6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2007 F350 Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:45 AM
countryboy00001
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 F350 Transmission Problems

Major Help Please,
I have a 2007 Ford F350 4x4 Automatic with around 110,000 Miles. I have been having some transmission problems have tried several different things to fix it, however I keep coming up with the same problem. I keep getting different transmission codes. Here are the following codes that I keep getting.

P0751
P0756
P0761
P0766
What started all of this is the transmission not shifting down from 3<SUP itxtNodeId="695" itxtHarvested="0">rd</SUP> to 1<SUP itxtNodeId="694" itxtHarvested="0">st</SUP> when coasting for a ways to a stop. When I would start from a stop the transmission would take a little bit, then down shift. It then started to hesitate in shifting into forward from park. I then changed both filters and the fluid. Since this everything has went downhill. I then started getting a couple transmission codes. The first time I got any codes it was P0766 and P0761. I then got the ford book and tested all the solenoids and found all to be within par according to the ford book, however I did find the internal wiring harness to be out of specs. I cleaned everything up and put everything back together while I waited for the wiring harness to show up. The transmission was doing well for a couple of days then started acting up again. I also noticed that the shifting lever was hard to shift from Drive to Reverse. I pulled everything apart again and changed the wiring harness out. Everything again worked well for a couple of days then started up again. I have noticed that the shifting from Drive to Reverse is getting harder as things progress. I then pulled everything apart again and changed out the shifting rod. The transmission tested good for about 5 miles and now it is worse than it ever has been. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Old 12-31-2011, 09:38 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What type of fluid and filters were used and are you running or ever run a tuner?

Old 12-31-2011, 11:50 AM
countryboy00001
Freshman User
Mercon SP Transmission Fluid
Don’t know what type of filters was on this truck prior to me changing them out. I put Wix filters back on internal and external at the time since this was the only thing that anyone had on hand. Since I have owned the truck, yes it does have a tuner and it is the Edge Evolution. I have only put about 15000 miles on this truck since I have owned it. What was done prior I do not know. I did pull the shifting linkage in the steering column yesterday and replaced it since the bushings were worn out. What happened next leads me to believe that it may be the PCM/TCM. After completing the repairs, started the truck and everything tested fine sitting in the driveway. Shut the truck off and went inside and cleaned up, come back out to take the truck for a test drive. Started the truck up and let everything warm up, put the truck into gear and you could hear the rpm change very little however the truck would not move. This is going forward and reverse. After playing around with the truck for a couple hours, everything started working again. During this process, I did get the Truck to show the Code P0751 twice. I have not taken the truck out for a test drive yet, since I don’t know if it is going to leave me stranded.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:07 PM
cdev
Freshman User
some time back i had some issues with trans shifting the problem was a chafted wire from pcm to trans down below the engine lifting bracket on the frront of the engine this was on an e450

Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Edge among some other tuners have been known to kill the torqueshift tranny.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Are you sure the shifter cable/linkage isn't bent/binded up somewhere? Hard shifting of the lever itself, would seem that somehow or another the cable got FUBARED. That may also be why it want's too stay in third, as it might be stuck inbetween 3rd and drive.

These are my guesses! Hell I dont even know if there is cables/linkages. For all I know the computer does everything.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:51 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
As far as I can see all those codes that you have posted come up as shift silinoids preformance/stuck

If you havent already get rid of the Edge tunner and pray you dont need a new tranny

SCT tunners are the only way to go for the 6.0

P0751
P0756

P0761
P0766

P0751 Shift Solenoid "A" Performance/Stuck Off G*

P0756 Shift Solenoid "B" Performance/Stuck Off

P0761 Shift Solenoid "C" Performance/Stuck Off

P0766 Shift Solenoid "D" Performance/Stuck Off

I dont know if you will just be able to replace all the shift silinoids or what

First thing that I would do is remove the edge tunner and see if that helps

then read thru this it may help your problem

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...eshooting.html

and this one too

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-strategy.html

there were a couple more PDFs on tranney assembly/disassembly I couldnt find them in the tech folder so PM me your email if you want and I will send them to you
they were helpful and had pics of the shift silinoids and stuff

Definatly ccheck for shift lever Binding although dont know if it will help since the shift silinoid is electronic but couldnt hurt

Old 12-31-2011, 09:30 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Originally Posted by 69cj
Edge among some other tuners have been known to kill the torqueshift tranny.
I concur. I have seen it happen on several different occasions, including my own truck early in the 6.0 game. An Edge tuner was the first one I ever ran. When my 5R110 was dying, I had delayed reverse/delayed drive when shifting from park, no codes. Sampled the SP and it had high amounts of wear metals with only 20k on the truck. Sent the trans. to John Wood shortly thereafter. About this time people who were running Edge products to make HP began 'stacking' them with other programmers to control the transmission in an effort to keep the 5R110's alive.

Conversely, a friend had the same delayed reverse/drive symptoms, but it started kicking the solenoid codes like your truck. Again, sampled the fluid, and it contained wear metals (aluminum, iron, copper, lead) in amounts not normally found in trucks with fairly low mileage (about 50k). Shortly thereafter this truck went to John Wood as well. This truck also ran an Edge tuner.

I am not saying your trans. is dead, but it may be worth sampling the fluid to check for wear metal and soluble content.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:50 AM
countryboy00001
Freshman User
I have removed the Edge programmer from the truck and am planning on taking a test drive tomorrow to see what may happen. I do know what was odd was the same day that I changed the filters and oil, the transmission went from have a little problem to doing nothing but falling on its face afterwards with major problems. I was also starting to lean towards the programmer being a problem since after I changed the shift cable with the truck being in stock mode, tested it in the drive way and the truck shifted fine. Then I reprogrammed the truck and then the truck would not move at all. I since then took it back to stock mode and after playing with it for a little bit, the truck started moving again. I also had someone tell me that low batteries maybe playing a part in this since they have been low. I had not put much thought into it since I was planning on taking care of this after I fixed the trans problem, but now I will take care of the batteries first then back to the transmission. Wish me luck and Thanks

Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Low or bad batteries can take out your ficm and put undo strain on an already marginal alternator.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboy00001
I have removed the Edge programmer from the truck and am planning on taking a test drive tomorrow to see what may happen. I do know what was odd was the same day that I changed the filters and oil, the transmission went from have a little problem to doing nothing but falling on its face afterwards with major problems. I was also starting to lean towards the programmer being a problem since after I changed the shift cable with the truck being in stock mode, tested it in the drive way and the truck shifted fine. Then I reprogrammed the truck and then the truck would not move at all. I since then took it back to stock mode and after playing with it for a little bit, the truck started moving again. I also had someone tell me that low batteries maybe playing a part in this since they have been low. I had not put much thought into it since I was planning on taking care of this after I fixed the trans problem, but now I will take care of the batteries first then back to the transmission. Wish me luck and Thanks
Anybody know what the resolution was?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Anybody know what the resolution was?
yeah no kidding, posted all this then left us hanging 11 months...What gives

Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 PM
countryboy00001
Freshman User
Sorry bout it takening so long to get back dont drive this truck that often. Thought i fixed it with a couple selonoid replacement however no fix just put in shop and found out torque converter and pump bad

Old 12-05-2012, 06:41 PM
f350ranchand
Junior User
Mine was doin the same thing to it to my dealer had a whole grocery list of tranny codes left dealer ten miles down the road no gears at all now I'm puttin a low mileAge used tranny in

Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM
countryboy00001
Freshman User
Prior to taking the truck to the ford house, I removed the transmission and completely disassembled it. I was surprise to only find to sets of clutches that were partially burnt and a couple of scuff marks on the pump pistons. I cleaned everything up and installed everything back together. After this I would find out upon the test drive that I also had a bad torque converter. By this time I was tired of messing with the truck so I took it over to the ford house. I was thinking that I had a torque converter problem or a solenoid problem, however was unable to do the pin point test without the ids. Upon testing the truck at the ford house they found that there were no electrical issues. So they pulled the transmission and found that the torque converter needed to be rebuilt, the pump had one stuck valves and two sticky valves along with the clutches that were partially burnt. I gave them the go ahead to rebuild the transmission. A new transmission pump, transmission rebuild kit and to rebuild my torque converter with the newer up to date parts was only $715.00 (Parts only). Have not picked the truck up yet from the ford house so I don’t know yet what it is going to cost me there. The good part is that the company that I used to work for, I sent all the trucks over there for repairs so I hope they cut me a good deal.

Quick Reply: 2007 F350 Transmission Problems