Notices

Raptor Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 PM
nkenney
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raptor Fuel Economy

Okay so I will be in the market for a new car or truck in a few months. I really like raptors and could get a good deal on one my dealer will give me 2 to 3k atleast off msrp. But the mileage sucks is the raptor I have a 2005 ford expedition I will be keeping for winter and what ever car I get will be for summer and fun. Is there a way to improve the mpg thats why I am looking for something besides just the expy. Or is there any cars you think I should look at I am only 17 will be 18 in Dec. I got a big pay out that I can use once I turn 18 and want a fun car. Also I love fords but doesn't have to be I am not a traitor but I like Chevy's and Rams. My brother just traded in his 2006 Silverado for a 2012 dodge ram express. It has to be a american brand

Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Use your payout for school or university.

There is NOTHING you can do to a Raptor or any other vehicle of it's size and weight to improve fuel economy.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 PM
nkenney
Junior User
Yeah I know I am graduating early I will be going to school but I will have extra money even if I have to pay for the whole thing. I also am even open to charger challengers camaro and all of them. I was thinking about making my expedition nicer but it already has some rust from northern Mi. So decide to get something else to tinker on.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont waste the money on a "Fun Car", trust me I've been there.... Been regretting not putting it away or using it on school ever since...

Old 01-20-2012, 02:41 PM
rwdfan
Senior User
Likewise. I regretted buying an 06 Mustang GT when I turned 21. Go to school, maybe buy a clean vehicle you can use as a project car if you get the inkling, but dont make it something super expensive! Trust me, you might look cool for the time being, but what about when that vehicle loses its novelty and you want to buy something newer/nicer? You will be wishing you had a better education to get you a better job to pay for that nicer car. It also sucks having a gas hog when going through school, get something with better fuel economy than an Expedition or a Raptor. Just my .02 cents.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by nkenney
Yeah I know I am graduating early I will be going to school but I will have extra money even if I have to pay for the whole thing. I also am even open to charger challengers camaro and all of them. I was thinking about making my expedition nicer but it already has some rust from northern Mi. So decide to get something else to tinker on.
OK, if you are set for school and have cash to burn, then an upgrade might not be a bad idea. First, forget forget a rusty Expedition--or anything rusty. Expeditions are like sand at the beach. Besides, you need a barge like that for school?

Next, what do you really want to drive? SUV, truck, car? Medium or large?

Where are you going to school? Snow country or sun country?

I had a $500 Mustang in school, and it worked fine sun or snow.

As for:

Chargers: Nice car, 4 door, gas hog with big motor.
Challenger: Just as fat and heavy as the Charger, but nice looking car and a little roomy compared to Mustang and Camaro.
Camaro: Based on sitting in one for 30 seconds at the auto show, and looking at them, I'm not a fan of the high sides and short windows. Closed in feeling to follow.
Mustang: Any '05 to present V8 would be a fine ride IMO.

As for trucks, only the Ranger is nominally US in a size other than "Forrestall Class" from Ford. Dakota's are big and gas hogs. 4 cylinder Chev/GMC Colorado/Canyon are, as with all 4 cylinders of that type, a bit gutless and they are, of course, GM products.... Their 5 cylinder is a gas hog.

You want a 4x4?

I'm droning on here, but think about it some more before you lay out any loot. The Expy run ok? Run it into the ground and invest the money--that's an idea.....

Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM
nkenney
Junior User
Yeah i take all of your opinions sincerely. But I just am itching for a second car the expys fun but hate dirty cars how I hate winter. I am in Michigan now but will be going to sacremento for school. My brother has a ram express love it thinking car or truck no SUV already have a tank in my driveway. Well okay a tank of a truck a 2012 dodge ram 2500 mega cab is what I was thinking.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:54 PM
rwdfan
Senior User
As someone who LIVES in California, I moved here from Oklahoma. The investment of an automobile here is extreme, insurance tripled on my Mustang GT when I moved here while I was 21. Went from 130ish to almost 400 a month! I had a clean record by the way. Gas is 4$ a gallon, registration is super expensive (400 for my PSD last year), and everything is super expensive in general. Just a tip on expenses from someone who knows and has been there, or here for that matter. Good advice on the breakdown of the cars. If you had 20k to burn, go for a charger, nice power, good looks, cheaper insurance due to 4 door, 10k I would get a clean mid 90's mustang v8 and mod it, 5k get a quality clean car of nearly any type with decent miles and put some sporty rims and speakers in it...be done with it.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
If you are coming out to Sacto, size it up once you get here. That way you have a CA car and don't have to fool around with registration and smog rules on bringing a car here. (you would probably be exempt, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now) Sacto is HOT. Did I say HOT? You need something reflective with a massive AC system THAT WORKS.

And yes, things are more expensive here insurance and registration wise. BUT the cars are pretty much rust free and there is a massive selection.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:07 PM
punkrockpilot
Senior User
sounds like he already made up his mind to get something new, cool and expensive. Hes young and dumb and will eventually learn that he made a bad decision. I sure know I wouldnt have listened to anybody if I had some money to burn. Lets just be happy he doesnt want to go out and get a crotch rocket that will kill him!

Have fun with the Raptor, it looks like a great truck and I would love to have one. Post some pics when you get it.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 AM
nkenney
Junior User
Originally Posted by punkrockpilot
sounds like he already made up his mind to get something new, cool and expensive. Hes young and dumb and will eventually learn that he made a bad decision. I sure know I wouldnt have listened to anybody if I had some money to burn. Lets just be happy he doesnt want to go out and get a crotch rocket that will kill him!

Have fun with the Raptor, it looks like a great truck and I would love to have one. Post some pics when you get it.
Hi sorry if I sound stuck up I am not. I will of course look for a used one of whatever I decide on. But up here its pretty slim pickings and usally for a small difference maybe 2k. You can get a brand new one.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
punkrockpilot
Senior User
You dont sound stuck up, just like a typical kid who wants something new and shiny. I know where youre coming from, you want what you want and the last thing you need is somebody talking you out of it. We all learn from our mistakes, hopefully it works out for you and doesnt become too much of a financial burden. I know this from experience, I too had a toy that I just dumped so much money into when i was a kid, and now I just look back and call myself a ******* for doing so. Oh well, I had fun and learned a valuable lesson on balancing my budget.
But if you do get the Raptor..... i must insist on posting some pics.... I love those trucks!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM
nkenney
Junior User
Yeah I for sure will if I do get a raptor. I am really looking at the dodge rams price is pretty good. I might even decide to buy a 04 or 05 excursion or maybe even nothing and just get a quad and trailer. Just hate my rusted out POS.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 AM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's like buying a 429 BOSS for gas mileage. It's a toy, not supposed to get good mileage.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
nkenney
Junior User
I know lol just wanted to see because love them but would atleast like the mpgs of my expedition. I am thinking a vehicle with active fuel mangment. Do f150 have that or is that only a chevy and dodge thing.

Quick Reply: Raptor Fuel Economy