Harmonic Balancer Removal/Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Mario81587
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just have a question about the removal process. I spoke with a technician at Ford and was told that it didn't matter if the crankshaft rotated while I was trying to remove the harmonic balancer bolt. I rotated it a little bit and haven't successfully gotten it off. I ordered a chain wrench to hold it in place and I'm waiting for that to be shipped to me. Did I screw up the timing on the engine by rotating the crankshaft? It's a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V6 (4.0 SOHC). Thank you for any advice.

- Mario
You're fine, no worries.

BTW you're in the entirely wrong forum, you should really ask HERE.

But, welcome to FTE, anyway.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Wyowanderer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BaronVonAutomatc
The tool threads into the crank and uses a spacer/nut to force the balancer into place.
I say respectfully,
It's a nice tool, but absolutely unnecessary for the installation of the balancer. The factory doesn't use one, and I don't either. And I've installed literally dozens of them with the crank bolt, never having had a problem. If you like having the tool and you can afford to buy it, by all means do it. But the only reason you'll need a special tool to install the harmonic balancer on this engine (it has a grade 8 fine thread 3/4 inch bolt-with a tensile strength of 130,000 psi) is if the crank snout or bolt is damaged in the first place.

Here's how I've done my dozens:

I screw the bolt into the crank to make sure the threads are good, and if they're not I deal with that first.
Put a tiny amount of silicone sealant inside the balancer hole and a little sealer on the crank snout where the woodruff key (some cranks have just a regular key) is in it. These two bits of sealant will keep it engine oil from leaking past the snout/crank interface,and was done at the factory. Use caution to use a TINY amount- you don't need much, and any extra that gets inside the engine will do more harm than an oil leak.

Line up the balancer onto the clean crankshaft, tap the center of the balancer with a soft blow hammer, and screw in the bolt with the washer on it until it bottoms out. Tighten the bolt up, check the torque, and you're done.

Now I don't intend to minimize what BVA says. We have different opinions, that's all.
Naturally, mine is right

Old 02-09-2020, 11:31 AM
Dan Quesada
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harmonic Balancer bolt

Hey all,

To remove the bolt with all of the internals taken out, pistons, rods, etc, what's the easiest way? I don't have an impact, but I could get one. I was thinking of ratchet strapping to both sides of the bed of my truck and using a breaker bar. Also to remove it, clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks for all the help.

Dan

Old 02-09-2020, 12:30 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
I just did mine a few weeks ago.

Put in 2 of the flywheel/flexplate bolts into the back of the crankshaft. Then, slide and brace a crowbar between them.
Stand on the side of the engine and put a long breaker bar with a 15/16" socket onto the harmonic balancer bolt. Pull on one and push on the other, and break it free.