1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

French Lake Auto Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
French Lake Auto Parts

I just went to this junkyard the last couple of weeks to find parts for my '58. Here are some pictures of what they have for the Fridge trucks. All I really took were some small brackets a seat back, horn button, and a window regulator, all for under $100.

There are 1 '57's, 3 '58's, and 3 '59's. So anyone in the MN (Twin Cities) area there are still some pretty good parts to be had yet. There is a greater selection on the '61-66 Ford pickups. I would have shot some pictures of them but when I was there on Sat. there was a group of 3-4 guys picking parts from those trucks. They were constantly going back and forth between all of them looking at this and that. They had the hoods open on all of them.

The old cars are endless, most are 60's and earlier, there is a lot of the 40's and 50's.

French Lake Auto Parts pictures by messy_guyz - Photobucket

Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 585 Likes on 525 Posts
What a great yard! I enjoyed the pics. Glad you have something like that near by. There is a yard something like that a couple hours North of me but it is full of trees. The cars have been sitting there so long that it is very hard to see your way around in the summer time with the brush and all.
When I walk down the rows of a yard like that, it reminds me of a cathedral!! I get very reflective!

Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by spurredon
What a great yard! I enjoyed the pics. Glad you have something like that near by...
When I walk down the rows of a yard like that, it reminds me of a cathedral!! I get very reflective!
I had a Great time walking around the yard. It was my 3rd time there but the 1st time I walked around in the car section. I have only gone on Saturdays so they are only open from 8-1 so I am usually in a rush to find and get parts off so I just didn't have the time to roam around the previous 2 times. But this last time it was a much easier going parts hunt. I honestly had as much fun there as I did at some car shows in the past.

As for nearby it's not to bad 3 1/2 hr drive for me. Much better than the 7 hr drive to Grand Forks ND. I drove up there twice, both on a 1 day trip. 1st trip left home 2am got there 9:30am was there until 6:00pm stopped on Fargo for an hour drove until 10:00pm slept for 1/2 hr at rest stop and drove until 4:00am next morning when I got home. I was back up and at work at around 8:00am that morning, up all day and then went to a local race track that night. I figured out of 40-45 hrs I only slept about 3 1/2-4 hrs. I still can't believe I was able to do that. The second trip was kind of the same there 9:30am left 12:00pm (2 1/2 hrs later) and back home at about 7:30-8:00pm that same night. That was a lot of driving, 900 mile round trip.

The junkyard I went to up in ND was Weekly's Auto Parts they had quite a few fridge era trucks lying around to. I do have a few pictures from when I was up there to.

I might add some more pictures to that link in my last post later.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:29 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 585 Likes on 525 Posts
[quote=F-100CustomCabTBC;11296110]I honestly had as much fun there as I did at some car shows in the past.quote]

I would agree with that. Especially when you are at a show where you have to walk by all the trailers that brought the cars into the show. Basically, the junk cars get driven about as much as some show cars! LOL!! Now a cruise in can be a little better but it is truly hard to beat a great junk yard. There is one about 30 mins. for my house that is only Ford trucks. When you walk those rows you think you have died and went to heaven. A few fridges but not much left on them. Still an awsome place to see. He lets his cows wander in between the cars so you have to watch your step but they really keep the weeds down.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:12 PM
bigblockfordman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah yes......good 'ol french lake!.....been out there a half dozen times or so over the years.....great place to get lost in the past!.....most of my trips were also on sat. and your right, does'nt give you a lot of time to look around, in fact I never did see the whole place.....it's just nice to know. that theres still a few places left, that did'nt squash everything!.......
Have'nt been out there in over a decade, since moving to colorado, where there is no "rust".....lol

Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Weeklys Auto Parts pictures by messy_guyz - Photobucket

Here's a link to pictures of the fridge trucks I found at Weekly's Auto Parts. I got some of my best parts there. I got my radiator support, fender skirts from the blue truck without fenders and doors (California truck). I also got my front valance from the green '57 F-350. The only thing is the junkyard is placed on a swamp. Lots of cattails and mud. The '59 with the chrome grill was in about 2 ft of standing water. Some of the cars and trucks I think will be there forever, I don't know how a gut could ever get them out. 50 ft off the beaten path in 2-3 ft of water with how many cars in front of it. I had to do jump car to car a couple of times in order to see a few trucks.

I also added pictures to the French Lake Auto Parts link.

French Lake Auto Parts pictures by messy_guyz - Photobucket

Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Still some good yards in NW Washington. Years back a fellow truck lover and neighbor told me he got so excited finding his needed parts off some old truck that he suddenly found the need to relieve himself out behind an old dump truck. Having no t.p. at hand, he tore out part of the headliner in some old chevy...... It wasn't me, really. But I can relate. And what is a 'car show'?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:41 PM
53 tonner
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I made my first, and maybe last trip to French Lake Auto in October. I called ahead to see if they had brake drums for my '53 f-350. They called back & said they checked & did have them. I dropped what I was doing to drive a couple hours to get there. After looking at the truck they said was a f-350 (for 15 seconds), I told them it was an f-250. The drums aren't the same. No apology, no help in locating some at another yard. They have lots of great old cars & trucks, but that was frustrating.

I grew up about 35 miles from Weekley's in Grand Forks. There is also Swangler's, and there used to be Ron's outside of East Grand Forks. All three yard owners were family members. They have been in the businees for many years and have lots of cars, trucks, and stories.