6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

White smoke for 2 miles is NORMAL

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 AM
chi6488
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke for 2 miles is NORMAL

Past few months my truck has been going into regen about every 100 miles or so. When it does kick in if I am at a light it will smoke for two miles and not a little but a lot.

In the past it would blow a burst of smoke at takeoff but now it goes for 2 miles at least.

Anyone having this isssue?? I dropped off at dealer this morning and was told it is NORMAL.

I just reported this to NIIHTSA and now calling ford. EPA is next. This cannot be normal. 18 wheelers don't blow this much smoke. I burned 1/4 tank yesterday dring it 35 miles to get out of regen mode

Old 01-04-2012, 10:19 AM
hunter12
New User
Mine did that....

I was buying premium fuel out our local Sinclair station and never had any trouble. I started getting fuel at our local grocery store for the "point discounts" and noticed what you described.

I went back to the premium fuel and started adding cetane booster and have not seen that problem since....

Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Any loss of coolant anywhere?

Other causes could be an overfueling problem.

Try another dealer. Use Ford cust svc to assist in getting the truck on the computer.

Give a log of your regens and mpg's, time between regens.

Are you making oil?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:03 PM
BigSilly86
Like A Boss!

My regens are around 600 miles empty and 180 miles towing a 11,000# camper, I use a diesel additive (Diesel Kleen) and the one time i ran out and filled up a tank without an additive, the truck blew billowing white smoke during regen for about 2 miles.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Mine does it very predictably especially on cool days <60F ambient. If I come to a stop at a long light while in regen and the exhaust cools down, I'll belch white smoke for the next minute or so. Letting up on the throttle makes no difference.

Dealer says this perfectly normal. There's a TSB for the CAC for white smoke on humid/rainy days but that's a different problem. My smoke is definitely not steam just from the way it dissipates.

A buddy of mine had the same truck as mine, and he was complaining about the same. He videoed himself blowing a smoke screen down the freeway and showed it to his dealer. They said it was perfectly normal too. I posted his video somewhere on one of these forums a while ago. Can't remember where I put it.

My guess is the CAT cooled down so much to be ineffective at burning the regen fuel. Instead, it fizzles like squirting lighter fluid on hot coals.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 AM
Tawn
Senior User
Mine does it to...especially when its cold out.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 AM
chi6488
Senior User
Stopped by wally world and picked up a small bottle and a gallon for dieselkleen with cetane booster.

I will give it a try and see if it helps. I have been busy with work, family, and doing stuff on a ten acre parcel I just purchased. This has taken away time from fishing and camping which requires me to pull a load of 10k lbs or more to work the truck out. If not then it is sad to say a grocery getter doing short trips to work and stuff.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:26 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
DK didn't make any difference for me. It still smokes.

I'm sure I'm going to be pulled over one of these days for excessive emissions.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:12 PM
chi6488
Senior User
Originally Posted by aquaman
DK didn't make any difference for me. It still smokes.

I'm sure I'm going to be pulled over one of these days for excessive emissions.
I am not worried about being pulled over.

I don't believe this is normal b/c the dodge and gm trucks don't smoke. If you google it is only fords. If it is the other two it is b/c cracked dpf not NORMAL like ford would say

It is embarrasing as hell driving a 50k dollar truck and smoking down the road. Sad to say but I think when this truck dies it will be a dodge for me. Chevy's didn't have enough leg room in the back. It might be a while though b/c I only have 46k miles purchased in June 0f 2007. At least it is paid off.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:42 PM
foxtrk2
New User
have the same troublw with my 08 bad white smoke dealer and regional reps basically washed there hands of it say its normal . go tpulled over by cops for polutting what next epa bagging us for this i had th ecomputter adjusted three times and it gets worse even loss 4mpg no running at avg of 12.6 mpg im tradeing for new one in three months

Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 AM
chi6488
Senior User
Here is the email I sent this morning to EPA and also FORD and also I posted on ford's facebook wall

I am an owner of a 2008 Ford F250 Diesel that is blowing a lot of smoke into the air. I have posted on Ford diesel truck forums and it is a common problem but Ford is not willing to address the issue claiming it is normal.

Here are the symptom the truck is polluting the air. The truck has a diesel particulate filter like the GM and Dodge products built 2007-2009. If I am sitting at a long intersection light and the truck decides to go into cleaning mode when taking off it would blow a cloud of white smoke. This happened for the past 4 years. Ford did a new computer update this past spring and now if I am at a long light and the clean mode kicks in the truck will billow white/blue smoke for the next minute or two.

This smoke definitely has to be polluting the air but also it is endangering drivers of other vehicles who are behind me. I am also concerned that I will be cited by law enforcement for having faulty product or air pollution when this happens.

General motors and Dodge have the same system for these model years but their vehicles do not blow this excessive smoke.

I feel that EPA should address this issue with Ford motor company.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
I have had this issue at one time or another with all of my trucks. Since discovering the fuel that I was buying was contaminated(filled my fuel tanks and rail filters with a sticky sludge) and completely stopped buying fuel from that location I have not had the problem again. I am starting to wonder if this problem is a result of crappy fuel quality.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
The real irony here is that if you will remove the EPA mandated equipment (DPF/DOC/EGR) this motor makes very little black smoke and no other colored smoke. The exhausat is much cleaner than my 7.3L was. Once more, we have met the enemy and it is us.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Lookie here
09-16-8*** 6.4L - DIESEL CALIBRATION UPDATES

It's in the '09 list of TSB's but not the '08 or '10 unless I've missed it.

Does anyone know how to see the cal version of our PCM's? I got the first 11B23 a while ago, so how would I/we know if we have the equivalent fix?

Calibration Update Includes:

Diagnostic and malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) operation improvements for DTCs P006B, P2563, P0108, P0234, P1260, U0073, P042E, P042F, P0404, P1335, P041C, P2457, and P2263 set during key on engine running (KOER) self test.
Improvements include revised pressure control valve (PCV) / volume control valve (VCV) learning tables for vehicles that exhibit DTCs P0087 and/or P2291 following replacement of the high pressure pump or major fuel system repairs. Reset the PCV / VCV learning tables and fuel injector parameters with IDS using the clear fuel injector parameters.
Enhancements for vehicles that exhibit white smoke during diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration at ambient temperatures below 55 °F (13 °C).
Improvements to reduce P0544, P2031, P242A, P242B, P2080, P2084 and P117B set on long decelerations after cold start.
Improved cold start drivability for vehicles operated in temperatures below 32 °F (0 °C).
Resolution for vehicles that exhibit a no crank condition, Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM) continuous timer count down due to Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor disconnect Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Pinpoint Test RC 4 key on engine off (KOEO) circuit diagnostics or vehicle battery disconnect.
IDS tool updates for DPF manual regeneration diagnostic testing referenced in PC/ED Pinpoint Test RB.

This calibration also includes the following instrument cluster (IC) message center display update: Clean Exhaust Filter.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM
coolbud
New User
Just fixed...???

Originally Posted by aquaman
Mine does it very predictably especially on cool days <60F ambient. If I come to a stop at a long light while in regen and the exhaust cools down, I'll belch white smoke for the next minute or so. Letting up on the throttle makes no difference.

Dealer says this perfectly normal. There's a TSB for the CAC for white smoke on humid/rainy days but that's a different problem. My smoke is definitely not steam just from the way it dissipates.

A buddy of mine had the same truck as mine, and he was complaining about the same. He videoed himself blowing a smoke screen down the freeway and showed it to his dealer. They said it was perfectly normal too. I posted his video somewhere on one of these forums a while ago. Can't remember where I put it.

My guess is the CAT cooled down so much to be ineffective at burning the regen fuel. Instead, it fizzles like squirting lighter fluid on hot coals.

Mine was going into the regen mode about 250-300 miles, and then the other day it got worse- every 5-10 miles. Nothing would come up on the panel saying it was in regen mode or cleaning exhaust, it would pour out white smoke.
I took it to Ford, and just got a call back and they said it was the catalytic converter....
Thank goodness it was covered under warranty! But the whole regen mode makes me kind of nervous. These trucks blowing smoke has to be a safety, epa, etc. issues.

Quick Reply: White smoke for 2 miles is NORMAL