Sponsored by:

Loose Sway Bar???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 PM
simplyrob
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose Sway Bar???

When accelerating from a stop, I get a clunking sound from the front end. I took some pics of the sway bar and I think it maybe loose. There is a gap between the bolt between the bar. Is this normal, or can I tighten it with the X on the ground or does it have to be up on a lift to properly tighten?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 PM
tjblair
Junior User
Tighten it up!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Rob,

Definitely try to tighten it first, that won't cost you anything. Sure looks like a worn out bushing to me though. I seem to remember the bushing sticking out from the metal some and then the bolt staying in contact with the bushing instead. It's been almost five years since I did my end links, so I don't remember exactly.

If you do them, I'd recommend doing the other main bushings that hold the sway bar on too.

If the end links don't solve it, I'd say it's something with the driveshaft. But considering the axle tilts side to side and the sway bar has to also, I think the bushings are gone.

PS, got your pics from your profile...

Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 PM
simplyrob
Junior User
OK, I just got the pics up. Can I tighten them while it's on the ground? They do look loose right?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Mine did the same thing and I git new bushings from energy suspension Energy Suspension Parts Dealer, Specializing in Energy Suspension Bushings Suspension Components. took care of all my bumps and knocks. Common problem it's an easy and not too expensive fix. Good stuff.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM
simplyrob
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
Mine did the same thing and I git new bushings from energy suspension Energy Suspension Parts Dealer, Specializing in Energy Suspension Bushings Suspension Components. took care of all my bumps and knocks. Common problem it's an easy and not too expensive fix. Good stuff.
Any instructions you can give me? Part numbers? It seems straight forward but I'm thinking it needs to be up on a lift to do that?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It would help to jack it up on both sides under the frame to stretch the suspension out- wouldn't have as much strain on the bolts then when you try to tighten them.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 PM
simplyrob
Junior User
Is it these two parts?

Front Sway Bar End Link Kit
Part Number: MOOG-K80043
Manufacturer: MOOG

Front Sway Bar Frame Bushings
Part Number: MOOG-K80202
Manufacturer: MOOG

Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by simplyrob
Any instructions you can give me? Part numbers? It seems straight forward but I'm thinking it needs to be up on a lift to do that?
To be honest I can't remember how I did it.. But I am pretty dumb haha, I think you can do it with a floor jack and a few beers. Seriously it can't be hard if I did it.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

You 2wd or 4x4?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
simplyrob
Junior User
It's a 2WD which should be easier, I would think?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
...not sure I follow on the need to lift the truck a bit.

So long as the truck is level left-to-right, there should be no tension on the bar, right? I mean, it works by the angle of the axle in relation to the frame, so if they are both at the same angle, no tension should exist. That bolt can't be under too much tension when level - its designed to allow the axle to move up and down with the suspension.

...or am I temporarily insane?

I ask this because I swapped my sway bar links on my Excursion without any kind of lifting at all, and there was no tension on the bolts other than the expected tension from being fully against the bushings.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 PM
simplyrob
Junior User
Thanks for the reply Robert, I have never taken a wrench to this beast ever, so I don't want to mess anything up. I'm looking for info on how to best do this with the least amount of effort and blood draw

Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by simplyrob
Thanks for the reply Robert, I have never taken a wrench to this beast ever, so I don't want to mess anything up. I'm looking for info on how to best do this with the least amount of effort and blood draw
I'd like if someone can correct me if I'm wrong...but I don't see how it needs raised at all. The whole idea of how the sway bar works is the 'twisting' action...the outer ends are attached at the truck (via the stabilizer connecting arms that you have a bad bushing on) and again inside of those points to the axle.

If the axle angle differs from the frame angle, the sway bar exerts force to try to 'straighten' itself, counteracting the roll motion of the body.

So long as you are on a flat surface, your truck should sit level left-to-right and not apply any twisting force on those bolts. If you were to tighten those bolts so much that they 'pinched' the sway bar links it would make it harder for the suspension to open and close.

The only way I can see tension being on those bolts would be if the truck was not level left to right or if there was another mount point on the axle, making the sway bar a load bearing component. Sway bars are not meant to carry the load of the truck, only prevent roll.

If I'm wrong guys, chime in.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 930 Likes on 678 Posts
One good way to tell since you're already down there on your back is remove the bolt to the sway bar and let 'her hang down while you drive around town. See if you still hear the noise.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Loose Sway Bar???