, does anybody have any idea what the max tongue weight is for a 2012 4x4 screw with the EB and max tow pkg. I talked to the dealer and all he could tell me was the bumper weight. I am buying a trailer that has a tongue weight of approx 950 lbs and want to ensure that it won't have any problems. Which brings me to my next question, with the max tow I think it has sway control, but since I will be towing around 8500 lbs do I need more than that and if so, what? Thanks for the advice and opinions, Mike

Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Not for sure what hitch they come with, but any class 3/4 hitch would be good to 1000lbs with a weight-distributing hitch.

A lot of class 4 hitches are good to 1000lbs Weight Carrying.

sorry, i can't be more help than that, but you should be able to tow it no matter what hitch is on there.

with that much tounge weight, i would think you would want a weight distributing hitch whether it is required or not. I would think it would ride and handle a lot better with the torsion bars hooked up.

just my thoughts.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 PM
jimmyb08SD
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a sticker on the hitch itself with the max capacities of the hitch, then you also need to know your payload for the truck. You definitely need a Wd hitch setup with a good sway control system, I would not rely on an electronic sway control only! I have a Dual cam type system on mine and I turn the electronic system off, I dont care much for it and it uses braking for control, which has to effect gas mileage. If you have both systems you can experiment with it and see how it feels best to you, both on or only mechanical. Remember if the electronic fails the mechanical system will still be working just fine. Otherwise the trailer weight should not be any problem. You can get your max payload number off the yellow tire sticker in the drivers door jamb.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:52 AM
cgartly
Senior User
My understanding of the max payload is basically the maximum weight the truck can carry, stuff in the box, passengers in the cab and I imagine fuel. I'm sure the manufactures calculate payload with an empty tank to bolster the numbers. 36gal = 216 lbs.

The number I'm interested to play with is gawr (Gross Axle Weight Rating). I'm not sure what the rear axle is rated for but would be interested to know if you put 1000 lb's of tongue weight, it has to add more than 1000 lb's of weight to the rear axle as it would be removing some weight from the front axle. I know this from doing weight and balances on aircraft. I'm just not good enough with the numbers to figure out the moments and arm's etc to calculate it.

Anyone here ever done it?

Old 02-03-2012, 05:21 AM
michaeloac
Senior User
Thanks for the info, I will definitely be getting a wd hitch but are you saying that the anti sway that comes with the max tow is not enough?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Ford8502
More Turbo
Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by michaeloac
Thanks for the info, I will definitely be getting a wd hitch but are you saying that the anti sway that comes with the max tow is not enough?
I believe you are "required" to use a WD hitch for anything above 5000lbs.
As the others have said, check the yellow sticker in the drivers door pillar for the payload of that truck. That is what's left of the GVWR after the base truck weight plus all the options on that particular truck are subtracted from it. every truck is different depending on packages and options. The payload is figured to include one 150 lb driver and a full tank of fuel. Everything else you add to the cab, bed, or hitch has to be subtracted to get your remaining payload.
After doing the math, you'll see how close you are to the payload, and why so many get the max tow package at the least, and some get the HD payload package too.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 AM
meborder
Originally Posted by cgartly
My understanding of the max payload is basically the maximum weight the truck can carry, stuff in the box, passengers in the cab and I imagine fuel. I'm sure the manufactures calculate payload with an empty tank to bolster the numbers. 36gal = 216 lbs.

The number I'm interested to play with is gawr (Gross Axle Weight Rating). I'm not sure what the rear axle is rated for but would be interested to know if you put 1000 lb's of tongue weight, it has to add more than 1000 lb's of weight to the rear axle as it would be removing some weight from the front axle. I know this from doing weight and balances on aircraft. I'm just not good enough with the numbers to figure out the moments and arm's etc to calculate it.

Anyone here ever done it?
yep!
I did this with my explorer, and for every 100lbs you put on the ball, 20lbs transfer from the front axle to the rear axle. IOW, if you put 100lbs on the ball, you put 120 on the rear axle. and the front end gets 20lbs lighter.

if i get time some day i might write a spreadsheet to just input numbers and let it crunch it out.

Post up your Wheel base and your distance from the center of the rear axle to the trailer ball and ill run the numbers.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 AM
michaeloac
Senior User
Mike, thanks for the info, I don't have the truck yet, just ordered it yesterday. It is a screw with the 6.5 ft bed if that helps.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
meborder
so i built a spreadsheet that will do the math for you given the wheel base and overhang.

I also have a section that will calculate for a goosneck/5th wheel. (although, it is not really all that helpfull, all but a few pounds go to the rear axle on a goosneck)

I'd post it up for everyone if i knew how, but i can't figgure it out.

mods? any help?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:40 AM
cgartly
Senior User
Originally Posted by meborder
so i built a spreadsheet that will do the math for you given the wheel base and overhang.

I also have a section that will calculate for a goosneck/5th wheel. (although, it is not really all that helpfull, all but a few pounds go to the rear axle on a goosneck)

I'd post it up for everyone if i knew how, but i can't figgure it out.

mods? any help?
That's awesome! I can't wait to see it.

My thought has always been that if you put max payload in the box only that you would probably come close to exceed maximum GAWR for the rear axle but I don't have any evidence to back it up.

I've ordered a 2012 F150 Screw 4x4 EB with max tow and the heaviest trailer I will tow is an old 26' travel trailer that weighs about 7000 lbs.

When it is closer to camping season I plan on dragging the trailer to a scale to get some actual weights.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 PM
meborder
just as a pretty close guess:

i figgured 53 inches of overhang from the center of the rear axle to the ball. Ford lists 49 inches to the back of the bumper, and i figgured another 4 for the ball mount.

so with the 156.5" wheel base, for every 100lbs of hitch weight, 34 lbs transfers from the front axle to the rear axle. so for every hundred lbs on the ball, your rear axle gains 134lbs and your front axle gets 34lbs lighter.

for the 144.5" wheel base, it is 37lbs of weight transfer per hundred on the hitch.

the 125.0 wheel base is 42lbs of weight transfer per hundred on the hitch.

the 163.1" wheel base is 32 lbs of weight transfer per hundred on the hitch.

i think that's all of the configurations.

im such a friggin number nerd ....

Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
To the OP. The maximum tongue weight on the receiver hitch that comes with an F150 is 500 pounds. It goes up to the max of 1100 pounds is a weight distributing hitch is used. The receiver is not a weight distributing hitch. If you are at 950 pounds of tongue, you need a WDH, period.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM
treblaer
Freshman User
I completely agree with Smokewagun. A good WDH is required if you go over 500 lbs on the stock receiver hitch.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM
michaeloac
Senior User
Thanks to all, I will be getting a good WDH when I get the trailer. I just wanted to make sure that the rear axle wasn't dragging while the front was off the ground LOL