Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Serpentine Belt Change Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Serpentine Belt Change Video

I had my fan and shroud off to replace my LPOP with a Melling unit so I decided to video a how to on the serpentine belt. Throughout the years I have seen the question asked many times on how to change it. I think it seems much easier to have a video showing the process and how to make it easier to change.

Here it is, enjoy and please pass it along to others.

Serpentine Belt R&R - YouTube

Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Ken. I didn't know about that little clip to hold the pulley. I will look this afternoon at mine.

Reps for sure.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

I have found many people that didn't know about the clip. It really makes it easy to do when used.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My OEM tensioner assembly had one, but the Gates replacement did not. Most vehicles don't have one, but I sure does come in handy when it does.
Thanks for the video, Ken.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
MiamiPSD
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Great job Ken............

Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice! Thanks for posting.

Only one of my three trucks has that little clip but it is nice to have. I always put the belt on wrong and have to look at the little picture again. Seems like I would have figured it out by now but I guess it's one of those mental blocks in my mind that just can't get it right the first time.

I changed the bearings in the three pulleys on my wife's truck last Saturday since they were starting to squeak. At first I messed up on the tensioner and reversed the locations of the grooved and smooth pulleys....that sure had me confused for a minute or two. Turned a 30 minute job into 45 but I was still done in time for lunch.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the video! Reps.....I'm going to check for that clip when I get home....quick hijack question, I see the Gates upper hose which I have waiting to install...Can that be installed without having to drain any coolant?

Old 01-11-2012, 02:13 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've seen the clip before (when i was looking for a rattle noise) but didnt know what it was for.....now i know!!!! thanks!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:54 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Rose Clifford
Thanks for the video! Reps.....I'm going to check for that clip when I get home....quick hijack question, I see the Gates upper hose which I have waiting to install...Can that be installed without having to drain any coolant?

You will lose coolant when replacing the hose. If you are really quick and have a helper you can do it and only lose a small amount. You are best to drain the radiator and that will help control the loss. Or do it at a coolant change.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Had to go searching, but I figured my post from a few years ago would be a good addition for this thread too.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Accessory Drive— 7.3L Diesel Engine Single Generator

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="70%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom>Item</TH><TH vAlign=bottom>Part Number</TH><TH vAlign=bottom>Description</TH><TR vAlign=top><TD>1 </TD><TD>19D629 </TD><TD>A/C Compressor</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>2 </TD><TD>19A216 </TD><TD>Idler Pulley (Without A/C)</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>3 </TD><TD>19A216 </TD><TD>Belt Idler Pulley</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>4 </TD><TD>10300 </TD><TD>Generator</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>5 </TD><TD>3D673 </TD><TD>Power Steering Pump Pulley</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>6 </TD><TD>8A528 </TD><TD>Water Pump Pulley</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>7 </TD><TD>6312 </TD><TD>Crankshaft Pulley</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>8 </TD><TD>6B209 </TD><TD>Drive Belt Tensioner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Accessory Drive —7.3L Diesel Engine Dual Generator

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="70%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom>Item</TH><TH vAlign=bottom>Part Number</TH><TH vAlign=bottom>Description</TH><TR vAlign=top><TD>1 </TD><TD>19D629 </TD><TD>A/C Compressor</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>2 </TD><TD>19A216 </TD><TD>Belt Idler Pulley</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>3 </TD><TD>10300 </TD><TD>Generator</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>4 </TD><TD>3D673 </TD><TD>Power Steering Pump Pulley</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>5 </TD><TD>8A528 </TD><TD>Water Pump Pulley</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>6 </TD><TD>6312 </TD><TD>Crankshaft Pulley</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>7 </TD><TD>6B209 </TD><TD>Drive Belt Tensioner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Hope you don't mind the coat tail addition, Ken.

Stewart

Old 01-11-2012, 04:19 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Hope you don't mind the coat tail addition, Ken.

Stewart
Reps to you for that! Thanks

Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I didnt know about that clip either. I'll have to look at both of mine when I get back to the states.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for posting, Ken.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodnthings
I had my fan and shroud off to replace my LPOP with a Melling unit so I decided to video a how to on the serpentine belt. Throughout the years I have seen the question asked many times on how to change it. I think it seems much easier to have a video showing the process and how to make it easier to change.

Here it is, enjoy and please pass it along to others.

Serpentine Belt R&R - YouTube

How about a video of how you replaced the LPOP, mine has been leaking for a few months now, and the power steering pump has started leaking REALLY bad lately, I have known it was weak for a year or so, but only had to add 1 quart a year, so I have been holding out and parking in the dirt.... now I have had to fill it up every day or so, so I will be doing both when funds allow.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:15 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robbragiel
I didnt know about that clip either. I'll have to look at both of mine when I get back to the states.
Rob just have your wife take a look to see if they have the clip. LOL Sorry I know that isn't funny I just remember you talking about trying to talk thur something on her truck.

Ken very nice job on the video! Thank you

Stewart thanks for posting routing diagrams.

Greg where did you get the bearing ? Do you have part #'s?

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Change Video