Sponsored by:

Turn Signal "Sticks ON" / Found the Cure

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turn Signal "Sticks ON" / Found the Cure

My 2005 Excursion had an intermittent problem. Occasionally, the blinker would stay "on" and would not blink.

The shop manual diagnostic chart led me to replace the "multifunction switch" (turn signal stalk) at a cost of over $130. I also inspected the wire cable under the steering column cover and wrapped it in electrical tape where it could possibly chafe. This "fix" did not work.

Finally, I realized that this condition never occurred right after starting the truck. It only occurred after the blinker had been used a few times. In other words, it appeared that something was getting hot.

I purchased and replaced the "flasher relay". This relay was very hard to locate. It is in the dash behind the radio. It is blue, but it resides with another relay inside a black plastic box about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Problem solved. The new flasher relay has been in for over 8 weeks without a recurrence of the problem.

The part number is 5C3Z-13350-AA. Description is "Relay - Direct". I paid $31.12 plus tax.

Last edited by Forest; 01-23-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Napa also has the flasher EL-27, I believe. I replaced mine thinking it would fix my trailer light problem. Turns out that the factory had crossed the ground wire in the trailer.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well at least you use your turn signal. Seems to be becoming more and more rare. I think that it is either laziness or lack of coordination on the modern drivers part. Thank you from the rest of the "Users" and thanks for posting the fix.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TrdLtly
Well at least you use your turn signal. Seems to be becoming more and more rare. I think that it is either laziness or lack of coordination on the modern drivers part. Thank you from the rest of the "Users" and thanks for posting the fix.
LOL - I agree with you 1000%.
Plus it's hard while texting & eating to have a free hand for the turn signal.

I tell folks "modern luxury cars are so expensive, nobody buys the optional turn signals any more".

My wife even points out cars that "didn't buy the optional turn signals".

Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Forest
My 2005 Excursion had an intermittent problem. Occasionally, the blinker would stay "on" and would not blink.

The shop manual diagnostic chart led me to replace the "multifunction switch" (turn signal stalk) at a cost of over $130. I also inspected the wire cable under the steering column cover and wrapped it in electrical tape where it could possibly chafe. This "fix" did not work.

Finally, I realized that this condition never occurred right after starting the truck. It only occurred after the blinker had been used a few times. In other words, it appeared that something was getting hot.

I purchased and replaced the "flasher relay". This relay was very hard to locate. It is in the dash behind the radio. It is blue, but it resides with another relay inside a black plastic box about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Problem solved. The new flasher relay has been in for over 8 weeks without a recurrence of the problem.

The part number is 5C3Z-13350-AA. Description is "Relay - Direct". I paid $31.12 plus tax.
i am also going through this dilema.....replaced the stalk as well and it still happens......cant for the life of me find the relay but ill go look behind the radio now.....thanks......

Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyF-350psd
i am also going through this dilema.....replaced the stalk as well and it still happens......cant for the life of me find the relay but ill go look behind the radio now.....thanks......
Sorry, I did not take any pictures. You may be able to get to it by removing the "bag holder hook". I think it is below radio and toward driver side. Use a bright flashlight to look for this black plastic relay holder.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Here is a link to a thread by nomad27 on fuel pump relay that shows a photo of the blue flasher. Hope this helps.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-location.html

Old 01-23-2012, 06:36 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Originally Posted by Forest
Sorry, I did not take any pictures. You may be able to get to it by removing the "bag holder hook". I think it is below radio and toward driver side. Use a bright flashlight to look for this black plastic relay holder.
im already holding it in my hand.....took out my radio since im putting a new kenwood in.....i have searched and searched to find this thing off and on for about 5 months......never saw that little black cigarette box by looking up from the floor......reps to you......i appreciate it....

Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Forest, reps bro, good thread!

Now take out your radio again and take some pictures!

Stewart

Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Forest, reps bro, good thread!

Now take out your radio again and take some pictures!

Stewart
ill get some pics up in the morning....i even took out the whole dash bezel......

Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
You're a good guy, Bill!

Stewart

Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
granted this is in my F350 not my X they are both super duty platforms so they are the same.......the description of the black box being the size of a pack of cigarettes is right on.....the other way to best describe the location of this black box is right next to the factory harness for the brake controller under the dash towards the passenger side of the harness plug......here are the pics to help you.......

im a bit of a demolition expert so i wanted a good view and took out the whole dash bezel.......

under the "P" is where the cigarette box is.......

here is the box right next to the factory harness for the brake controller.......

this is the black box cover.......

and these are the relays......the blue one is the factory ford and the black one is the replacement from carquest....14 bucks......

hope this helps.....

Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Picture reps! Picture reps!

I'd hit you Bill, unfortunately I gotta spread more before I can buddy!

Stewart

Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Got 'em for ya Stewart

Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
i dont know if forest noticed but the new relay is LOUD!

edit: thanks for the reps fellas.......

Quick Reply: Turn Signal "Sticks ON" / Found the Cure