Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Testing Smart Junction Box - 2005 Escape Limited

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 AM
sk8rgll
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Testing Smart Junction Box - 2005 Escape Limited

Hello,

I had to take my 2005 Escape Limited (3.0L, FWD) into the shop this weekend, because I was having issues with my rear wiper working intermittently. They said that I have a bad rear wiper relay, but recommended replacing the entire smart junction box. My extended warranty would not cover this (of course).

How can I check to see if I actually need to replace this entire box or if it just needs a new relay. I know the smart junction box has the relay built in, but I assume I can just replace that relay? I just want to make sure they weren't trying to pull one over on me.

I plan to replace this myself (if possible). Any links on how to reprogram/replace it would be great.

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If the rear wiper switch is built into the turn signal stalk like mine, I would almost say it is that but that is just my experience. The SJB has to be programmed at the dealer.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
sk8rgll
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. The weird thing is that mine will work if I turn on the rear window defroster. After about 5-10 seconds of that running, the wiper will start working. If you turn the defroster off the wiper stops working 5-10 seconds later.

So, If I am understanding you correctly. You are saying this is not a part that I would be able to replace (smart junction box), because I would not be able to reprogram it.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
sk8tr ... you can physically replace the SJB, but will have a hard time duplicating exactly the programming inside which is dependent upon the original equipment installed. The SJB does things such as auto door locks, auto power window down, interior lights, and accessory power for radio & windows after the key is turned to off.
If you can find a used one from a recycler, and match what you have equipment-wise, you may not need to have any programming done.
I thought the relays, some anyways, were plugged into the SJB, but would not bet my paycheck.
tom

Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomw
sk8tr ... you can physically replace the SJB, but will have a hard time duplicating exactly the programming inside which is dependent upon the original equipment installed. The SJB does things such as auto door locks, auto power window down, interior lights, and accessory power for radio & windows after the key is turned to off.
If you can find a used one from a recycler, and match what you have equipment-wise, you may not need to have any programming done.
I thought the relays, some anyways, were plugged into the SJB, but would not bet my paycheck.
tom
I think that the turn signal blinker relay isn't on the inside of the SJB.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Bill, I don't think I mentioned the turn signal blinker/relay, so am lost as to the reference. What I was trying to say was that some relays are plugged into the SJB, as in removable and replaceable individually, or are stand off and wired into the SJB from diagrams I have seen.
From an economic point, it would make no sense to have the relays embedded in the SJB as the equipment level would vary across the product mix, and you'd waste a lot of relays that would not be connected to anything.
I think examining at the SJB for evidence of water damage would be a good idea. If the rear wiper has 'lost its power' but can get power from the rear defroster, I'd say wires are crossed or corroded... Something is energizing the wiper, but not its original source.
The power distribution PDF files I looked at don't show a logical way the defroster power can enable the wiper. Missing grounds can power stuff from the 'wrong end' of a circuit sometimes...
tom