Whats new!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Whats new!

Hi guys! I've been working on a bunch of new bio projects since we moved into the new house/shop, and thought I'd update everyone.

I've been working on a new way to remove the glycerol MUCH faster than settling overnight. I've found I can remove the glycerol in just a few minutes with high voltage/low amperage DC in my lab. I'm now working on a way to do it in a continuous basis rather than just in batches.

The other system I'm working on is Ultrasonic Transesterification. I got the idea from a good friend that owns a commercial biodiesel plant and has been looking at a commercial design from here: Ultrasonic Processors for Biodiesel Production

It does work in a "batch" system in the lab, and I've ordered the parts to build a continious system for home brewers. It may take me a month or two to get any concrete results, but I will keep everyone informed on my progress!

Stay tuned for updates...........

Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks good, glad to see you're still hard at work.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work Don
I'm ready to build a better processor. I will wait for more reports from you.
Tom

Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Wow! There are still people in this forum..................lol

Thanks guys. I've got a real good feeling on this process. I't could make the process much quicker, and SAFER!

So far I've found 20,000 cycles at about 100 watts works ok with about half of my normal Methoxide mix at about 100 deg. Complete mix and great bio! It was only a 1 gallon batch though. Next is to build a little higher wattage unit (500-1,000 watts) and try it in a tube from one container to another rather than in a batch. If I can get this to work RELIABLY it could change the way we "homebrewers" do things........

Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 AM
luv_mud
Senior User

If anyone can do it I'm sure it will be you. Thanks for the updates and for all the info you share.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Subcribing, wanna see how this goes!

Diesel Rod

Old 02-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Marianna2003
Elder User
Hey fabmandelux, Very interesting. Have you seen the novelty dishes that create fog from water with an untrasonic transducer? Do you think that putting one of these transducers in a tee in a line and flowing the mixture accross the transducer would effect the same result as the article talks about?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
I don't have one to try, but the transducer I do have does work on a small scale. Just waiting on a bigger model I ordered to try on a continious trial.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Marianna2003
Elder User
I think the ultrasonic vaporizers use the same or similar transducer.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 PM
97biostroke
Senior User
How did you end up building your electrostatic separator? I'm in an advanced electronics circuits class right now and would like to tinker with one. From what I've seen they've always been made to fit in a small diameter tube, wondering if anyone built one that can be used in large tanks.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 PM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
The other system I'm working on is Ultrasonic Transesterification. I got the idea from a good friend that owns a commercial biodiesel plant and has been looking at a commercial design from here: Ultrasonic Processors for Biodiesel Production

It does work in a "batch" system in the lab, and I've ordered the parts to build a continious system for home brewers. It may take me a month or two to get any concrete results, but I will keep everyone informed on my progress!

Stay tuned for updates...........
PM me if you have questions regarding troubleshooting the UP's. We used 3 of them in our process at 3.25gpm. Pressure and temperature is SUPER sensitive with these. Also make sure to get the amplifiers, spare O-Rings. If you start these babies without fluid in them it causes lots of damage to the head. Very expensive to replace and just getting a machine shop to fab some titanium heads up for these units just doesn't work. Hielscher would not comment on the propriotary info on how these metals are "Tuned" for the process but did confirm, and we did as well by testing some homemade one's, they are tuned.
Can you mention who you have that is using these? I was under the impression that the plant I formerly worked at/commisioned were the only ones around to have and use these.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Hey Don
Hope all is well with you. How is new process working out? I'm still plugging along making 50 gallons at a time. I'm surprised there isn''t more activity on this forum considering the price of diesel.
Keep in touch
Tom

Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Evening Tom! Still plugging along here. I've completed some work on the new process, but mostly been working on the new house and new shop. I thought when I retired 2 years ago that I'd have more time, but I'm now busy 8 days a week............Maybe I should go back to work so I could have more time to work on projects?

I still haven't been able to figure out why this forum is so dormant. Last time the price of dinodiesel was this high, this forum was smokin..........

Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

I'm going through withdrawl. My sources of oil went out of business and haven't been able to secure new ones yet (although tourist season is starting soon). Hopefully I get back into the groove soon, would be nice to pay a third as much for fuel again...

Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
I get more oil than I need now that I don't have a farm to run. I've got over 4,000 gallons of WVO in tanks just waiting for summer.........

Quick Reply: Whats new!